If some players need extra motivation for Exe game.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

If some players need extra motivation for Exe game.

Post by RagingBull »

Could do with reading this from a bit ago.

http://m.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/Chi ... story.html
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: If some players need extra motivation for Exe game.

Post by Cagey Tiger »

RagingBull wrote:Could do with reading this from a bit ago.

http://m.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/Chi ... story.html
I think that would stoke the flames quite well. Plus what I feel is quite a bit of 2+2=5 (or 6) in the speculation department.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Loosing one world class forward is annoying for any club,
To loose three was a disaster. None more so than Salvi.
Add another going to our nearest rivals.................
Over many years I have seen players come and go but I don't ever remember
a period like this under RC.

But we are where we are and hopefully we have recruited well.
I will be at Sandy Park with the rest of my mates, shouting ourselves hoarse
but seeing our former favourites lining up against us will be a bitter pill.

I hoped AM would have full control of the club this season.
We live in hope.
A life long Tiger
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

Smudge wrote:Loosing one world class forward is annoying for any club,
Over many years I have seen players come and go but I don't ever remember
a period like this under RC.

But we are where we are and hopefully we have recruited well.
I will be at Sandy Park with the rest of my mates, shouting ourselves hoarse
but seeing our former favourites lining up against us will be a bitter pill.

I hoped AM would have full control of the club this season.
We live in hope.
I'd have liked to have kept Salvi and Parling if they had been willing to take a drop in wages. But at their ages it wouldn't have made financial sense to offer them a huge deal. Gibson is a good player, no doubt about that, he obviously didn't fit in and in Williams and Lachlan we have replaced him really well. IMO Williams has the potential to be the better player for us than Gibson would have. I was with you about Salvi before the season. Replacing Salvi with O'Connor seemed like a HUGE step down to me, but now I've seen him play, I think we've made a fantastic signing. He's younger, statistically better, he's captained Hawkes bay all season and is English qualified. It will take him time to settle in, even if it takes him a season to really settle in (which I don't think it will) I think we will be far better off in the long run. Kitch will overtake Parling soon IMO and in Fitzgerald, Slater, Kitch, De Chaves, Barrow and Williams I think we've got strength in depth as well. Giving Parling a bumper deal at his age and with his injury record just doesn't make sense. Ex will be lucky to get 1-2 seasons out of Parling at the top level. I love him as a player I really do, but financially it wouldn't have made sense IMO.
Maidman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Maidman »

Wise words Tigerlad, right with you.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Maidman wrote:Wise words Tigerlad, right with you.
Agreed. Williams has always looked a quality player - it was always a question of when, not if, he'd join a top club. McCaffrey has also been a quality signing - a kick yesterday that would rival anything to TTTE's box of tricks and Salvi's occassionally seen boot! The thing Lachlan's really brought is proper versatility.

As for Parling - injured already? Far better to spend the cap on younger players. We have a very good second row crop now to cover a busy season and any England call ups (Fitzgerald being our only non-English qualified lock?).
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

Ok, this is a comment based on the last few seasons and not this one. TTTE made a point in an interview on the Exeter web site when he joined them. He alluded that it was a very prescriptive form of coaching at Leicester, where you weren't encouraged to play your game but the 'Tigers' way. Crane was criticised for the 'one two bump' element of his play in the past few seasons. First game back from his injury and he is praised for his open play and superb pass to make a try. Gibson seems to have tried to get out of his move when Mauger's signing was announced.

Basically we are a completely different set up now. Any comment made by past players about Tigers is way out of date. What was was, but now we are different. Not the finished product but the changes we've seen so far look very promising. I think we will give Exeter a game. We might not win but we won't be the team our past players will recognise. We won't even be the complete team thanks to injuries.

TBH, I don't think any article in a local rag will mean much to our guys. They are still a work in progress but are working for their place and at Tigers that is more of an inspiration than comments from players quite a few never knew. It's going to be a long hard season but I have the feeling that we will come good, and next season we will be THE team again.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
Maximus66

Post by Maximus66 »

GS. I'm in complete agreement with you on this one.
Was absolutely gutted when Parling left, but as we've found with Moody, Hipkiss, et al; we've let certain players go at the right time.

2nd row is looking good and with Crofty seeming to have is mojo back, things seem promising; especially with arrival of O'Connor. Looking forward to seeing what he can do. McCaffrey doesn't seem to be a waste of space either.
Crane's first move on the pitch was to off-load, rather than take the contact. Watched him play in The Churchill Cup and his style of play was totally different to usual. Much more attack based. Control at the base of the scrum also seemed to improve when he arrived on the pitch.

After the Sale friendly, I came away for the first time in a while feeling very optimistic, the pessimist in me hopes it lasts! :smt002
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

Parling is a master of the line out and he has appeared so valuable to us of late because Croft has been out for such a time. With Crofty back in the mix we are not in such need of Parling's reliability here. Taking line out off the table then I would prefer Kitch and Slater as our second row pairing.

Salvi is a great player but totally agree with the above comments that O'Connor is the better long term option.

I questioned a few decisions at the time but at present I think all the transfer choices made by Tigers are looking very smart indeed.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Over many years I have seen players come and go but I don't ever remember a period like this under RC.
I think you have to look at each case in isolation rather then stacking them all up and using words like "disaster". Each case had their own story and reason behind them. Also there doesn't have to be a winner and loser in every scenario. It could well end up that all parties are happy with their lot.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

ourla wrote:
Over many years I have seen players come and go but I don't ever remember a period like this under RC.
I think you have to look at each case in isolation rather then stacking them all up and using words like "disaster". Each case had their own story and reason behind them. Also there doesn't have to be a winner and loser in every scenario. It could well end up that all parties are happy with their lot.
Agreed. Exeter have gained 3 players with experience in the AP at the top level for a number of years, something they aspire to but do not have that many players with that experience. They will help with the development of their less experienced/younger players. Even without those 3, Tigers have that experience as a club and with many of the players. They can bring on younger players and presumably get more of them as they should be cheaper.
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

It didn't seem to work. We were slowed down.
We had very few ideas

We lost.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

To be fair i though McCaffrey looked more impressive than Salvi (Behind a backwards pack).

That is something I thought I wouldn't say really when we made the signings.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Salvi does the nuts and bolts as good as anyone.
He often committed several Tigers players to rucks yesterday which left Exeter with greater numbers elsewhere.
McCaffrey is a different player.
Cheery chappy
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

The Boy Dave wrote:Salvi does the nuts and bolts as good as anyone.
He often committed several Tigers players to rucks yesterday which left Exeter with greater numbers elsewhere.
Not Saying Salvi had a poor game or anything just thought McCaffrey actually looked better in general. Just IMO.

Considering when people thought he was signed as a salvi replacement there was a bit of an up roar I thought he held his own very well today.