Jean De Villiers - UPDATED - threads merged

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Jean De Villiers - UPDATED - threads merged

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Bowden Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bowden Tiger »

Hot Charlie, I have to disagree with you. All of the short term players you mention brought something different to the club. If we don't bring in new blood, ideas etc we will become stale.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

As a short term signing, it makes sense. Clearly there weren't a vast number of options, and to get a man with that much experience, and who coaches still believe is capable of playing international rugby, can't be bad.
Bowden Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bowden Tiger »

Plus of course are the commercial aspects. There were quite a few empty seats in the Cat stand, and I am sure that would not have been the case if De Villiers had been in our line up.This man is world class, if now coming towards the end of his career.
This shows that the club do not want to stand still, or worse go backwards. We cannot afford another season being 'in the doldrums'.

The club cannot afford to stagnate!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Bowden Tiger wrote:Hot Charlie, I have to disagree with you. All of the short term players you mention brought something different to the club. If we don't bring in new blood, ideas etc we will become stale.
As the smileys were meant to indicate, I was joking... :smt001

:smt002

As for JDV, just like all the short term signings before him, he should do well, assuming he steers clear of injury. A perfect replacement for the unplanned loss of Anthony Allen.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

This is just a ploy to take advantage on the 2 for 1 offer on jaw break repairs at the Leicester Royal Infirmary.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: JDV

Post by RagingBull »

Iain wrote:I am almost getting bored of typing this:

The fact that Tigers have consistently been in the market for a one year deal for a 12 this summer is a pretty clear indication that they think they have got the player they want for next season. They were prepared to spend big, but the right man isn't available until next season. In the meantime, with the ability to do so within the salary cap and club budget, it strikes me as a very good idea to sign someone to play in the 12 position who was prepared to sign a short term deal. The way to do that is sign someone with experience, who gives you the added bonus of mentoring some of the younger players around him who will learn a lot from him (if the thought of Manu learning off De Villiers doesn't excite you then it should!).

Thorn was brought in to add extra cover in the second row. Yes he had a couple of injuries, but was immense when he played. Speak to any forward and they'll tell you they learned a lot from his influential presence.

So actually, I see this as a very sensible LONG term move when you look at the bigger picture.

This why can't some people see this is for this season only?
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Is George Smith a bad signing for Wasps, or Matfield for Saints??
Or will they bring a level of experience to help nurture some of the promising young players.
There were a few stories about the positive effect Brad Thorn had last year, not just on the pitch, but players like him it's also with the level of professionalism they exhibit around training, looking after themselves etc etc.
Going into this World Cup, Jean De Villiers is a current first choice Springbok, and captain at that.
On a deliberate specified short term deal, it's a no brainer. Help mentor the likes of Roberts and Catchpole as centres, and also a guiding hand outside of Burns and Williams. The fact it's so deliberately a short term deal can only lead me to assume we have someone specific in mind/in place for next year. As a planned out strategy, assuming we have someone like Toomua lined up, getting De Villiers in for 12 months as a safe pair of hands to help hold the fort until then is very sensible.
The other side to this, is if he likes it, he may just be useful in terms of selling us to future S.African signings. Mauger, Gibson and Howard remained useful contacts.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Could be a very useful signing for a season if we are purchasing a top quality much younger like for like replacement in 2017
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Signed JDV and folk are talking about who is in line for next year, as if it's more important.
All speculation, usually started by the same rumour mongers who are usually wrong.
Expect a different level of defensive brain and attacking link play come the run in, he is a special player and will improve the chances of success greatly in my opinion.
Cheery chappy
Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Doghashadhisday »

The Boy Dave wrote: Expect a different level of defensive brain and attacking link play come the run in, he is a special player and will improve the chances of success greatly in my opinion.
Totally agree with you. If not for his injury he may well have led SA to a victory over New Zealand. If we can get Manu fit JDV will help us unlock the best defences. As far as I am concerned the excitement and expectations have just gone up a notch with this signing. :smt023
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Re: JDV

Post by Chobbsy »

Noddy555 wrote:I think that there would be more excitement if we had firmer news and if
maybe JDV was a tad younger. At 34 what length of contract are we offering him.
34, well if he goes the way Brad Thorn did we should have him playing well for 7 years
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

If it is only a half year contract, I would suspect that he would not be the 2nd marquee but we can only speculate on that. But, if true, it would still leave the possibility to sign another player in that role.
Hehehehehehehehe
murphy15
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by murphy15 »

Had it not been for a jaw injury (not exactly a career threatener, that) he would have been first-choice for the Boks. Similar player to AA at this stage in his career I reckon - great distribution and vision, not the quickest but reads the game excellently. Great to have inside of Betham / Manu. Brings so much experience and heart, and the younger Tigers (who will get more game time this season) will have grown up idolising players like him. The lift it will give them is not to be underestimated. Thorne had a huge impact on the atmosphere in the squad as much as anything else. I expect JDV to do the same, and I hope that all the moaners get fully behind him and welcome him with open arms to WR - another legend of the game through our gates! WELCOME! :smt026 :smt026 :smt026
Ka mate, ka mate! Ka ora! ka ora!
Ka mate! Ka mate! Ka ora! Ka ora!
Tçnei te tangata pûhuruhuru
Nâna nei i tiki mai whakawhiti te râ
A upa ... ne! ka upa ... ne!
A upane kaupane whiti te ra!
floridaboy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by floridaboy »

The Boy Dave wrote:Signed JDV and folk are talking about who is in line for next year, as if it's more important.
All speculation, usually started by the same rumour mongers who are usually wrong.
Expect a different level of defensive brain and attacking link play come the run in, he is a special player and will improve the chances of success greatly in my opinion.
Your opinion is spot on, so much garbage on this thread. True everyone is entitled to an opinion, but for goodness sake guys, this man is still a quality signing. If he is that bad, who would you play at 12 from our squad as it stands !