England vs Wales - Ford dropped

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Wes

Re: England vs Wales - Ford dropped

Post by Wes »

I realise I don't post here often, so credentials are poor. This is also a bit of a 'bloke in a pub said' type story, and unfortunately I can't give names or companies. Do I trust the guy? Yes, completely, even with my children. However.....

My understanding is that part of the new England clothing deal was that Sam Burgess would be brought across from League, in the Word cup squad if fit, and played in at least some of the games. Which means, if true, Mr Lancaster was unable to do anything other than play Sam, and he's effectively picked a team around a player who he's not allowed to drop.
That fits the ludicrousness of the situation. I honestly believe he will be an absolute star in 3 years time, and maybe with a few years experiance there might be the possibility of getting him into the centres. However, don't expect him to go anywhere soon.
I do wonder, based on what I've learnt what other backroom deals are done and if any other players are effectively on central contract.
I only live there to wind up the population!
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

He may even end up following his illustrious predecessor and end up coaching the England team.

Has he got any children?
Valhalla I am coming!
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

If I were you Wes I'd be more careful with my children in future....
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

Wes wrote:I realise I don't post here often, so credentials are poor. This is also a bit of a 'bloke in a pub said' type story, and unfortunately I can't give names or companies. Do I trust the guy? Yes, completely, even with my children. However.....

My understanding is that part of the new England clothing deal was that Sam Burgess would be brought across from League, in the Word cup squad if fit, and played in at least some of the games. Which means, if true, Mr Lancaster was unable to do anything other than play Sam, and he's effectively picked a team around a player who he's not allowed to drop.
That fits the ludicrousness of the situation. I honestly believe he will be an absolute star in 3 years time, and maybe with a few years experiance there might be the possibility of getting him into the centres. However, don't expect him to go anywhere soon.
I do wonder, based on what I've learnt what other backroom deals are done and if any other players are effectively on central contract.
Even if that were true - and I strongly believe it is not, for many reasons - then it's still no reason to pick Burgess to start one of the two key matches against Wales/Aus.

Even if Lancaster was under pressure from upstairs to pick Burgess (he's not), then the Fiji and Uruguay games are both much likelier picks.

What's FAR more likely is that Lancaster wanted Burgess in order to replicate the impact of Tuilagi in the centres. It's why he has previously picked the likes of Burrell and Turner-Hall. Burgess is just the next in a line of poor-man's Tuilagi's.

That's also why he's looking at him as a centre when his club is playing him at flanker, and his best performances have come at flanker.
Wes

Post by Wes »

Fair enough, as I said, I can't give any more specifics. However, trialling people, in a World cup game, hoping they'll have an impact?

Surely no coach is actually that bad that they'd need to gamble like that at a time like that? Summer games, autumn internationals yes, even the 6 nations. In a world cup?
I only live there to wind up the population!
Sajerj
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Sajerj »

It is far from unusual for players to make their international debuts at the RWC, or to have little more than one or two caps. Manu of course is but one obvious of many examples. In 2011, the French scrum half made his international debut in the final.
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

Wes wrote:Fair enough, as I said, I can't give any more specifics. However, trialling people, in a World cup game, hoping they'll have an impact?

Surely no coach is actually that bad that they'd need to gamble like that at a time like that?
It would appear this one is
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

It is far from unusual for players to make their international debuts at the RWC, or to have little more than one or two caps. Manu of course is but one obvious of many examples. In 2011, the French scrum half made his international debut in the final.
Yes but in most cases if not very nearly all injuries must've played a part, and matches against tier two opponents.
England's situation has actually been planned to be just so.
Cheery chappy
Sajerj
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Sajerj »

Dave, New Zealand picked a winger with a total 50 minutes test playing time, who had a broken leg and wouldnt be fit until the third game of the RWC.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Dave I've told you you can't win with some posters.......it's fortunately not as bad as it was a few years ago.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

drc_007 wrote:A thoughtful analysis from Gordon Darcy

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/i ... -1.2371821
Having read that, definitely not looking forward to the recording on my humax box when I get home? But as expected given the selection it panned out just as I feared it might? Coaching disaster or the RFU dictating the 'play-policy' if the coaches are stuck between a rock and a hard place they do have my sympathy to a degree but they should be 'man-enough' to sort it out - R Andrew and co need sorting IMO?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat