Tigers v Quins.....The aftermath.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Tigers v Quins.....The aftermath.

Post by Big Dai »

Out from the back of the settee. Remy in hand. God! We huffed and puffed 2nd half. Big call for the young 9.

There were positive glimmers from Williams (0) and Beetham in the first. Back row looks a bit unbalanced without Salvs. Like England in disguise.............and I thought we were good at scrummaging?

The injury front looks worrying. Bell? Bai? and is Owen OK? Logo looks to have a knock as well.

I'll take the win...........the nerves need healing before next week.
Last edited by Big Dai on Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Quins.....The aftermath.

Post by RagingBull »

We need Ayerza back.
Ben white looks a very good prospect.
Umaga is our next in line 10 IF Bell is out.
Back row wasn't so bad, O'Connor is the key. Pearce should start next week.
Scrums will come along as team spends more time together.
Williams, Fitzgerald are prob our starting locks ATM.
Betham looks very good, looks a winger playing 13 though.
O'Connor is here Tuesday.

BUT Quins have prob the best record @ Welford road and to beat them is a no small feat.
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

Big Dai wrote: I thought we were good at scrummaging?
With the refereeing of the scrum as crooked as Lambert's scrummaging (not to mention Sinckler and Jones binding on the arm throughout), it's no wonder that our props weren't as stable as usual.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

With the refereeing of the scrum as crooked as Lambert's scrummaging (not to mention Sinckler and Jones binding on the arm throughout), it's no wonder that our props weren't as stable as usual.
I thought both Balmain and Lambert both couldn't scrummage straight, both lacking strength and technique, both average IMO.
Scrum got nailed big time after Thacker came on, losing his bind on the 3 under pressure also.
Betham looks a classy player, he has a very good outside break.
We already knew Owen Williams is a class player.
Young kid that came on near the end looked like a rabbit in headlights, don't think I've ever seen anyone look so scared, kept it in play with the clock up but needs must I suppose.
Also the idiot who shouted out when Evans was about to kick the penalty missed, he made the difference today.
Cheery chappy
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

The Boy Dave wrote:Also the idiot who shouted out when Evans was about to kick the penalty missed, he made the difference today.
Reminds me, I see that Tom Youngs was made man of the match. Whilst I don't disagree, I thought Mike Williams, Lachlan McCaffrey, and Tom Croft also had excellent games. Despite his speed out wide, the option of having Croft as a carrier into gaps that appear as a game goes on infield will be a successful strategy throughout the season.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Big Dai wrote:The injury front looks worrying. Bell? Bai? and is Owen OK? Logo looks to have a knock as well.
Cockers said on Radio Leicester after the game that all were OK, Bai took an elbow (Quins 8 leading with elbow?) Bell banged his knee on the advertising boards but not serious.

Agree on taking the win. Big sigh of relief at the end.

Couldn't see the big screen clearly but did our player actually knock the ball on which gave Quins scrum ball from which they scored their try? Ia some the ref was looking to see if it was deliberate knock on but the (partially obscured) view I had made it appear our player had hit Quins arm and they dropped the ball - happy to be corrected.

Sinckler binding on the arm seemed obvious but unpunished.

Marlers hit on Williams looked late from the terrace, again, couldn't see the replay clearly.

Quins offside constantly, or so it seemed.

But I'm sure there were things we got away with too.

Cockers very honest afterwards, we didn't play very well but hard fought wins could be the difference at the end of the season.

Still work to do, many players still in the wings to return as well though.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
PaleoTiger

Post by PaleoTiger »

We have a poor record against Quims at home so I'll take the result regardless of the performance. Nick Evans looked very very good and the games momentum changed when he went off. I thought that we had no line breakers today and Quins always seemed to get the better of the 50/50 decisions or they got the better of the refs decisions. Whilst mentioning the ref he made some interesting calls and seemed to miss a lot of Quins being off side.

