Jean De Villiers - UPDATED - threads merged

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Louis

Re: JDV

Post by Louis »

Crikey! It looks like some of my attempt at being satirical was not wide of the mark.

I don't like being right, it annoys my wife. Stop it immediately.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Iain wrote:I am almost getting bored of typing this:

The fact that Tigers have consistently been in the market for a one year deal for a 12 this summer is a pretty clear indication that they think they have got the player they want for next season. They were prepared to spend big, but the right man isn't available until next season. In the meantime, with the ability to do so within the salary cap and club budget, it strikes me as a very good idea to sign someone to play in the 12 position who was prepared to sign a short term deal. The way to do that is sign someone with experience, who gives you the added bonus of mentoring some of the younger players around him who will learn a lot from him (if the thought of Manu learning off De Villiers doesn't excite you then it should!).

Thorn was brought in to add extra cover in the second row. Yes he had a couple of injuries, but was immense when he played. Speak to any forward and they'll tell you they learned a lot from his influential presence.

So actually, I see this as a very sensible LONG term move when you look at the bigger picture.
We have differing opinions and therefore I expect them to be spun to suit personal agendas.

However, whilst the CA grin, dribble and methodically clap, some of us worry that Tigers can't seem to hold on to some very good players of late, that stop gap players (regardless of their perceived ability) are parachuted in for half a season and then leave and that there are too many foreign players in the squad.

If it was good for the squad, we wouldn't be having this conversation, but clearly it hasn't worked satisfactorily (by the team's traditionally high standards). So, just how long is this long term plan going to take to bare fruit?

Its been debated before but I and many others see a gradual decline at the club, I'm sure many others will spin it the other way.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
parkerd68
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by parkerd68 »

Personally, having just read the Mercury article that an announcement is imminent, I'm quite happy with this. I'll happily change my opinion as and when!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Merc are reporting that he'll arrive Dec 1st on a 6 month contract.
Knightonian

Post by Knightonian »

Hearing Cockers talk about the attrition over 28 weeks I'm v pleased we've got someone to support Bai
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

The fact that Tigers have consistently been in the market for a one year deal for a 12 this summer is a pretty clear indication that they think they have got the player they want for next season. They were prepared to spend big, but the right man isn't available until next season. In the meantime, with the ability to do so within the salary cap and club budget, it strikes me as a very good idea to sign someone to play in the 12 position who was prepared to sign a short term deal. The way to do that is sign someone with experience, who gives you the added bonus of mentoring some of the younger players around him who will learn a lot from him (if the thought of Manu learning off De Villiers doesn't excite you then it should!).

Thorn was brought in to add extra cover in the second row. Yes he had a couple of injuries, but was immense when he played. Speak to any forward and they'll tell you they learned a lot from his influential presence.

So actually, I see this as a very sensible LONG term move when you look at the bigger picture.

Couldn't agree with this more Iain... :smt023

Roly who have Tigers lost recently that you feel aggrieved about?

Salvi-O'Connor is going to prove he is so much better than Salvi
Ford- Lets not start this again he left for Daddy
Gibson- Even he knows he made an error but he is no Croft
Parling- We are very well stocked at lock and the money has bene used wisley elsewhere
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Short time signings to serve a purpose is no new thing either.

John Welborne back in 1999. Jaco van der Westhuyzen after the 2003 World Cup. Lote Tuqiri, Brad Thorn....

Surely everyone can see that they did a good job in the time they were here right?
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Roly wrote:

We have differing opinions and therefore I expect them to be spun to suit personal agendas.

However, whilst the CA grin, dribble and methodically clap, some of us worry that Tigers can't seem to hold on to some very good players of late, that stop gap players (regardless of their perceived ability) are parachuted in for half a season and then leave and that there are too many foreign players in the squad.

If it was good for the squad, we wouldn't be having this conversation, but clearly it hasn't worked satisfactorily (by the team's traditionally high standards). So, just how long is this long term plan going to take to bare fruit?

