When will postponed fixtures get played?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Maidman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

When will postponed fixtures get played?

Post by Maidman »

In the circumstances postponing the European Rugby fixtures in France this weekend was the right thing to do.

However, it must now create a scheduling problem. There are no 'spare' weekends for games to be played, mid week games feel a huge burden to clubs and a risk to player welfare, and cancelling fixtures and sharing the points could be unfair to all the clubs in each pool.

Are there contingency plans for this sort of event or is European Rugby a bit sort of stuffed?
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Re: When will postponed fixtures get played?

Post by trendylfj »

agreed that it is the right thing to do - when games have been cancelled in the past for weather they have been played on Sunday or Monday and yes that does mean a short turn round for the clubs involved. I cannot remember any instances when it has been played on the Tuesday but I think that there has been examples of switching venues but again can't quote an example. Whichever way they do it it will be wrong in some people's eyes, but it was the correct decision. Lets hope that they do the right things by the players and the fans.
Hehehehehehehehe
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Simon Halliday was on 5Live an hour ago and said they're working on it, but well aware there's no spare space to play the games with the current schedule.
LittleBigG

Post by LittleBigG »

Heh, I was thinking about this after I heard that the Bath vs Toulon game had been postponed. Toulon probably won't mind because they can just put out their the 2nd choice World XV, but I bet Bath are a bit miffed.

The only thing I can think of is that they will arrange the surrounding fixtures to be Friday, Wednesday, Sunday or maybe even Thursday, Tuesday, Sunday
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

LittleBigG wrote:The only thing I can think of is that they will arrange the surrounding fixtures to be Friday, Wednesday, Sunday or maybe even Thursday, Tuesday, Sunday
Monday? Could be Monday......
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Hiron
Tiger Cub

Post by Hiron »

Maidman wrote:Are there contingency plans for this sort of event or is European Rugby a bit sort of stuffed?
Is there any relevant information on the EPCR site? After all, they're the people running the European competitions. I would have thought they might know more than a bunch of forum members.
Maidman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Maidman »

I think that actually no one knows as yet, including European Rugby, as the decisions don't seem to have been made as yet.

There wasn't anything I can see on the official website. So I think we are into speculation territory. My guess is that something will have to be arranged mid week later in the season. The more pressing issue may be determining what happens this coming weekend if the authorities aren't comfortable holding the planned fixtures.

I think it is a very difficult situation, and the solution will inevitably involve some compromises which are unlikely to satisfy everyone.

Tis an ill wind.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Hiron wrote:
Maidman wrote:Are there contingency plans for this sort of event or is European Rugby a bit sort of stuffed?
Is there any relevant information on the EPCR site? After all, they're the people running the European competitions. I would have thought they might know more than a bunch of forum members.
During his interview Simon Halliday mentioned that they hadn't contingencies based on a terror event. However they must have contingencies based on weather postponements, but maybe not in such large a number.
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

With you Maidman. What disaster plan addresses the possibility that 130 people will be murdered in a major rugby city? ERC are probably not much further on than "what the hell do we do now?"
My bet will be on the competition having to be extended by a month to cope with the backlog that these crimes have caused.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

“It is very clear to me that the Toulon match cannot happen,” Craig told the Daily Telegraph. “The midweek option is not an option to my mind. That would be to the detriment of player welfare and the integrity of two competitions.
Hiron
Tiger Cub

Post by Hiron »

tigercaspian wrote:My bet will be on the competition having to be extended by a month to cope with the backlog that these crimes have caused.
All the Six Nations have summer tours. Australia v England, Japan v Scotland, New Zealand v Wales and South Africa v Ireland start on June 11th; Argentina v France on 18th June and Canada v Italy (date TBC but sometime in June).

If the European competitions were extended by a month, it would mean the latter stages would not include those called up for the tours. Although it's not a happy solution, I think the midweek option will be the only option. I'm just glad we've already played our opening match.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Bruce Craig using the Paris murders to have a pop at international . Classy guy.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... irman.html
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

biffer wrote:Bruce Craig using the Paris murders to have a pop at international . Classy guy.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... irman.html
The cynic in my says he's hoping to get something out of the match other than the good hiding it probably would have been! I agree with him though about the tour at the end of the season. Just a money making exercise and doesn't help with player welfare.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Hiron wrote:
tigercaspian wrote:My bet will be on the competition having to be extended by a month to cope with the backlog that these crimes have caused.
All the Six Nations have summer tours. Australia v England, Japan v Scotland, New Zealand v Wales and South Africa v Ireland start on June 11th; Argentina v France on 18th June and Canada v Italy (date TBC but sometime in June).

If the European competitions were extended by a month, it would mean the latter stages would not include those called up for the tours. Although it's not a happy solution, I think the midweek option will be the only option. I'm just glad we've already played our opening match.
Or the players are not available for touring.
rdracup
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rdracup »

Bath and Toulon have Prem/Top14 home games on 5 Dec. They should reschedule them to the European Q-F or S-F weekend in April and play w/e of 5th. If they both make it that far they will have to schedule a mid-week in the domestic competition. Craig should be thinking of creative ways to overcome this rather than scoring points in the constant club v country battle.