Manu in the Guardian on injury and arrest

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tigris
Silver Member
Silver Member

Manu in the Guardian on injury and arrest

Post by Tigris »

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/s ... ly-treated?
The headline is (unsurprisingly) not particularly reflective of the interview.
Interesting to hear his view. Must admit, I wondered when the point would come that he wanted to put his version of events forward.
Sounds like his injury recovery has very much been one step forward, two steps back.
Last edited by Tigris on Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Re: Manu in the Telegraph on injury and arrest

Post by ellis9 »

You beat me by seconds in putting this on. This is the link I was going to post

http://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/ne ... conviction
Tigris
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tigris »

ellis9 wrote:You beat me by seconds in putting this on. This is the link I was going to post

http://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/ne ... conviction
Unusual for me! :smt001

Both articles includes some different comments - nice to hear he is focussing on getting back in Tigers colours.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

He is sounding more and more like a Sarries player and less like a Tiger!

:smt003
Still keeping the faith!
Tigris
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tigris »

Leicester mute mode is fine and good and has its place, but quite simply sounds to me like someone who feels like a guilty plea in regard to an accusation of assaulting female police officers somewhat backfired on him. In retrospect, a pretty odd call for someone in the public eye, particularly if the view was he wouldn't have been fit enough to have made the squad anyway. Then again, last time I checked I wasn't a lawyer so I have no clue. Would have been nice if the club had made the point for him, but there you go.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Tigris wrote:Leicester mute mode is fine and good and has its place, but quite simply sounds to me like someone who feels like a guilty plea in regard to an accusation of assaulting female police officers somewhat backfired on him. In retrospect, a pretty odd call for someone in the public eye, particularly if the view was he wouldn't have been fit enough to have made the squad anyway. Then again, last time I checked I wasn't a lawyer so I have no clue. Would have been nice if the club had made the point for him, but there you go.
He would not have made the WC squad anyway (he admits)

A guilty plea likely avoided a custodial sentence.

Likely the Club advised him to keep his mouth shut. A pity he openned it IMHO.
Still keeping the faith!
Tigris
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tigris »

Bill W (2) wrote:
Tigris wrote:Leicester mute mode is fine and good and has its place, but quite simply sounds to me like someone who feels like a guilty plea in regard to an accusation of assaulting female police officers somewhat backfired on him. In retrospect, a pretty odd call for someone in the public eye, particularly if the view was he wouldn't have been fit enough to have made the squad anyway. Then again, last time I checked I wasn't a lawyer so I have no clue. Would have been nice if the club had made the point for him, but there you go.
He would not have made the WC squad anyway (he admits)

A guilty plea likely avoided a custodial sentence.

Likely the Club advised him to keep his mouth shut. A pity he openned it IMHO.
Fair point regards potential outcome
Can completely understand him wanting to shed some light on the detail of what is still very much an own goal of an evening.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Tigris wrote: Can completely understand him wanting to shed some light on the detail of what is still very much an own goal of an evening.
I too understand. But he has been badly advised. Best to say nothing!

:smt023
Still keeping the faith!
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

I say fair play to him for telling us what happened, as long as it is the truth, which I believe it is. Why would you want your name dragged through the mud and people saying you assaulted female police officers when you really didn't? I know I'd be wanting to tell the whole world the truth!
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

ellis9 wrote:I say fair play to him for telling us what happened, as long as it is the truth, which I believe it is. Why would you want your name dragged through the mud and people saying you assaulted female police officers when you really didn't? I know I'd be wanting to tell the whole world the truth!
He had every opportunity to tell his side of the story in court. Why wait until now to involve the media?

Facts

He was not sober

He had an argument with a taxi driver and damaged the taxi

The taxi driver called the police

The police apprehended him and he resisted arrest.
Still keeping the faith!
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

He didn't assault police officers though, that's what I mean. He has been criticised mainly for assaulting police officers, not damaging a taxi, which is insured anyway. He is just defending himself against false accusations of assaulting police officers, which looks like it didn't happen.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Either way it'll save years of hearing the same question over and over again.

On a side note it's not usually a good idea to drive a vehicle with a door open, let alone one where the interior lights up like a Christamas tree when the side door is open!
Cheery chappy
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

ellis9 wrote:He didn't assault police officers though, that's what I mean. He has been criticised mainly for assaulting police officers, not damaging a taxi, which is insured anyway. He is just defending himself against false accusations of assaulting police officers, which looks like it didn't happen.
You are entitled to your wrong opinion.

The insurance of the taxi is irrelevant - Manu admitted occasioning criminal damage;

Manu admitted assualting police officers - he now claims he did not realise that they were police officers - highly unlikely - "I am a Police Officer" - well of course anyone could say that particularly when wearing uniform!

Your opening sentence "He didn't assault police officers though," is false. He pleaded guilty to this charge. Ergo he and they and the court all agreed that he did!
Still keeping the faith!
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

I bet the solicitor didn't explain the consequences of a guilty plea:

It will come up if he needs a criminal records check, which he will if he coaches any children or youths, and will probably disqualify him from coaching

He will be refused a visa to visit the USA

He will be excluded from having a shotgun licence, should he ever want one.

He could be refused access to some qualifications and a range of jobs, should he want to go that route when his career ends.

The moral of the story is plead not guilty if you genuinely feel you are not guilty, even after taking legal advice. Trying to get it all over and done with in a day just to avoid an inconvenient court date is. Irresponsible. Had he been called into the squad, the date would, quite reasonably be put back. Manu's assault of the taxi driver would be enough to blot his copybook, and a guilty plea was appropriate. The case of the police officers is different in that he says he was unaware of who they were. A good lawyer would put enough doubt in the minds of the Bench that a finding of not guilty should be possible, even tough "just touching" can constitute assault.

If Manu's claim that he told Slancaster he would not be available before the court hearing is a true and accurate statement, Slancasters duplicitousness is beyond belief.
Valhalla I am coming!
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

fleabane wrote:
If Manu's claim that he told Slancaster he would not be available before the court hearing is a true and accurate statement, Slancasters duplicitousness is beyond belief.
This raises a different question!

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003
Still keeping the faith!