Time to get real, RWC

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Time to get real, RWC

Post by loretta »

Like many, I suspect, I've been pretty luke-warm about the forthcoming RWC.

Yes, I've been looking forwards to it in a subdued way, but I've also been whinging along about games being played at the crispbowl, no games at WR, team selection, performance etc. to a point where I seem to have talked myself out of enjoying the occasion.

Then I listened to this, http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b068j9b7 and I remembered how good it could be. If you're feeling lack-lustre about this years RWC, dis-engaged with the event, almost objecting to the fact that it gets in the way of the league, I urge you to listen too. If hairs aren't standing up at the last minute of commentary, if you don't feel like punching the air and at least dreaming about just the chance of the same level of thrills and excitement happening on home soil, my only advice would be to go find another sport to follow.

Yes, we all have negative opinions about team selection, coaches, venues etc. but the bottom line is that the biggest competition in our sport is coming up fast, on home turf, and I've just decided to put moaning and whinging aside and enjoy it!
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Time to get real, RWC

Post by JackFlashJonny »

I will be there at the opening game next week and I for one cannot wait...It is going to be a great occasion and I hope as a country we embrace it :smt023
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

It is definitely going to be great few weeks of rugby and I am really looking forward to that. It is just a shame I cannot feel passionate about any of the teams taking part. I just cannot support England under Lancaster. However, I am seriously looking forward to watching the Tigers lads for whichever country they are playing, and I will definitely be supporting them! Then when that is over, bring on the Premiership! :)
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

The World Cup is coming to our country. Some games are even in our home city. England, contrary to the nonsense oft spouted on this forum and others, are a good side with a decent chance on capitalising on home advantage.

I'm always excited for a Rugby World Cup. More so with these circumstances. I just cannot comprehend the mindset of a supposed rugby fan who isn't excited about it.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Loretta I totally agree with you. At the risk of sounding somewhat of a bore, I predicted this would happen as soon as the venues were chosen, particularly the Leicester venue. I don't want to watch world class rugby teams play at a football stadium. My fervent wish was that the West stand now being built would have happened at least 3 years ago and then the stuffed shirts argument about playing matches at bigger stadia would have been knocked into a cocked hat. The only thing that impels them is their greed. They don't give a monkey's curse about the ordinary fans just their corporate chums and mates who usually attend on freebies.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

JackFlashJonny wrote:I will be there at the opening game next week and I for one cannot wait...It is going to be a great occasion and I hope as a country we embrace it :smt023
I will be there ..... as always
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Noddy555 wrote:Loretta I totally agree with you. At the risk of sounding somewhat of a bore, I predicted this would happen as soon as the venues were chosen, particularly the Leicester venue. I don't want to watch world class rugby teams play at a football stadium. My fervent wish was that the West stand now being built would have happened at least 3 years ago and then the stuffed shirts argument about playing matches at bigger stadia would have been knocked into a cocked hat. The only thing that impels them is their greed. They don't give a monkey's curse about the ordinary fans just their corporate chums and mates who usually attend on freebies.

Yes Noddy you are just that!

It would not have been sufficient to rebuild the West Stand. The Crumbie and the changing and medical facilities therein would also have to have been rebuilt. Tigers could not have afforded that in the last three years. Even with our latest sugar daddy it would have bankrupted them.

Which is of course what you would have wanted!!

:smt016
Still keeping the faith!
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

I am a bit surprised by the lack of promotion. There have been a few low key ads on ITV, but I have seen no posters or any other signs around. I drive on the M6 past Villa Park every day to work, and the only reference to the WC is a road sign advising people to plan their journey due to the matches at Villa Park. There are huge light up advertising billboards near the RAC, advertising Swan Lake, nothing about the rugby, with one week to go!

Most of my non rugby playing friends are only aware it is happening because I have told them! I do hope we are not going to have a load of half empty stadiums.
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

The day we start looking forward to club rugby over internationals or world cups is the day our game dies and we become football.

The English football team qualified in the fastest time ever for a major tournament last week and Wayne Rooney became the all time leading goal scorer but no one seemed to care, very sad times.

It should be the pinnacle to represent your country and a sense of pride in supporting them doing so. Lancaster has made great strides with reconnecting the side with the fans which should be applauded. The national side was a disgrace four years ago, we've come a long way in a short space of time.

ITS A WORLD CUP IN OUR OWN COUNTRY, YOU WONT SEE ANOTHER ONE FOR DECADES.

Please try not to be a buzzkill, the doubters can all get back to looking for problems on 1st November but please try and let the rest of us enjoy this once in a life time occasion.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

I remember watching Italy vs New Zealand at Welford Road in 1991. It is hardly once in a lifetime.

I also cannot understand how supporting your club over a country means the game would be like wendyball. I will be a Tigers' fan foremost for the rest of my life, no matter what. England have far better players than 4 years ago. Nothing to do with Lancaster. He doesn't even pick half of them! Sorry to be a buzzkill. I'll try harder. However, I am very much looking forward to the rugby. Should be a great event.
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

I am a bit surprised by the lack of promotion. There have been a few low key ads on ITV, but I have seen no posters or any other signs around. I drive on the M6 past Villa Park every day to work, and the only reference to the WC is a road sign advising people to plan their journey due to the matches at Villa Park. There are huge light up advertising billboards near the RAC, advertising Swan Lake, nothing about the rugby, with one week to go!

Most of my non rugby playing friends are only aware it is happening because I have told them! I do hope we are not going to have a load of half empty stadiums.
AlphaWiseOwl

Post by AlphaWiseOwl »

I agree with the lack of publicity complaints here. If it were not for the fact that we are regular rugby supporters we would have absolutely no idea this RWC was about to start in just over a week's time. The map of Leicester which 'Visit Leicester' in its wisdom has issued as part of its 24 page Leicester Guide to RWC 2015 hasn't even got the King Power Stadium or the Fanzone location on it!!! The detailed map covers a square with St Margaret's Bus Station at the centre top, the Guru Nanak Sikh Gurdwara Museum at centre left, the top half of Welford Road (ironicallly) and the County and Crown Courts at centre bottom and St George's Retail Park at centre right. The Railway station just makes it into the bottom right corner. WONDEFUL!!! The Visit Leicester office in Gallowtree Gate (nowhere near where the rugby action will be) is the centre point of the map. Not helpful, not helpful at all.