Jean De Villiers - UPDATED - threads merged

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Jean De Villiers - UPDATED - threads merged

Post by The Boy Dave »

Well, there is one better way. By playing.

I'm in favour of this short-term signing as a stop-gap until the arrival of a long-term world-class signing. However, that doesn't stop me regretting that it is necessary to make these signings to cover a problem position.

We let a talented academy product go, and he went on to international honours and currently captains a Premiership rival. Since his departure, we've made a series of short-term signings at 12, such as Bowden (a one-season regular), Bai (a 35-year old definition of short-term) and now de Villiers (signed for less than a season).

I only hope that de Villiers is the last of these short-term stop-gaps and that the (rumoured) incoming marquee player is a genuine long-term option who won't have his head turned by the wages on offer abroad. Tigers really need to start building some consistency because the player turnover for the last few seasons has been excessive and probably a contributing factor to the club's declining performances.

It's possible to simultaneously be optimistic and excited about de Villiers' arrival and a little frustrated that we need to look for a 6-month signing in this situation.
I assume you refer to 36.
Could you tell me 4071, if Leicester had tried to match the Gloucester offer would you be happy to do so if it meant releasing all the other development players to pay him?
I don't know for sure what he earns, but is 2-300k pa a reasonable amount to pay someone to learn on the job, or should it be more reasonable to accept less as recompense for patience and loyalty, prove yourself and then get the rewards?
In a world gone mad a club could just about manage a 1st team squad of about 20 players learning on the job by your measure.
Yes he has gained international honours, how did that work out? Not worth much in bragging rights presently I'd say.
To be fair I also don't see him as the future defensive lynchpin in a side!
Cheery chappy
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

I am getting a bit fed up of those who while being excited (or not) by the prospect of JDV playing for us bemoan having to have a short term signing in this key position. Nobody seems to have pondered why this happened...

...Anthony Allen sadly announced his very premature retirement on 25th June this year! We had a player who was excellent in his position, a favourite of many on this forum, if somewhat injury prone, and probably looking to play for a good few more years at Tigers. We didn't need a brilliant 12, we already had one. The problem was keeping him fit and away from Stanley knives. His retirement left a dirty great hole and very little time to fill it. In answer to previous posters, the likes of Bowden and Bai were signed as cover, not first choice, because we had Ant.

:censored: who was going to be available at that short notice who was young and remotely any good, let alone world class? Unless someone popped up unheralded at the WC who was out of contract, it was always likely to be a stop gap, a player coming to the end of their career, possibly looking for a change of scenery or a SH player wanting to play in in the Premiership, like Thorn (who was an injury dispensation for when Ed Slater was ruled out at the start of last season, a fact conveniently ignored by those who moan about why he was signed - who was :censored: available then?).

So, given the short notice, and with most decent players signed up for the season, who do we go after and, eventually, after much persuasion, get? The frigging SA captain, with 100 caps, 50 (ish) as captain, that's who. He may a bit over the hill, but it is a big ruddy hill to come down from. Jeez, some people... :smt009. Given the situation, name me any player that we could have got who would be better?

4071, there's an even better way to improve the young centres than just playing, training with JDV and playing. True, they may not get much game time, although last season seems to have convinced Cockers that younger players do need some game time apart from the LV (and not only due to injuries). If we hadn't signed JDV, they still might not get much game time and they wouldn't have had the benefit of his experience.

Rant over.

If a lot of these points are the same as TBD, it took me so long to write this, he snuck in with two posts while I was writing.
Last edited by Cagey Tiger on Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

The reasons behind 36 and/or Bowden's departures may not be the club getting rid, but players not being happy with coaches at that time. I have suggested before that our current backplay woes are a legacy.
PS Cagey tiger :smt023
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

Billy plays mostly at 10 for Glos. Either way he has never really set the world alight since he left us.

JDV is a great signing. He might not be with us for more than a year but at the moment I'm only interested in this years silverware and he is superbly equipped to help us challenge for this. If the team were full of older guys then I would get worried but that is far from the case. If anything, and since the departure of Geordan, we have really missed some experience in the back line to mend things on the pitch when things aren't going to plan. He can do this probably better than anyone else currently playing in the Premiership.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

If a lot of these points are the same as TBD, it took me so long to write this, he snuck in with two posts while I was writing.
Possibly the same because we were writing the blindingly obvious!
Cheery chappy
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

The Boy Dave wrote:
Possibly the same because we were writing the blindingly obvious!
To me and you, maybe. It seemed to need spelling out to some :smt023 :smt003
Timbo15
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Timbo15 »

http://therugbytimes.com/2015/10/28/coc ... e-signing/

de Villiers is NOT our marquee signing
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Timbo15 wrote:http://therugbytimes.com/2015/10/28/coc ... e-signing/

I, too, would be pleading poverty if I was negotiating terms with a further star signing. Or is that wishful thinking?
Edit: or renegotiating with Manu / YBY etc
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

L Smith wrote:

I, too, would be pleading poverty if I was negotiating terms with a further star signing. Or is that wishful thinking?
Edit: or renegotiating with Manu / YBY etc
Maybe wrong, but I read Cockers' comments as being thinly veiled regarding certain salary cap busters :smt017
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

Should be a quality signing for us - for however long he stays.

If it's just until our long term marquee 12 arrives, then I'll take it, thanks :smt023
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Perhaps Tigers should take a leaf out of the Aviation industry and pay our players on a "power by the hour" basis. :smt002
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Blabyboy

Post by Blabyboy »

I'm sure we have some great prospects within the club who play in the midfield. Well, they have just become better prospects now that they have Aaron and JDV to learn from. Great news for the club in my opinion.
The sooner we get done, the more we can do !
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

This is exactly what I thought and what I hoped for. Now fit in another class player who will be with us for the long term and I really will believe that Santa brings presents to those who behave not just those with a lot of money.
Hehehehehehehehe
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

trendylfj wrote:

This is exactly what I thought and what I hoped for. Now fit in another class player who will be with us for the long term and I really will believe that Santa brings presents to those who behave not just those with a lot of money.
But then again, Santa does seem to bring better presents to richer people, like the millionaire I know whose wife got a Porsche for Christmas. I think she did more than sit on his knee (Santa's that is) and promise to be a good girl. :smt023

Plus signing de Villiers says to me that it will be a season before the guy we are targeting is free.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

GS wrote:
trendylfj wrote:

But then again, Santa does seem to bring better presents to richer people, like the millionaire I know whose wife got a Porsche for Christmas. I think she did more than sit on his knee (Santa's that is) and promise to be a good girl. :smt023

Plus signing de Villiers says to me that it will be a season before the guy we are targeting is free.
Can't disagree with you GS
Hehehehehehehehe