Leicester Marathon

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sapajo
Super User
Super User

Leicester Marathon

Post by sapajo »

Just been told by my Daughter that the Leicester Marathon is on this Sunday. Please does anyone know of any planned road closures? Thank you
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: Leicester Marathon

Post by jgriffin »

the map on t'internet suggest it's around Great Glen and the airport. Will check further.

Edit - current route goes north through city from University, stays east of Welford Road.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Tyzot
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tyzot »

Thanks for posting the link.

Be warned - I got caught up in a roadblock last year and the stewarding was terrible - a real accident waiting to happen.
Best to avoid the route completely.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Good heavens I thought this was the latest update on Manu's return to the team !!!Ugh :smt039
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Rats :smt019

I normally Park in the car park next to Vicky Park and the De Mont. Got caught out earlier on this year by the flipping Gay Pride march as they were using it as a Park & Ride. Now, for the Marathon it looks like the park will be the home for all the starters and will take over the car park as well.

Thank you sapajo :smt038 for posting this. At least I will be able to make alternative arrangements this time :smt023
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Any ideas about park and walk off Narborough Rd or Aylestone Rd? We usually park in town, and occasionally by the gym on Upperton Rd.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Cagey Tiger wrote:Rats :smt019

I normally Park in the car park next to Vicky Park and the De Mont. Got caught out earlier on this year by the flipping Gay Pride march as they were using it as a Park & Ride. Now, for the Marathon it looks like the park will be the home for all the starters and will take over the car park as well.

Thank you sapajo :smt038 for posting this. At least I will be able to make alternative arrangements this time :smt023
Vicky park is best avoided entirely. That is the start and finish point of the race and will be rammed.

The road blocks are rolling and the race starts at 9.15 (from memory) so a lot of the early section of course will have reopened well before kick off. Traffic will make it busier than usual but the majority of the runners will have finished and gone by 12 (although it's called the Leicester Marathon far more people do the half marathon course).
billhemsley
Tiger Cub

Post by billhemsley »

If I get up in time after flying back from SA on Saturday my wife and I are intending to visit Kisco in Cobden Street Sunday AM, before parking at High Cross to walk down to WR. Don't know Leicester too well other than my normal route in from Lincoln via A46/A6. Advice from locals always welcome
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

sam16111986 wrote:
Cagey Tiger wrote:Rats :smt019

Vicky park is best avoided entirely. That is the start and finish point of the race and will be rammed.

The road blocks are rolling and the race starts at 9.15 (from memory) so a lot of the early section of course will have reopened well before kick off. Traffic will make it busier than usual but the majority of the runners will have finished and gone by 12 (although it's called the Leicester Marathon far more people do the half marathon course).
Thanks for the info.

If it is running, will probably catch the T2 from Oakham, even though it adds 2 hours to my journey and I have to drive 30 minutes to get to/from Oakham (and find somewhere to park for the duration that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

40 years ago it wouldn't have mattered, but my home then is now part of the Infirmary car park on Aylestone Road.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Will the Narborough Road and near areas from the M69 be affected by this.

Thanks in advance :smt023
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

ellis9 wrote:Will the Narborough Road and near areas from the M69 be affected by this.

Thanks in advance :smt023
Not according to the map on the link

http://www.leicestermarathon.org.uk/the-marathon-route/

That drc_007 posted earlier :smt002 :smt002 :smt003
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Sod's law strikes again. If I catch the T2, I won't be able to watch the ladies game afterwards as there only appears to be the normal departure 30 minutes after the Tigers game ends. Shame.

Also, the bus is now £7 for adults, a rise of 16.666666% (£1). And I thought that we were in a period of very low inflation (or even deflation) caused in part by significantly lower fuel prices. Also low wage inflation. I must be a happy clapper as I obviously live in cloud cuckoo land :smt019 :smt013
DCat
Super User
Super User

Post by DCat »

I believe the stationary road closures are around Abbey Park and the Space Centre, so those coming in from the north side of town, particularly by bus, may be diverted.
AKA Delilah - Founder Member of 'The Mothers'

Sponsored by Kleenex
Cdj20vtt

Post by Cdj20vtt »

Cagey Tiger wrote:Sod's law strikes again. If I catch the T2, I won't be able to watch the ladies game afterwards as there only appears to be the normal departure 30 minutes after the Tigers game ends. Shame.

Also, the bus is now £7 for adults, a rise of 16.666666% (£1). And I thought that we were in a period of very low inflation (or even deflation) caused in part by significantly lower fuel prices. Also low wage inflation. I must be a happy clapper as I obviously live in cloud cuckoo land :smt019 :smt013
How late were the tiger buses after the game, nearly an hour! The guy from Oakham with the oxygen bottle had to get a taxi! Very poorly organised, no information either!!!

Anyway at least we won and it didn't rain!