Its been debated before but I and many others see a gradual decline at the club, I'm sure many others will spin it the other way.
Roly, more than happy to hear your opinions. If you were to give some specific names and examples that have led you to this point, you could even sway me to your side. I certainly agree that Tigers degree of success has slipped recently and am open to thoughts on why others think this has happened.

One thing though, why does almost everyone on here who is distinctly unhappy with Tigers over the last few seasons label people with opposing views as happy clappers and also feel the need to indulge in personal insults? Often a variation of "you're living in cloud cuckoo land". Not saying that they are the only ones, but it has been a very recurrent theme.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Iain wrote:Short time signings to serve a purpose is no new thing either.

John Welborne back in 1999. Jaco van der Westhuyzen after the 2003 World Cup. Lote Tuqiri, Brad Thorn....

Surely everyone can see that they did a good job in the time they were here right?
Yeah, none of them were any good... :smt002 :smt003
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Lewington is prob the one that I wished we had kept the most TBH. Purdy looks good now but Ctachpole was playing better @ Nottingham and in the LV cup at the time IMO, and to be fair i thought he look sharp against Irish.

Squad is 44 players:

We have Foreign born players not with the academy
Ayerza, Bai, Betham, Camacho, De Chaves, Fitzgerald, Fonua, Ghiraldini, Goneva, Kitto, Loamanu, McCaffrey, Morris, Mulipola, O'Connor, Rizzo, roberts, Sio, williams.M, Williams.O, Veainu. (21)

English born non academy:
Barrow, Bateman, Bell, Benjamin, Burns, Crane, Kitchener, Pearce, Slater, Tait, Thompstone. (11)

Academy products:
Balmain, Brugnara, Catchpole, Cole, Croft, Harrison, Pasquali, Smith, Thacker, Tuilagi, B.Youngs, T.Youngs (12)

EQP:
Balmain, Barrow, Bateman, Bell, Benjamin, Burns, Catchpole, Cole, Crane, Croft, De Chaves, Harrison, Kitchener, O'Connor, Pearce, Slater, Smith, Tait, Thacker, Thompstone, Tuilagi, M.Williams, B.Youngs, T.Youngs (24) Tiz and Brugnara might be as well which takes it to (26)

TBF that is fairly balanced.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

RagingBull wrote:Lewington is prob the one that I wished we had kept the most TBH. Purdy looks good now but Ctachpole was playing better @ Nottingham and in the LV cup at the time IMO, and to be fair i thought he look sharp against Irish.

Squad is 44 players:

We have Foreign born players not with the academy
Ayerza, Bai, Betham, Camacho, De Chaves, Fitzgerald, Fonua, Ghiraldini, Goneva, Kitto, Loamanu, McCaffrey, Morris, Mulipola, O'Connor, Rizzo, roberts, Sio, williams.M, Williams.O, Veainu. (21)

English born non academy:
Barrow, Bateman, Bell, Benjamin, Burns, Crane, Kitchener, Pearce, Slater, Tait, Thompstone. (11)

Academy products:
Balmain, Brugnara, Catchpole, Cole, Croft, Harrison, Pasquali, Smith, Thacker, Tuilagi, B.Youngs, T.Youngs (12)

EQP:
Balmain, Barrow, Bateman, Bell, Benjamin, Burns, Catchpole, Cole, Crane, Croft, De Chaves, Harrison, Kitchener, O'Connor, Pearce, Slater, Smith, Tait, Thacker, Thompstone, Tuilagi, M.Williams, B.Youngs, T.Youngs (24) Tiz and Brugnara might be as well which takes it to (26)

TBF that is fairly balanced.
RB love how you always do all the figures and information correctly :smt023
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Martin Crowsen has just tweated that the the official confirmation of JDV's signing is imminent... excellent news.
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

JDV Confirmed

Post by Bunchy »

According to the Tigers feed on Twitter
Less is more....
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Officially confirmed on Facebook. Excellent!
Northenlad

Re: Jean De Villiers - UPDATED - threads merged

Post by Northenlad »

:smt041 :smt026 :smt038 :smt023 :smt045
If winning isn't everything, why do they bother keeping score?