Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fentiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Stade Francais

Post by fentiger »

WhitecapTiger wrote:
Noddy555 wrote:again TACKLING or rather the incorrect way it was applied. I lost count of the number of times that the Stade centres, wingers and full back were ale to evade our powder puff tackles mainly from our backs, but some of our back rowers were guilty on occasions too. Geordan Murphy this your first major task in training next week.
Pop down and show them how it's done Nobby :smt023
Nobby :smt044 :smt044
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

GS wrote:Whilst not wishing to take anything from Soggy's comments there were other factors affecting the turnout last night. The weather forecast was pretty dire with rain and strong gusting winds and a low temperature. With late kick offs travel can be difficult for some, bearing in mind the distances some fans travel. Finally the game was on TV anyway.

As has already been mentioned by Ze Stade Fan, a lot of French fans spent a fair bit of their rugby money following the national team in the RWC too.

So, get dressed up in loads of layers, spend a couple of hours travelling / queuing for transport and sit in a windy cold stadium dreaming of a warm drink or pint you can't really afford or don't want to queue for OR take a stroll down to the boozer, get a nice warm seat in full view of the TV and sup your favourite brew while watching all the replays and close-ups of the action and then stagger home wearing your best beer overcoat to keep you warm. Hang on, anyone want to buy a season ticket? :smt023
I would agree with all of this. I took us 2 hours to drive 38 miles through the Friday night traffic (3.35 - 5.35)and most people won't get off as early as we did. I would expect a Saturday night to be capacity; can't understand carping about a goodly crowd, don't know about the Crumbie which seemed healthy enough but the Goldsmiths was half empty; many of the prawn sarnie brigade in the MetRx couldn't be bothered until after kickoff either.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Tackling in the backs undoubtedly let us down last night, Goneva was to the fore but surprised Betham was also flaky.That said, Brendon O'connor got stuck in and tackled very well. Not sure exactly what Geordan Murphy actually ? Fact is defence and skills are the primary responsibility of Scott Hansen.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Wow, how good was that? 0-8 down after playing all the rugby and then we started to take our chances. Should have been 5 tries with Betham's scrubbed off. Can't think of anyone who didn't put in a shift or have a good game.

Agree that the crowd was v poor. Could give both my spare tickets away for £15 so ended up handing one back to the ticket office and asked them to give it out for nothing to the next person buying a terrace ticket. Hope they did!

As for the event in Paris, Tigers and rugby fans we stand side by side with our French counterparts.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

I really enjoyed watching the physical commitment of the forwards last night and beginning to see some real bite from the dog.
I thought Williams was deserved MoM, for a young bloke he does very very well.
There was some good and some bad, potential tries hashed and all that which will always be the case for any team in any game trying to play with such intensity but the intensity was so high Leicester still bagged a bonus point.
Good to see Leicester coming back from being down early on.
I thought the referee was terrible for both teams and most decisions were a lottery, but the best team clearly won on the night.
Cheery chappy
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

jgriffin wrote:
GS wrote:Whilst not wishing to take anything from Soggy's comments there were other factors affecting the turnout last night. The weather forecast was pretty dire with rain and strong gusting winds and a low temperature. With late kick offs travel can be difficult for some, bearing in mind the distances some fans travel. Finally the game was on TV anyway.

As has already been mentioned by Ze Stade Fan, a lot of French fans spent a fair bit of their rugby money following the national team in the RWC too.

So, get dressed up in loads of layers, spend a couple of hours travelling / queuing for transport and sit in a windy cold stadium dreaming of a warm drink or pint you can't really afford or don't want to queue for OR take a stroll down to the boozer, get a nice warm seat in full view of the TV and sup your favourite brew while watching all the replays and close-ups of the action and then stagger home wearing your best beer overcoat to keep you warm. Hang on, anyone want to buy a season ticket? :smt023
I would agree with all of this. I took us 2 hours to drive 38 miles through the Friday night traffic (3.35 - 5.35)and most people won't get off as early as we did. I would expect a Saturday night to be capacity; can't understand carping about a goodly crowd, don't know about the Crumbie which seemed healthy enough but the Goldsmiths was half empty; many of the prawn sarnie brigade in the MetRx couldn't be bothered until after kickoff either.
Reading this JG reminded me of another problem on the roads in town last night. The taxi drivers were protesting against an attempt to start a disciplinary system against drivers who get complaints - as if. It consisted of driving slowly and in convoy from the racecourse, down London Road and around the city centre (an agreed route with the authorities). Our bus driver to the ground from the Wigston area was not a happy bunny with the congestion caused around the city. Depending on where you were coming from it could be a real nightmare.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
Hinckley Bob
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Hinckley Bob »

jgriffin wrote:Great game, Tigers really beginning to develop something. BOC, Williams and McCaffrey were massive :smt005
I may be a little premature with this comment but, unless we are paying a fortune for their replacements, these lads look better (and younger) than those that headed for sunny Devon. :smt001
mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mike »

I think you are not far wrong HinckleyBob ! .Not entirely convinced about McCaffrey but Williams should be the 1st name down on the teamsheet - excellent display . O'Connor marvellous !
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

mike wrote:I think you are not far wrong HinckleyBob ! .Not entirely convinced about McCaffrey but Williams should be the 1st name down on the teamsheet - excellent display . O'Connor marvellous !
McCaffrey was like a rash all over the park last night! TBH I had him as MoM :smt017
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

This must be the first time that Cockers is grateful for a few injuries. Having a fully fit squad would make selection an absolute nightmare!
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Terrific effort. Trying a bit too hard on more than a few occasions, but what an exciting time for the club! Matt Smith was outstanding all night long, and that backrow can be a serious weapon for us.

Lock, O'C and Big Bad Mike. :smt027
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Speaking of attendances, from what I've seen, it looks like pretty much everyone is down on number this season? The casual punter a bit burned out on rugby after the world cup? Or possibly already spent a lot on WC tickets so less inclined to spend on club rugby for now.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Looking at the MetX, all the side seats appeared to be full, French? So was it going to be a sell out and the season ticket holders didn't turn out, poss watching Children in Need?
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

LE18 wrote:Looking at the MetX, all the side seats appeared to be full, French? So was it going to be a sell out and the season ticket holders didn't turn out, poss watching Children in Need?
ST holders chose to drink in the pub and watch match on TV?

Perhaps Board will realise that poor catering facilities = reduced attendance?

:smt027 :smt027 :smt027
Still keeping the faith!