Owen Williams did fabulously stepping up from the bench for most of the match, I was gutted to see Tommy Bell go off, he is really looking better and better the more he plays. Really nervous when Williams went down after Bell was off, but shook it off. Cockers has played down the injuries on RL so hopefully all is OK.

I thought the game changed on 65 mins when Evans went off and we started to get the rub of the green, though the game may have been different if Quins had started with their England internationals, but then again so could we if we had our first choice players.
I'm trying not to be negative but I just feel that we were second best for most of the game and kind of feel that we've committed daylight robbery. And yet we've not played our best and won the game, Man U won league titles playing like that and I think that we will look back on this result as a massive 4pts for us. I'll take the win thank you very much :)
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

Winning is the most important thing, but we were pretty :censored:. First time our scrum has ever been pushed around in a long time. We were so noncompetitive at the breakdown.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

PaleoTiger wrote:We have a poor record against Quims at home so I'll take the result regardless of the performance. Nick Evans looked very very good and the games momentum changed when he went off. I thought that we had no line breakers today and Quins always seemed to get the better of the 50/50 decisions or they got the better of the refs decisions. Whilst mentioning the ref he made some interesting calls and seemed to miss a lot of Quins being off side.

Owen Williams did fabulously stepping up from the bench for most of the match, I was gutted to see Tommy Bell go off, he is really looking better and better the more he plays. Really nervous when Williams went down after Bell was off, but shook it off. Cockers has played down the injuries on RL so hopefully all is OK.

I thought the game changed on 65 mins when Evans went off and we started to get the rub of the green, though the game may have been different if Quins had started with their England internationals, but then again so could we if we had our first choice players.
I'm trying not to be negative but I just feel that we were second best for most of the game and kind of feel that we've committed daylight robbery. And yet we've not played our best and won the game, Man U won league titles playing like that and I think that we will look back on this result as a massive 4pts for us. I'll take the win thank you very much :)
Agree on Owen. I thought he was a shout for MoM? I liked he and Bell playing together. I like the options a footballing 12 brings.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

Agree with the win is a win brigade, particularly against Quins who have had a hex on us recently .
If Evans going off was a key moment, then surely Williams' brilliant corkscrew kick to the corner that gave us the lineout leading to the Pearce try was as significant .
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

Our inability to hold the rolling mauls was a concern to me. Must have been close to being a penalty try when Harrison pulled the one down at the end.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Hate to agree with O'Shea, but the ref didn't do either side any favours at the scrum, and may have cost Quins a try, (but not a penalty try at the end, as O'S thought).

Tigers never really looked threatening, but neither really did Quins, although they dominated possession. Our new signings, plus Owen WIlliams all looked good, but the scrum was awful with the problems not all down to poor Redding, particularly when Quins brought on their subs.

Much to do, but a win is a win, particularly one against a team which has caused us all sorts of problems over the past few seasons.
Valhalla I am coming!
LeicesterImp

Post by LeicesterImp »

Not a thrilling game winning ugly is always a good habit to get into though. I'm a fan of Pearce and glad he got the try. Disappointed not to see Fonua against their 8 - That collision would have caused a minor earthquake!
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

We were dire against their rolling maul. But hey, we won. And that's no mean feat against Quins home or away. We've lost against them before. Happy to take the four points even if they do get one.
Now,it's on to the pests
philw
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by philw »

[quote

Couldn't see the big screen clearly but did our player actually knock the ball on which gave Quins scrum ball from which they scored their try? Ia some the ref was looking to see if it was deliberate knock on but the (partially obscured) view I had made it appear our player had hit Quins arm and they dropped the ball - happy to be corrected.

[/quote]

It was Thompstone trying to tackle the Quins player who knocked on. Ref deemed it not deliberate, in the act of tackling.
According to a certain Mr Healey who was commentating, Thompstone shouldn't have had his arms up, but I'm not sure how's he meant to tackle without lifting his arms.
Listening to the pouring rain
Waiting for the world to change
Beginning to wonder if we'll wait in vain
For one fine day