6 Nations Squad

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Buxrugby

Re: 6 Nations Squad

Post by Buxrugby »

If we are looking for some sort of out n out open side to provide an alternative or replace CR, I think I'm right in saying that Brenden O'Conner is England Qualified. A few good performances from him and he could sneak in there ahead of the penalty machine that is Kvesic.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Buxrugby wrote:If we are looking for some sort of out n out open side to provide an alternative or replace CR, I think I'm right in saying that Brenden O'Conner is England Qualified. A few good performances from him and he could sneak in there ahead of the penalty machine that is Kvesic.
can we let him nail down a place at club level first please
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Jimmy Skitz wrote:
Buxrugby wrote:If we are looking for some sort of out n out open side to provide an alternative or replace CR, I think I'm right in saying that Brenden O'Conner is England Qualified. A few good performances from him and he could sneak in there ahead of the penalty machine that is Kvesic.
+1

Read in the paper today that he has a UK passport.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

LE18 wrote:I cannot see how they can possibly drop Fazlett, he is a world class kicker, much more reliable and longer than George.

However he is a poor attacking fly half, why has no one considered him as a full back, he could develop into that position and continue to slot the penalties but not from fly half, if we must pick him then not at fly half or centre.

It will be interesting to see who has the kicking duties against Uraguay?
Sarries have already shunted Goode to FB to accommodate Charlie Hodgson & Farrell. Can't see them changing anything.
Buxrugby

Post by Buxrugby »

Jimmy Skitz wrote:
Fair enough, I am an optimist :smt023
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

would anyone else quite like to see Georgia and Romania added to the 6 nations?
+1, will never happen though
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

Let's try and win the 6 Nations in 2016. The captain to be appointed once the squad is picked and training under way. I would choose Brown who has a winning mentality. Captain only for the 6 nations. England need a group of leaders who can make decisions on the hoof.
Nailsworthstiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nailsworthstiger »

ellis9 wrote:Well Abendanon rightly isn't going to be picked whilst playing in France is he?! If he wants to play for England as much as you want him playing for England, he needs to get back to an English club.
Why should he? Australia have reversed their deciion to include foreign based players, Wales have included foreign based players and look where they both are now... in the quarter finals. They have concluded that to win the WC you need to have your best players in your side and if they play in another country...so be it.

It is time to rethink this policy in my book and bring in our best players. Just think where we could of gone if we had Stefan Armitage and even TB and even Nick Abendanon et al at our disposal.

As for the 6N squad... say thanks to all the players who will not be considered for 2019 due to age and start again and build with a new set of players. But to do that you need a new management in place... who don't go in for nepotism.

Actually it's not just the older players, we need a rethink because the players we do have are simply not good enough with just a few exceptions. My only cast iron certainty is George Ford.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Brown is not a general, he is a beserker! And definitely not captain material!

Back row, 9 10 or 12 best positions from wich to lead, but none are tied down. I might even try CIps, if the regime changes.
Valhalla I am coming!
Sajerj
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Sajerj »

Nailsworthstiger wrote:
ellis9 wrote:Well Abendanon rightly isn't going to be picked whilst playing in France is he?! If he wants to play for England as much as you want him playing for England, he needs to get back to an English club.
As for the 6N squad... say thanks to all the players who will not be considered for 2019 due to age and start again and build with a new set of players. But to do that you need a new management in place... who don't go in for nepotism.
If you think Owen Farell is not going to be playing for England under a new coaching team, one that excludes his father, i think you will be in for a dissapointment.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

9 Youngs
10 Ford
12 Joseph
13 Slade

Manu coming in if he can prove his fitness and regain his form
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

O'Connor was mentioned in The Times earlier this week as being a suitable Robshaw replacement. Reasonably perceptive journalism for a paper.

Steve James has picked his 6N starting XV in the Telegraph today. Hartley back, but YBY tipped as Captain.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

YBY proposed for captain in the Telegraph.
Valhalla I am coming!
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Nailsworthstiger wrote:
Why should he? Australia have reversed their deciion to include foreign based players, Wales have included foreign based players and look where they both are now... in the quarter finals. They have concluded that to win the WC you need to have your best players in your side and if they play in another country...so be it.

It is time to rethink this policy in my book and bring in our best players. Just think where we could of gone if we had Stefan Armitage and even TB and even Nick Abendanon et al at our disposal.

As for the 6N squad... say thanks to all the players who will not be considered for 2019 due to age and start again and build with a new set of players.
1. Australia have not totally reversed their selection policy. What they are in effect saying is if you've been good enough to get 50 caps, we don't mind you topping up your pension abroad. BUT to get those first 50 caps you have to play in Oz. A reasonable approach IMHO. If, like Abendanon and Armitage, a player has not been good enough to get 50 caps by their age (a subjective judgement I know) are you really worried that they go abroad and are not likely to be selected? For these two players, I'm not.

2. With the introduction of joint contracts, the WRU have taken steps that they hope will significantly reduce the moves away from Wales. So they are not happy with it either

3. To get rid of all the players who would be too old for 2019 would be very close to what happened after 2011. Yes, we now have younger players with more experience than then but they are not that experienced. Where there is a reasonably straight choice between an older or younger player, pick the younger one, but you need some experience in the team. Our one WC winning team wasn't call Dad's Army for nothing. Getting a team that wins the tight games and titles should be the priority at this point in time. Get the confidence and mentality that goes with winning in place with whoever is best now, then start blooding in younger players over the next couple of seasons so that they are ready for the next WC. With your approach, the words (old) "baby" and "bathwater" spring to mind.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Cagey Tiger wrote:
Nailsworthstiger wrote:

As for the 6N squad... say thanks to all the players who will not be considered for 2019 due to age and start again and build with a new set of players.
1. Australia have not totally reversed their selection policy. What they are in effect saying is if you've been good enough to get 50 caps, we don't mind you topping up your pension abroad. BUT to get those first 50 caps you have to play in Oz. A reasonable approach IMHO. If, like Abendanon and Armitage, a player has not been good enough to get 50 caps by their age (a subjective judgement I know) are you really worried that they go abroad and are not likely to be selected? For these two players, I'm not.

2. With the introduction of joint contracts, the WRU have taken steps that they hope will significantly reduce the moves away from Wales. So they are not happy with it either

3. To get rid of all the players who would be too old for 2019 would be very close to what happened after 2011. Yes, we now have younger players with more experience than then but they are not that experienced. Where there is a reasonably straight choice between an older or younger player, pick the younger one, but you need some experience in the team. Our one WC winning team wasn't call Dad's Army for nothing. Getting a team that wins the tight games and titles should be the priority at this point in time. Get the confidence and mentality that goes with winning in place with whoever is best now, then start blooding in younger players over the next couple of seasons so that they are ready for the next WC. With your approach, the words (old) "baby" and "bathwater" spring to mind.
so you don't think players that regularly go deep in Europe's premier rugby competition, even being named player of the year, would strengthen the England team, players who will be early 30s in 4 years time so far from being too old