Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Joubert and that penalty

Post by biffer »

Norfolk & Goode wrote:Lewis Moody's view:

"I am very surprised how the rugby world has reacted to craig Joubert. Some of the criticism is crazy. Yes the decision to run of field was a strange one but until we know why let's not jump to conclusions.
Ultimately he Is not allowed to consult the TMO on these matters the rules prevent it. The reality is a Scottish player knocked it on and a Scottish player in front played it. Penalty!
In my opinion Phipps didn't play the ball it mearly bounced of him.
The best case for Scotland could have been a scrum to Australia that is if Joubert had in deed been allowed by the rules to consult the TMO. However I feel the TMO still would have awarded the penalty.
The sad reality is in knock out rugby you have to nail your basics had Scotland who had been outstanding for 78 mins hit the easy throw In the rain and not stretched the jumper on a long throw the game probably would have been there's.
By missing the jumper they put the decision out of there hands".
Let's hold our selves to higher standards in rugby and not jump on the easy band wagon of criticising the ref who like all of us is only human and trying to officiate what was an incredible game of rugby.
Phipps has said he played the ball. Good that young Lewis is paying attention.
Tyzot
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tyzot »

Not the first and not the last decision we will argue about but I think Lewis's last Line sums it up:

Let's hold our selves to higher standards in rugby and not jump on the easy band wagon of criticising the ref who like all of us is only human and trying to officiate what was an incredible game of rugby.

Personally I think that some of the reactions were an affront to the core values of the game we all love.

What to me sums it up was that no one complains about the dubious penalty and hence 3 points that Scotland gained from a scrum that also looked wrong on replay, but massive over reaction and outrage over this one decision. Lets hope that those pundits and players have time to reflect and feel embarassed by their behaviour.
rocktop51
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rocktop51 »

Had the penalty been earlier in the match its significance may well have been missed - its the fact that it was 79 minutes and hence the robbery outcry.
Hambo :- He was with England when he was injured, but he was a Tigers player, our player. He is still our player.”
Tyzot
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tyzot »

If the game had ended on 79 minutes and Scotland had won - Australia would have had just as much right to feel aggrieved. Points count the same whenever scored.