It's here!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Brutus
Top Cat
Top Cat

It's here!

Post by Brutus »

The big event is finally here! :smt041 I know a lot of people take issue with the squad selection :smt019 :smt024 and there are those who are a little underwhelmed by this world cup but now that it is here, it is time to put those issues to bed and get behind our team as we welcome the world to the home of rugby. I for one am like a little child at Christmas in anticipation of watching our boys compete in the pinnacle event of the greatest sport in the world. :smt043 I hope that you all have a great world cup whether you are watching the games at HQ, at home, on a screen at Welford Road, in front of the box or in your underpants riding a gazelle.

Come on England!!!

P.s. to Tigers fans of other nations, good luck to your team :smt023
Iain
Super User
Super User

Re: It's here!

Post by Iain »

I take the opinion that if you're not excited by a World Cup in your homeland then you're probably not that keen on rugby.

I have been looking forward to this day since it was announced England were to be the hosts.

Happy World Cup Day everyone :smt041
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Bit torn tbh. I think the game is tainted at the moment with the various issues there is no need to go into here. But I am definitely looking forward to watching some great rugby on the telly. And of course being my home nation I really hope England do well.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

I completely agree, it's all very exciting, but I can't wait for the rugby to start and the hype to end...I'm out this evening (it's a long story!) but am not too bothered to be missing the opening ceremony, I always find these events a little cringeworthy, whether it's the football world cup, Olympics or whatever.

I'm sure most people enjoy them and it's probably just a character defect that I don't, but there we are!
Soggypitch
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

Soggypitch wrote:I completely agree, it's all very exciting, but I can't wait for the rugby to start and the hype to end...I'm out this evening (it's a long story!) but am not too bothered to be missing the opening ceremony, I always find these events a little cringeworthy, whether it's the football world cup, Olympics or whatever.

I'm sure most people enjoy them and it's probably just a character defect that I don't, but there we are!

There is the small matter of a match just after the opening ceremony!

The car is packed, shirts out ready, leaving just after lunch and heading to HQ.

Really really can't wait, am so excited.

:smt041
divingrob

Post by divingrob »

Thought the Kings of the North was tomorrow or I'm I missing something?
Cassandra
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Cassandra »

divingrob wrote:Thought the Kings of the North was tomorrow or I'm I missing something?
It is. What do you think you're missing?
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

This is Tigers forum, not England's!

We are not all England supporters, and as for the suggestion by Iain that if this WC doesn't excite you, you cannot be that keen on rugby, that's frankly daft! I have attended matches at WR as a season ticket holder, both on the Terrace and in the Crumbie for some time, and object to being told that because I do not hold the same views as someone else, I am not a fan.

I do not follow England, I do follow Tigers. I am not overly impressed by all of England's squad selections, just as I could take issue with other squads too. I sometimes take issue with Tigers team and coaches just because I AM KEEN ON RUGBY! Just not on England, and the jingoism major sporting events thrive on.
Valhalla I am coming!
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

I like rugby. Over the next few weeks there will be a lot of rugby to watch. International rugby. Loads of it. In our country and even in our home city. I am excited.

I simply cannot comprehend the mindset of a rugby fan who isn't excited by this!
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

I can. :smt001

I will watch some matches, but not as an England supporter. I enjoy watching rugby, and look forward to some teams being turned over! :smt002
Valhalla I am coming!
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Fleabane, I presume that due to your lack of :smt017 support of England, you are not English? Otherwise I am unsure as to why you would not support England.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

ellis9 wrote:Fleabane, I presume that due to your lack of :smt017 support of England, you are not English? Otherwise I am unsure as to why you would not support England.
If England do well (by getting out of the group), we all have to suffer another 4 years of mediocrity under Lancaster (England still have not won a single competition under Lancaster). If England go out sooner, then there is still a chance that Lancaster can get fired and a better coach could give England a better chance at the next world cup with what should be a fine group of players. I wrote off this world cup a year or so ago. I do support England, but not under Lancaster. That is my take on it anyway. If England win, great. I will eat my hat. I just can't see it happening.

I am very much looking forward to lots of great rugby over the next few weeks. Seriously looking forward to watching Nadalo etc.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

I'm not a fan of Lancaster but to want us to get knocked out in the groups so he might get sacked is ridiculous. I actually believe that if we do get knocked out in the groups, he won't get sacked anyway due to us being in a tough group. England, Wales and Australia are all good enough to get to the semi final as a minimum but 1 is not going to make it out of the group.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

I do not want England to go out in the groups, but I cannot stand another 4 years of this rubbish (both on the field and off). I fear that is the only possible way of him being ousted.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

If England won the world cup and then Lancaster got fired, then it would be the best of both worlds. The last time England won a competition the coach lost his job, so that is a possibility. Haha.