So was WC semis predicted by date more than anything?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

So was WC semis predicted by date more than anything?

Post by jgriffin »

Probably a year ago I read one or two predictions in the media that the timing of this WC played into the hands of the SH teams who would be coming full tilt off their SH competition, while NH teams would be competitively colder......seems to be coming true. Do you think these predictions holds water?
(PS apologies to the 'provide me with URL/Harvard reference' brigade but this came from a conversation with my Stains-in-laws where we recalled such a discussion over a pint long before the WC).
(PPS this means we discussed it as a topic over a year ago, and recalled said discussion last night)
(PPPS this is, of course, anecdotal)
:smt004
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Re: So was WC semis predicted by date more than anything?

Post by mol2 »

Not convinced although I would like to see the tournament played later in the year rather than late summer.

The reality is that Northern hemisphere rugby has fallen behind the Southern hemisphere. Not particularly because SH rugby has improved greatly - with the exception of Argentina who are showing the benefit of being part of a competitive tournament and having a team of professional players plying their trade at the top level.

The Northern hemisphere has gone backwards largely because the two big beasts - England and France have lost the plot. The players are there but the coaching and tactics have been woeful.
Ireland are probably the best marker of where sides are as 6N champs they were well behind Argentina. Wales did well to take the fight to a South African side that I doubt will have the other SH teams concerned. France were a country mile behind New Zealand and England were worth their 3rd place in the group (anything higher would have been an undeserved fluke)
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Would agree with that, the SH not improved but NH fallen off. Wales were devastated by injury and IMO Wales 1sts would've won through. England has been a slow train wreck and may well continue to be so with a palace revolution, France has been another and Guy Noves is NOT the answer.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
ElvastonTiger
Tiger Cub

Post by ElvastonTiger »

Does anyone know if the RWC s/f is being shown at Welford Rd after Sunday's game v
Hope so.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

ElvastonTiger wrote:Does anyone know if the RWC s/f is being shown at Welford Rd after Sunday's game v
Hope so.
I'd be stunned if it wasn't.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Iain wrote:
ElvastonTiger wrote:Does anyone know if the RWC s/f is being shown at Welford Rd after Sunday's game v
Hope so.
I'd be stunned if it wasn't.
My understanding is that it is beig shown for free in te hospitality suites but in the Final Whistle and other bars it costs £5.

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003

(only joking!)
Still keeping the faith!