Ref for Sunday

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Dave J
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Ref for Sunday

Post by Dave J »

Ref for Sundays game is Tom Foley. As I was unfamiliar with the name I did a quick check and found that his 1st premiership game was last seasons Wasps v London Welsh @ Cov.

Does anyone know if he ref'd Tigers last season?
A citizen of hope and glory
Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Ref for Sunday

Post by Doghashadhisday »

I thought you were going to say its Joubert :smt003
Ads677
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ads677 »

It was supposed to be Joubert, but they thought better of it.
Ads677
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ads677 »

To avoid being quite so fatuous I'd never thought about how referees are selected before so I looked on the Premiership website and found this http://www.premiershiprugby.com/premier ... UmLyrTP.97

Tom Foley doesn't appear anywhere here, so am I correct in thinking that the World Cup means a dearth of officialdom for the start of the Premiership.

I can't see why Tom Foley was selected for the game he refereed last year, was there a similar drought of officials at that time?

Interestingly he was referred to as one of the RFUs "rising stars" after he was brought in at short notice to referee the inter-services game between the Army and the RAF at the beginning of last season.

Sounds like a good young'un.
Ads677
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ads677 »

Also just found out that he refereed the Newcastle v Gloucester game last week. Apparently "Dean Richards refused to blame referee Tom Foley for Newcastle Falcons' 39-27 loss to Gloucester, hammering the discipline of his own players", Billy Twelvetrees slotted 9 penalties as a result.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Ads677 wrote:Also just found out that he refereed the Newcastle v Gloucester game last week. Apparently "Dean Richards refused to blame referee Tom Foley for Newcastle Falcons' 39-27 loss to Gloucester, hammering the discipline of his own players", Billy Twelvetrees slotted 9 penalties as a result.
Tigers had better be on their best behaviour then, especially if Nick Evans is playing :smt001
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Cagey Tiger wrote:
Ads677 wrote:Also just found out that he refereed the Newcastle v Gloucester game last week. Apparently "Dean Richards refused to blame referee Tom Foley for Newcastle Falcons' 39-27 loss to Gloucester, hammering the discipline of his own players", Billy Twelvetrees slotted 9 penalties as a result.
Tigers had better be on their best behaviour then, especially if Nick Evans is playing :smt001
As you well know we are never off-side at the breakdown so we have nothing to worry about (the other eye is sure to start working soon) :smt003
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
MJB

Post by MJB »

Dave J wrote:Ref for Sundays game is Tom Foley. As I was unfamiliar with the name I did a quick check and found that his 1st premiership game was last seasons Wasps v London Welsh @ Cov.

Does anyone know if he ref'd Tigers last season?

I can confirm that he didn't. Trust me :smt002
Tyzot
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tyzot »

If memory serves he was mentioned by Wayne Barnes during an interview on BT last season as the best referee he has seen. At the time I thought it strange as he was not well known. Lets hope he deserves the praise.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Tyzot wrote:If memory serves he was mentioned by Wayne Barnes during an interview on BT last season as the best referee he has seen. At the time I thought it strange as he was not well known. Lets hope he deserves the praise.
Let us also hope that he has something more than a passing acquaintance with the Laws of the Game = which is more than can be said for some International Referees.

:smt003
Still keeping the faith!
Tyzot
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tyzot »

....and virtually all TV pundits, former players and from what I have witnessed many coaches of local club sides.

As to this last point it never fails to amaze me how many coaches coach their teams contrary to the laws and then complain when they get pinged!
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Tyzot wrote:....and virtually all TV pundits, former players and from what I have witnessed many coaches of local club sides.

As to this last point it never fails to amaze me how many coaches coach their teams contrary to the laws and then complain when they get pinged!
Sacre Bleu! English coaches coach their players to infringe the laws of the game? Surely only the devillish French and All Blacks do that?

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003
Still keeping the faith!
FredKite

Post by FredKite »

I am sure Master Foley will be given a warm welcome by the Welford Road Faithful and should he struggle with any of the laws of the game or indeed missinterpret them in favour of the Hairy Queens he will not go short of sound well intentioned, unbiased and unsolicited advice............hope he's got a strong constitution.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

FredKite wrote:I am sure Master Foley will be given a warm welcome by the Welford Road Faithful and should he struggle with any of the laws of the game or indeed missinterpret them in favour of the Hairy Queens he will not go short of sound well intentioned, unbiased and unsolicited advice............hope he's got a strong constitution.
T, Foley Esq can count on receiving execellent advice from his assistants and the TMO. But above all from the Leicester Faithfull!!

:smt026 :smt026 :smt026
Still keeping the faith!
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Bill W (2) wrote:
FredKite wrote:I am sure Master Foley will be given a warm welcome by the Welford Road Faithful and should he struggle with any of the laws of the game or indeed missinterpret them in favour of the Hairy Queens he will not go short of sound well intentioned, unbiased and unsolicited advice............hope he's got a strong constitution.
T, Foley Esq can count on receiving execellent advice from his assistants and the TMO. But above all from the Leicester Faithfull!!

:smt026 :smt026 :smt026
As an aside, this really is annoying. Watched Wigglesworth practically owned by the Bath players last week. To the point where he didn't take any action at a breakdown, was harangued by a Bath player and then blew up for a Bath penalty. Throughout the match he appeared to be overly influenced by the Bath players, while Exeter just got on with it.

Bath are cheats, on and off the pitch.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.