All the new signings together on the field

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

All the new signings together on the field

Post by Chobbsy »

In all realism are we likely to see all our new high profile signings on the pitch or put another way when will we see our strongest potential 23 and who will they be?
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Re: All the new signings together on the field

Post by ellis9 »

That's two different questions really. I wouldn't say having all of the new signings on the pitch would be our strongest team.

Would you put Founa ahead of Pearce or Crane?
Would you put Kitto ahead of Ben Youngs?
Would you put the new Tongan (forgotten his name) ahead of JDV and Manu?
JerryGas

Post by JerryGas »

Hopefully as far as what the coaches feel is "full Strength," the two Munster games in December.
Jerry, Crumbie terrace season ticket holder from South Glos.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Hopefully the Munster home match bar Manu and with him its unknown :smt003 I would say total full strength would be:

1:Ayerza
2:Youngs
3:Cole
4:Slater
5:Fitzgerald
6:Croft
7:O'Connor
8:Fonua
9:Youngs
10:Williams/Burns
11:Goneva
12:JDV
13:Manu
14:Betham
15:Tait
16:Ghilrandhi 17:Rizzo 18:Mulipola 19:Kitchener 20:Williams/Pearce 21:Harrison/Kitto 22:Burns/Williams 23:Veainu/Camacho

Lots of debates on who puts their hand up on these but I wonder if we will ever see that starting XV this season :smt003

Those not included would be the likes of Thompstone, Morris, Bell, Williams, Loamanu, Balmain, Bateman, Thacker, De Chaves, Mccaffery, Benjamin & Crane..We would have some real strength in depth for rotation etc however the odds of this happening are slim at best
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

That would be a very exciting team to put out! They would go toe to toe with any team in Europe IMHO.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

ellis9 wrote:That's two different questions really. I wouldn't say having all of the new signings on the pitch would be our strongest team.

No I'd put Fonua behind Pearce.
Ben Youngs is injured but doubt I'd put him behind Youngs.
Similarly Manu is injured but when fit there are few centres you would pick ahead of him and I suspect DeVilliers is there to allow Manu to be used at his best in the way Allen used to before getting injured and to take some of the decision making from the fly half.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Rizzo is injured for the season so he won't be on the bench, replace him with Balmain or possibly the new Canadian?
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I should think it's a bit early to play Jean de Villiers, I once too suffered from a broken jaw and it took me 3 months to get fit again.
Every time I see Peter Bethem play, I wonder why he is not representing his country in the world cup, he impresses me hugely.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

JackFlashJonny wrote:Hopefully the Munster home match bar Manu and with him its unknown :smt003 I would say total full strength would be:

16:Ghilrandhi 17:Rizzo 18:Mulipola 19:Kitchener 20:Williams/Pearce 21:Harrison/Kitto 22:Burns/Williams 23:Veainu/Camacho

Lots of debates on who puts their hand up on these but I wonder if we will ever see that starting XV this season :smt003

Those not included would be the likes of Thompstone, Morris, Bell, Williams, Loamanu, Balmain, Bateman, Thacker, De Chaves, Mccaffery, Benjamin & Crane..We would have some real strength in depth for rotation etc however the odds of this happening are slim at best
Agreed other than I'd probably have both Williams and Pearce on the bench for versatility.

As for Kitto, I think some people are kidding themselves saying "would you have him in place of Youngs". The guy is 24 and (AFAIK) hasn't actually played Super Rugby, only having been on the fringes of Canterbury and the Chiefs. A good competent player perhaps, who represented the NZ U20/, but let's not kid ourselves that we've signed an "almost" international. Until he's bedded in he'll certainly be #3 in the pecking order.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

JackFlashJonny wrote:Hopefully the Munster home match bar Manu and with him its unknown :smt003 I would say total full strength would be:

I know this will really annoy most fans but I would say Mccaffery before Croft on current form, he has already shown he can play right across the back row
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

ellis9 wrote:That's two different questions really. I wouldn't say having all of the new signings on the pitch would be our strongest team.

The new Tongan Telusa Veainu is I thought a wing?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Croft for me has been amazing IMO.

He has been getting stuck in the tight more than i have ever seen him and is actually effective.

Also lineout ability is so handy.

Veainu is a winger really and the choice between him, Goneva, Betham and Thompstone ATM is brilliant to have.