Matt Smith

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ourla
Super User
Super User

Matt Smith

Post by ourla »

In among the new boys, the youngsters and the returning international stars it was great to see a revived Matt Smith put in a cracking 80 minutes for us on Sunday. And I think it is very important to still have a great clubman with Tigers heritage in the squad.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Matt Smith

Post by RagingBull »

Sounds like he was having a bit of a rough time last couple of seasons and Mauger arrival has given him his mojo back.

Remember that one season where he was playing brilliant rugby (nearly got England cap) Mauger obviously likes him, great to see.
Sajerj
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Sajerj »

Ourla, looking at Tigers squad list for this season i count 23 non England players on the list. I believe this is the highest in the premiership, but i am sure somebody will correct if that comment is wrong.

As England's premier club i find that very sad. Players like Matt Smith are becoming the exception to the rule unfortunately.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

You going off EQP or just non English born players
Sajerj
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Sajerj »

I was going off their WR eliblity listing, RB.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Tigers have Ayerza, Bai, Betham, Camacho, JDv, Fitzgerald, Fonua, Leo, Goneva, Loamanu, McCaffrey, Rizzo, Roberts, Sio, Veainu and Owen.

16 the rest can all play for England under WR conditions, (Brugnara and Tiz unsure due to the italians sometimes having and A team and sometimes not).
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Sajerj wrote:I was going off their WR eliblity listing, RB.
IIRC Cockers did say a year or so ago that while Tigers want to, and will continue to develop EQPs, a club cannot have too many international players involved in the AIs and 6Ns and still remain competitive, especially in Europe. As such, Tigers would be looking at other options (e.g. PIs - my example, not Cockers) more than in the past.
Sajerj
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Sajerj »

Cagey Tiger wrote:
IIRC Cockers did say a year or so ago that while Tigers want to, and will continue to develop EQPs, a club cannot have too many international players involved in the AIs and 6Ns and still remain competitive, especially in Europe. As such, Tigers would be looking at other options (e.g. PIs - my example, not Cockers) more than in the past.
Personally i struggle with that view Cagey, but taking it at face value it highlights the disconnect between club and international rugby in England.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Unfortunately, it will get more and more like nancyball.
Unless, of course,the Premier League put some ground rules in for each club having a minimum of England qualified players in each squad
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

I thought Bosman and Kolpak made such a thing impossible to enforce?
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Sajerj wrote:
Cagey Tiger wrote:
Personally i struggle with that view Cagey, but taking it at face value it highlights the disconnect between club and international rugby in England.
I'm not sure what the view is now with the new salary cap and assorted allowances. Recruitment obviously lags behind any changes to that sort of thing.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Think that you have got it right Cagey - the new salary cap rules regarding clubs being recompensed for each player on England duty "MAY" encourage more English qualified players to be recruited/developed and clubs able to benefit from the extra money in the cap to employ a slightly larger squad. ( that is if my reading of the new cap rules are correct - but heck - forget the rules lets look for more "ambiguities".
Hehehehehehehehe
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

IMHO Matt should win this seasons "Outstanding Service" Award.
Still keeping the faith!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

RagingBull wrote:Tigers have Ayerza, Bai, Betham, Camacho, JDv, Fitzgerald, Fonua, Leo, Goneva, Loamanu, McCaffrey, Rizzo, Roberts, Sio, Veainu and Owen.

16 the rest can all play for England under WR conditions, (Brugnara and Tiz unsure due to the italians sometimes having and A team and sometimes not).
McCaffrey is EQP (quoted in several articles as one of London Welsh's reasons for bringing him from Oz). It was mentioned in commentary that Kitto may also be EQP - something to do with his mum being from Amersham. :smt002
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Hot_Charlie wrote:..... It was mentioned in commentary that Kitto may also be EQP - something to do with his mum being from Amersham. :smt002
His biog on this site say he is!
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."