England vs Wales - Ford dropped

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Sajerj
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: England vs Wales - Ford dropped

Post by Sajerj »

I am not sure why it needs to be described as an excuse, 46. Its just a matter of fact that OF comfortably outplayed Ford on that day. They rightly stuck by Ford based on the six nations, but it was evident against Fiji that OF is currently the player in better form.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote="JackFlashJonny"]Looks like its Bludgeon, kicking and smash Wales or bust....interesting that Morgan has been dropped and Haskell is on the bench..[/quote]

It was 'trailed' to the media that Morgan was going to drop to the bench for this match, with Vunipola starting. After it was known that Morgan failed his fitness test on Tuesday, Haskell was promoted to the bench spot.
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

This may come down to converting some long range penalties in which case Owen is your man. Playing the Welsh is a very different proposition to most countries - it will be beyond physical. This may well be the team that is best placed to do the job. Having Owen and with Halfpenny out this might give us the advantage.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

I'd still pick a slightly off form Ford over an in form Farrell any day of the week. Farrell, even in top form is not good enough. Neither is Burgess. I have been looking forward to the England v Wales game for months, but in just moments, my excitement has turned to fear and worry.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

ellis9 wrote:I'd still pick a slightly off form Ford over an in form Farrell any day of the week. Farrell, even in top form is not good enough. Neither is Burgess. I have been looking forward to the England v Wales game for months, but in just moments, my excitement has turned to fear and worry.
Same Ellis however this game is going to be monumental..The collisions on display will be phenomenal and Burgess v Roberts is literally worth the watch alone..

I wouldn't have picked this team but I can understand why they have and it is going to be an epic heavyweight duel..hopefully it will launch Burgess into union folklore and propel England onto smash the Aussies..Burgess is either going to be herculean or yellow/red carded imo it is a defining game and as a man I back him 100%..As a union player the jury is out till 9:35ish Saturday night..You couldn't write this script for Slammin' Sam
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Wales: L Williams; G North, S Williams, J Roberts, H Amos; D Biggar, G Davies; G Jenkins, S Baldwin, T Francis, B Davies, AW Jones; D Lydiate, S Warburton, T Faletau.
Replacements: K Owens, A Jarvis, S Lee, L Charteris, J Tipuric, L Williams, R Priestland, A Cuthbert.

If England can't beat that Wales side then we don't deserve to reach the quarters...Very inexperienced in parts and that front row needs to be taken apart Jenkins is not a big scrummager and Cole can really get into him..Francis whilst very talented is untested on the biggest of stages..
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

And meanwhile the best flyhalf, especially for this encounter IMHO, was dropped - having never been played there, no doubt for fear of showing up the incumbents. I mean, of course, Cipriani: great tackle stats, excellent kicking range, elusive runner, vision, etc. Anyone who thinks Fazlet is better needs a head transplant, he is never going to unlock the Welsh defence with a moment of inspiration.
However this will turn on the forwards and the breakdown IMO. Too close to call personally and England's bench may be the X-factor.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Sajerj
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Sajerj »

JackFlashJonny wrote:Wales: L Williams; G North, S Williams, J Roberts, H Amos; D Biggar, G Davies; G Jenkins, S Baldwin, T Francis, B Davies, AW Jones; D Lydiate, S Warburton, T Faletau.
Replacements: K Owens, A Jarvis, S Lee, L Charteris, J Tipuric, L Williams, R Priestland, A Cuthbert.

If England can't beat that Wales side then we don't deserve to reach the quarters...Very inexperienced in parts and that front row needs to be taken apart Jenkins is not a big scrummager and Cole can really get into him..Francis whilst very talented is untested on the biggest of stages..
JFJ, you are correct. There are no excuses for the England front row on Saturday. It is really time for Dan to step up here and dominate.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

I couldn't care less about seeing "slamming Sam" vs Jamie Roberts. I want to see England v Wales and an England win. I believe Burgess won't come out of this with anything apart from the realisation that he still isn't good enough!
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

ellis9 wrote:I couldn't care less about seeing "slamming Sam" vs Jamie Roberts. I want to see England v Wales and an England win. I believe Burgess won't come out of this with anything apart from the realisation that he still isn't good enough!
Well I am glad I don't have to watch this game with you :smt019

Hopefully he will prove you wrong and if not it is all about the forward battle anyway..
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Why? Just because I'll be cheering for England to win you wouldn't want to watch the game with me. :smt017

All games are about the forward battle. If they don't win the ball, the backs can't do anything with it.

Burgess won't prove me wrong, I am confident on that. Neither will Farrell.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

ellis9 wrote:I'd still pick a slightly off form Ford over an in form Farrell any day of the week. Farrell, even in top form is not good enough. Neither is Burgess. I have been looking forward to the England v Wales game for months, but in just moments, my excitement has turned to fear and worry.
I couldn't agree more.
JackFlashJonny wrote: If England can't beat that Wales side then we don't deserve to reach the quarters...
And with the England players picked and England management, IMHO, that sounds likely.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

What kind of Rugby fan doesn't want to see Roberts running down Burgess's channel and vice versa that is fireworks..:smt017

Why do you feel the need to state the obvious..
ellis9 wrote: All games are about the forward battle. If they don't win the ball, the backs can't do anything with it.
Farrell will never be good enough but he is a world class kicker that we cannot dispute..and Wales world class kicker is injured so that could be the difference..I would much rather have Ford out there but I can see with no Joseph why they have done this..I think you and Pellsey will hopefully be surprised
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

JackFlashJonny wrote:I think you and Pellsey will hopefully be surprised
It would be nice! Just as an ex-fly half, I also do like watching a fly-half who makes the right decisions and can also distribute. Fazlet has, in these areas, lots to learn.
jonlin
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by jonlin »

George's father will be England coach one day,then we will be stuck with George. Nepotism rules