Post by Tigerbeat »

SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Nigel Owens set to referee World Cup final

Post by Stu_F »

Seems probable seeing as he's not involved this weekend. Although nor was Mr Joubert and he's the one with previous experience of Finals.
billymclaren
Tiger Cub

Post by billymclaren »

hallelujah best ref in the world by miles.....reffed the recent all blacks hammering of aussies and it was a fantastic game ....he is smarter clever better communicator calmer under pressure and has more empathy for the game than all the other useless refs put together
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

billymclaren wrote: than all the other useless refs put together
I am pleased that you are including him in the class of useless refs.

Shouldn't we have a competent one for the WC final? {erhaps that is too much to ask.

:smt003
Still keeping the faith!
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Owen has proved his bias over the years against both England and Tigers.
I wouldn't trust him to sit the right way on a lavatory.

Forum rules prevent me from venting my full feelings about this odious, squeaking.................................
A life long Tiger
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Bill W (2) wrote:
billymclaren wrote: than all the other useless refs put together
I am pleased that you are including him in the class of useless refs.

Shouldn't we have a competent one for the WC final? {erhaps that is too much to ask.

Hence why it should be Nigel Owens, did he give a penalty against Tigers somewhere in history so now he is a gash ref?
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

But probably the one most likely to keep an eye on Kiwi law-pushing ?
In which case a good thing.
However, per previous post on this issue (why do we need a new one please - can they be merged?) he will only be applying the laws according to the slant that RWC Refs Committee has told him to put on them.
Personally, although we can all point out errors he has made (so unlike our players, right ?) I congratulate the bloke on reaching the top of his professional tree and wish him a successful final.
jonlin
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by jonlin »

It's been confirmed via twitter Nigels got the gig.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Barnes and Garces running the line. Barring a minor miracle of England and France contesting the 2019 final, I suspect one of those two will get that gig.
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

Have you not been following the debate?? Barnes will never get that gig because we are peaking for 2019 !!
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

tigercaspian wrote:Have you not been following the debate?? Barnes will never get that gig because we are peaking for 2019 !!
A peak under SLancaster is a trough!

Still keeping the faith!
pipkoi

Post by pipkoi »

Really interesting programme on BBC1 Wales last night about Nigel Owens. Well worth catching on iPlayer if it's on or here http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06hh344
Pip
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Good decision. He is undoubtedly one of the four candidates I would have chosen. His communication skills with players are excellent and with the advent of technology we can now hear the reasons behind every decision he makes. I'm looking forward to an excellent final and I hope the all blacks stuff the aussies by more than 30 points.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

A victory for showmanship over function. A chattering buffoon who makes it up as he goes along.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I watched the all blacks France game last night as I HaD not had the opprtunity previously and it confirmed to me what I already thought. Referees like Owen let teams like the All Blacks away with murder.
Players like Macaw are constantly offside and even when the do pick them up they never go in the bin. On one occasion piccamoles let's his frustration get the better of him and he goes to the bin. Had Owen been the great referee he is supposed to be he would have binned the French 8 then turned to Macaw and said 'what caused this infringement is your persistent offside and holding a man back and for that you also get 10 minutes to consider your futures actions'
The all blacks always encroach the back foot, never picked up. The catchers jump with a leading foot studs up and on one occasion injured the hapless piccamoles.

Their constant infringement is sent 2 or 3 blocking runners in almost every move Al la NFL. It drives me insane.

On one of the last tries there was a blatent forward pass(which seems

obligatory in almost every move) that Owen was checking with TMO and he allowed Carter to take the kick an then joked with him back to the restart that he took it quickly. Instead he should simply have said 'wait I have to check something'

This type of lax refereeing on behalf of the 'better' team allows these guys to edge the close games ,no help to France in this case but certainly would have helped Scotland vs Australia who defiantly got favourites 'rub of the green' with Joubert handed the aussies a game they did not deserve to win

It may seem odd for me to say it but I think Barnes has been the best ref in this tournament.