Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Matt Toomua

Post by mightymouse »

Mentioned briefly on another thread but I thought worthy of one of his own
Looks and interesting early signing for next year. One assumes this is why De Villiers was signed up until then and toomua takes over after that. I have not seen an enormous amount of this chap but I thought the guys who have been watching a lot of super 14 might want to comment on what they think
Iain
Super User
Super User

Re: Matt Toomua

Post by Iain »

We've signed one of Super Rugby's most exciting talents. He is EXACTLY what we need.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

You must of not watched it for a while its the super 15 now and expanding next year again... :smt003

Toomua is everything you could want in a 12..Easiest way to descibe him I would say is imagine all Billy 12trees attributes and potential but instead of being inconsistent and fluffing his lines he is always right on the money..

He is a massive talent and to have him next year for 3 years is massive for us..
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

The board seem to have delivered a yet another genuine star player who will be an asset and I'm sure an inspiration to those just starting out in the game. This signing seems to raised the whole clubs standing amongst other clubs, there's some envy .
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
TheproudTiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TheproudTiger »

Just spoken to a mate of mine who works in the press office at Sarries and he said they are all talking about how good this guy Toomua is and what a great signing he is for Tigers.

Bit early really but are things looking good for us or what !!

Perhaps our best signinig really is Mauger as we seem to be getting some very good and exciting talent wanting to join him. :smt023
Last edited by TheproudTiger on Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
floridaboy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by floridaboy »

mightymouse wrote:Mentioned briefly on another thread but I thought worthy of one of his own
Looks and interesting early signing for next year. One assumes this is why De Villiers was signed up until then and toomua takes over after that. I have not seen an enormous amount of this chap but I thought the guys who have been watching a lot of super 14 might want to comment on what they think
From what I have seen of him my first reaction was "Wow" Not that I was ever a "doom monger" but I was wondering what direction my club was going, did we have any money? were we spending it on the ground? would we have any to help us get some really good players?

Well in a few weeks I think we have seen where we are going! quality signings, quality ground, quality coaches.

JDV will put a different spin on our game, the guys we have had come in are already making a huge difference, the coaching is obviously turning things around and then the signing of Toomua.
Tigers have given us all an early xmas prezzie!
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Exactly FB my thoughts exactly..during the last year I was worried at times but as soon as I heard Mauger was coming I knew everything was going to potentially be better than ever..and the early signs regarding our style of play are just everything I wanted :smt003

O'Connor is the signing that will change our game the kiwi rugby intelligence was so prevalent on Friday and will only grow as he beds in (not that Friday showed he needs to)

Cockerill stated both he and Williams would be here long term..Anyone know the lengths they signed for I hope we tied Brendan in for 3 years?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Long term usually means 3 years.
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

The best way you can describe him is that he plays 10 for his club and yet I would rank him in the top 5 12's in the game. Which clubs have a better 12? Toulon have Nonu and Giteau but other than that who could be better? He'll be the best 12 in the league by a distance. When ex players like Will Greenwood are talking about a signing like this you know you've got a good player. "Wow Matt Toomua signs for @LeicesterTigers from next season. Toomua - an absolutely sensational 12 like #pathoward #ballplayer #hardasnails" and "One hec of a signing this for The Tigers...Toomua & Tuilagi...pretty potent that..". I'd echo what has been said, he can do everything 36 can do but far better and more. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XeiFE9Nz9Q4
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

Remember the hype and media regarding Toulon signing Quade Cooper? Well Toomua has been picked ahead of him for a couple of seasons now. That's the quality of the lad.
murphy15
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by murphy15 »

I watch a lot of S15 and he is absolutely brilliant. Excellent passer, runs good lines, has surprising power, kicks well and reads the game superbly. It is a world class signing.
Ka mate, ka mate! Ka ora! ka ora!
Ka mate! Ka mate! Ka ora! Ka ora!
Tçnei te tangata pûhuruhuru
Nâna nei i tiki mai whakawhiti te râ
A upa ... ne! ka upa ... ne!
A upane kaupane whiti te ra!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I love his defending game as well, he is one of the few 12's who can attack to a high level and defend at a high level.

If Manu doesn't want to stay and have him next to him and Have so very good attacking wingers on the other side I don't know what would keep him.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

This link has been posted on the unoffy..
https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport ... rozen-out/

Seems that Cheika is keen to keep MT in the Aussie team for as long as possible.
However, I am assuming (hoping) that Cheika has his dates wrong and it is 2016, not 2017.
Alatoruk

Post by Alatoruk »

hopefully it means the 2017 season, ie sep 2016 onwards