Post by Timbo15 »

A good recap of all the salary cap stuff so far

http://therugbytimes.com/2015/10/30/sal ... ts-so-far/
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: Can we please see our own salary cap announcement like t

Post by sapajo »

Gloucester Rugby are fully supportive of the Salary Cap and believe its existence and effectiveness is crucial to ensure a level playing field across the Aviva Premiership. It also reinforces the Aviva Premiership's position as the most competitive league in the world whilst protecting the long-term financial wellbeing of clubs. The agreed levels of the salary cap going forward ensures that English clubs also have the ability to compete with Europe's elite.

As a club, we always try to operate with the highest integrity and we are fully committed to making the Salary Cap work and as such, in light of current questioning, would like to communicate that Gloucester Rugby is not one of the clubs to which Premiership Rugby referred within its statement as being involved in conversations relating to access to information and to commercial contracts where there were differences of opinion as to the inclusion or not in a salary cap.

Gloucester Rugby will be making no further comment on the matter.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Spend days waiting for a bus to come and then they all arrive together. Ditto for salary cap statement announcements they are now coming thick and fast. That said, I believe Tigers are now waiting upon Saracens to issue a statement before issuing their own.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Flash

Post by Flash »

Only 5 clubs have made statements to say they weren't involved in investigations/settlements. The rest of just said they didn't breach the cap which apparently no one did. So it's still as clear as mud.
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

From Bath, "English clubs have been significantly disadvantaged both within domestic and European competitions."
Yes: in particular the ones who abided by the cap. And the prize for the most brazen mockery of all rugby fans goes to...
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

sapajo wrote:Bath Rugby Statement

30 October 2015

In response to recent speculation, Bath Rugby would like to clarify its position for the 2014/2015 season.

Bath Rugby can confirm the Club was within the salary cap for the 2014/15 season.
So that confirms that Bath were one of the two teams that exceeded the cap in the 2013/2014 season. We of course knew that.
jonlin
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by jonlin »

I have read some of the amusing comments posted on this forum, calling for a statement regarding the salary cap. I would just like to point out that Leicester Tigers are a PLC. Being a PLC their accounts have to be submitted on time to HMRC, if you miss your deadline you are issued with a draconian fine. For a nominal fee anyone can go on line and view the accounts of any limited company in the UK. For those out there who do not understand balance sheets, I am sure the financial section of the journo's have scrutinized them thoroughly. If they had found we had breach the salary cap it would have hit the headlines way before now. The other clubs make public statements because their accounts are only available to their owners, some seem to accept these statements as gospel without any scrutiny of their accounts. Private companies do not have a legal requirement to anyone other than HMRC to show a full and honest set of accounts.
Please do not go down the road that a PLC are paying people of the books. If it is found that this is happening in a limited company, the directors a barred from running companies. Most of Tigers directors run their only successful companies and they are not going to put them on the line.
arickett

Post by arickett »

To save you the fee the accounts submitted are available unnder the agm section of this web site but they would not show up the getting the sponser to pay your staff for you as is alleged.
jonlin
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by jonlin »

arickett wrote:To save you the fee the accounts submitted are available unnder the agm section of this web site but they would not show up the getting the sponser to pay your staff for you as is alleged.
Take it you think it's as simple as that,sponsors pay them out of petty cash. Should do some homework before making comments like that.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Apparently as reported in the press (see http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/o ... cap-breach) we are now one of only three clubs to say nothing publicly on this recent salary cap issue. This is not good for public relations... I hope someone will say something soon!
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Mark harbinger, my thoughts exactly! We are now out on a limb, and without a statement like Wasps we will be pilloried as being one of the "cheating" teams.

I can already hear The Shed reverting to their cries of old.

Sad day for Tigers.

I we are not in the clear, I will not be renewing my ST, and will spend my money at a club that is in the clear. I would not like to be associated with Bath, Saracens . . . . Or Tigers?
Valhalla I am coming!
Snorbins
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Snorbins »

Got to love the holier than thou attitude!
Am I right in seeing and hence saying that one club has specifically referred to their activities in the 2014 / 2015 season?
Creature
Tiger Cub

Post by Creature »

TomWeston wrote:Wasn't it the 2013/14 salary cap which was investigated and where 2 clubs were allegedly in breach?

Baarrff being a bit careful in their statement?
Good point. That statement raised more questions than it answered.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

It's all just becoming an exercise in obfuscation for the clubs under suspicion, apart from Leicester and Sarries, who at the moment are taking the ostrich approach.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Creature
Tiger Cub

Post by Creature »

In the Telegraph on 20 December, 2014, Steve James wrote:
Saracens and Bath are being investigated for alleged breaches of the salary cap.

Premier Rugby yesterday said it could not confirm the investigation because of its rules dictate that such inquiries remain confidential, but neither the league nor the two clubs denied a report in the Daily Mail that claimed that the inquiry was prompted after a ‘whistleblower’ – thought to be an unhappy agent – complained to the Premiership salary-cap auditors.

Premiership Rugby said: “Any such investigation would be done under the salary capping regulations 2013-14. Regulation 15 of those regulations provides that any such proceedings are confidential.”

The salary cap is currently £5 million per club, excluding the wage of one marquee player. Any breach of it can lead to severe penalties, including fines and points deductions, which can range from four points for a £75,000 breach to 40 points for one of more than £250,000.

Saracens began a drive to scrap the cap last week but Leicester and Northampton last night both gave their support for it.

“The cap is there for a reason,” Richard Cockerill, the Leicester director of rugby, said. “It is a good thing because it keeps the league competitive. For sides like ourselves, Gloucester and [Northampton] Saints who pay our own bills and have a robust financial structure then we spend what we can afford to spend. That is a good model to be part of. You would like it to be loosened in bits to compete in Europe. There is no point having one or two sides who can spend £15 million and the rest £5 million or £6 million because that makes the league pretty uneven domestically. We can only afford to spend what we’ve got. We are a plc. We are not in debt and at this point that is exactly how we want to stay.”

Jim Mallinder, the Northampton director of rugby, said: “My board are very supportive. They give me money to spend up to that salary cap. We can’t go to £15 million or £20 million. I’ve no interest in scrapping it. You will have to ask the board whether they are prepared to spend more money but I would guess the answer is no.”
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... reach.html

In their statement, Bath Rugby denied any wrongdoing in the 2014-15 season. Hmmm.