England vs Wales - Ford dropped

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: England vs Wales - Ford dropped

Post by Will S »

This game is going to start at a frantic pace and be very physical. Maybe best to start with Farrell who can cope with this better and also knock over the longer penalties which will hopefully come early in the match with the Welsh being a bit over enthusiastic. With a more crash ball midfield Ford probably wouldn't have the chance to play to his strengths.

Later in the game, against tired legs, bring Ford on and then bring the wingers into the game cutting lines off him whilst Burgess runs decoys.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Either is easy to say - so many fence-sitters! Personally always thought this would occur - against a full-strength Welsh side it would be suicide. This is far more of a 50/50 game and I expect a close result either way but I also expect significant injuries.

Edit: just read the Telegraph article and one of the people on the thread blames it all on the hooker! :smt009
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Doghashadhisday »

jgriffin wrote:
Edit: just read the Telegraph article and one of the people on the thread blames it all on the hooker! :smt009
Interesting as the French had a certain England Hooker in their best 15 from the opening games. Of course skysports got on the bandwagon and had mostly Japan players in their best 15 with both Youngs and Brown missing out.
Duncan B
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Duncan B »

Don't feel Ben plays his best rugby alongside Farrell either which is a shame.

I don't have a problem with picking any of those players in midfield-just not altogether!
Sajerj
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Sajerj »

Ben's performances are random. Look simply at the last three games, he was poor in Paris, exceptional against Ireland, and average at best against Fiji. His inconsistency is frustrating for such a talented player.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

Just a point of order.The official team announcements are due later this morning. How is it that these changes to the England team are 'known' so far in advance of this?
Does it not give the opposition an opportunity to review their line-up, or reflect on tactics before their team is announced?
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Players talk to friends / family / journalists, training line-ups are seen by journalists, Chinese whispers happen, people jump to conclusions... can be any number of reasons really. It's been happening since the beginning of time.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

Really? I agree that there has always been press talk and conjecture - sometimes right, sometimes not - but known line-ups?
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

England XV v Wales

Post by JackFlashJonny »

15.Brown
14.Watson
13.Barritt
12.Burgess
11.May
10.Farrell
9.BYoungs
1.Marler
2.TYoungs
3.Cole
4.Parling
5.Lawes
6.Wood
7.Robshaw*
8.BVunipola
Subs: Webber, M Vunipola, Brookes, Launchbury, Haskell, Wigglesworth, Ford, Goode.
Last edited by JackFlashJonny on Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: England XV v Wales

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Looks like its Bludgeon, kicking and smash Wales or bust....interesting that Morgan has been dropped and Haskell is on the bench..
Sajerj
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Sajerj »

JackFlashJonny wrote:Looks like its Bludgeon, kicking and smash Wales or bust....interesting that Morgan has been dropped and Haskell is on the bench..
Morgan is injured.

I hope your are correct. These are England's strengths and we should stick to them. I hope our set piece and breakdown work improves massively from recent matches. If it does, the backs we pick are pretty irrelevant.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Sajerj wrote:
JackFlashJonny wrote:Looks like its Bludgeon, kicking and smash Wales or bust....interesting that Morgan has been dropped and Haskell is on the bench..
Morgan is injured.

I hope your are correct. These are England's strengths and we should stick to them. I hope our set piece and breakdown work improves massively from recent matches. If it does, the backs we pick are pretty irrelevant.
Ah ok thanks doesn't state he is injured just that he drops out for Billy V..

Must be Englands slowest midfield partnership for sometime :smt003 but is definitely all about the forwards..I hope that we finally see Slammin' Sam in all his league glory that would be quite some story for us dreamers.. :smt023
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

It's brave, I'll give it that. Farrell for Ford; I don't completely get why that needs to happen. Strange one.

Burgess - with Joseph out it makes sense. Though I very much preferred Burgess as an impact against tired legs. I'd worry about his positional discipline. Clearly we've decided a more physical approach is best against Wales. In many ways it's refreshing to see a considered horses for courses approach to team selection.
Sajerj
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Sajerj »

Iain, i think OF selection is straightforward as he has been the best English fly half since his return from injury at the end of the season.

It was Fords position to lose, but he didnt do enough against France, Ireland and Fiji, to keep an in form Farrell out of the team.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

What actually semi finished Ford, was his non performance in the Final v Sarries.
Ever since Stan/ Fazlet snr have had an excuse, because neither of them trust him under pressure...