Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Iain
Super User
Super User

Wood avoids citing

Post by Iain »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/34381061
England flanker Tom Wood is free to play against Australia after he was not cited for the incident which saw Wales full-back Liam Williams knocked unconscious on Saturday.

However, Wood has been given a warning after his shin made contact with Williams' head as he tried to secure possession for Wales on the ground in the 28-25 win over the hosts at Twickenham.

More to follow.
I've seen a replay of the incident. It didn't look good, but I'm not sure it was deliberate.

But this is a bit weird. If you decide he has done something wrong and requires a warning then why isn't he cited...?
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Re: Wood avoids citing

Post by drc_007 »

I think he has been given the equivalent of a yellow card,
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

He's a very lucky boy in my opinion. It was definitely not deliberate, but it was reckless and dangerous, and was very close to being a red card worthy offence in my mind.
seaweed
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by seaweed »

Also read equivalent of yellow card. Someone kindly explain this further ?
To quote Ray Gravell - You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if it's late.

Owain Glyndŵr now he was a man of vision.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

seaweed wrote:Also read equivalent of yellow card. Someone kindly explain this further ?
Yeah, either Wood bears some responsibility for kicking a player in the head - in which case a ban is the only appropriate sanction - or it was a complete accident for which he bears no responsibility in which case he shouldn't be punished.

To give him a punishment which "equates to a yellow card" is weird to say the least.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Different protocols perhaps, but I seem to remember Geordan getting a level one citing for his part in the fracas against Saints when Tuilagi and (co-incidentally) Wood were sent off, which was deemed the equivalent of a yellow card. Ergo that would have been a citing to decide it would have been a yellow card...?

For me either it was accidental and you dismiss the whole thing, or it was deliberate and it should have been a red card and a ban. I can't see where a yellow card comes into it.

Happy to be told I'm wrong of course.
seaweed
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by seaweed »

Appears in non RFU language to be not worthy of a red but worthy of a yellow.
It should appear on his record for up to 5 years to be used as part of a totting up procedure and record of discipline. Then as a caveat says it 'may' be considered in the future.
Interesting. Can't say I have seen that before.
To quote Ray Gravell - You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if it's late.

Owain Glyndŵr now he was a man of vision.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

http://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/ne ... s-of-wales

A statement released by the organisers read: "Under the Rugby World Cup 2015 disciplinary programme, a citing commissioner warning equates to a yellow card in sanction.

"A combination of three yellow cards or citing commissioner warnings accumulated during the tournament will result in a hearing."

If he gets more he'll be a very naughty boy.....

A meeting to prepare for a future meeting....it's the PFJ! :smt002
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

WhitecapTiger wrote:
A meeting to prepare for a future meeting....it's the PFJ! :smt002
Splitters...
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man