Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Jeremy Anderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Catering & Bar Feedback - Season 2015/16

Post by Jeremy Anderson »

Not sure much has changed.....
Great day out on Saturday at WR - big let down was the beer. Before the clubhouse was demolished you could Tigers Cask (real Ale) in the Captain's bar. I emailed Tigers and was told only now available in the final whistle which is not useful if you are in the Crumbie and cannot access from within the ground. Instead we tried the ABC to find no beer pumps at all everything served through a gun and all very poor quality. No probs with re-usable containers but we will not be drinking at WR when quality is very poor and some very expensive. A 330ml bottle of lager for £3.90 ie £7.80 a pint is taking the Michael particular as incorrectly listed under the 1 pint heading on the bar menu.
Jez

Only Winners Win!
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Jeremy Anderson wrote:Not sure much has changed.....
Great day out on Saturday at WR - big let down was the beer. Before the clubhouse was demolished you could Tigers Cask (real Ale) in the Captain's bar. I emailed Tigers and was told only now available in the final whistle which is not useful if you are in the Crumbie and cannot access from within the ground. Instead we tried the ABC to find no beer pumps at all everything served through a gun and all very poor quality. No probs with re-usable containers but we will not be drinking at WR when quality is very poor and some very expensive. A 330ml bottle of lager for £3.90 ie £7.80 a pint is taking the Michael particular as incorrectly listed under the 1 pint heading on the bar menu.
There have been quite a few changes Jeremy, but all too few improvements (if any).

Incidentally I understand that contrary to what you were told Cask Ale was not available in the Final Whistle anyway.
Still keeping the faith!
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Can I ask everyone moaning (possibly rightly so) something?

If you went to a retail store, restaurant etc and received such poor service would you go back?

If the service is so bad, then why bother using it? You surely don't NEED a drink or food that badly and you can always bring your own.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

ellis9 wrote:Can I ask everyone moaning (possibly rightly so) something?

If you went to a retail store, restaurant etc and received such poor service would you go back?

If the service is so bad, then why bother using it? You surely don't NEED a drink or food that badly and you can always bring your own.
I have made abundantly clear for several seasons that I have voted with my feet and no longer dine at WR. I used to do so - but with a cost penalty approaching a multiple of 5 (or a service level of 1/5) I stopped. I have recommended that others do likewise.

I do enjoy having a pint with my friends in the ground (and being able to take it to my seat). With cask ale no longer being available I may forego this luxury also.

I have personally expressed my views to Peter Tom, Who thaked me for them ans tried to get Simon Cohen and the Caterers to do something about it. It would appear usuccessfully.

I have concluded that Tigers are not interested in my custom (for refreshment). They would prefer that I took it eslewhere. They are only interested in "Corporates" and those who are prepared to sit behind the posts. I do not want to sit behind the posts - I want to stay on the half way line.

But I am only a Customer (and shareholder)! :smt003
Still keeping the faith!
Jeremy Anderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremy Anderson »

We will be with you Bill from now on drinking outside WR only to return if they ever reinstate Tigers Cask beer at a bar in the ground. I would not classify what they were serving yesterday in the ABC as beer.
Very sad that the club does not seem to care about the simple wish to enjoy a pint of beer at a reasonable price while watching rugby, something you can do at nearly all rugby grounds in England. How far we have fallen from the amateur days.
Jez

Only Winners Win!
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Jeremy Anderson wrote:We will be with you Bill from now on drinking outside WR only to return if they ever reinstate Tigers Cask beer at a bar in the ground. I would not classify what they were serving yesterday in the ABC as beer.
Very sad that the club does not seem to care about the simple wish to enjoy a pint of beer at a reasonable price while watching rugby, something you can do at nearly all rugby grounds in England. How far we have fallen from the amateur days.
Just so Jeremy. Of course in the amateur days we had "volunteers" serving in the bars and enjoyed first class service. But the "volunteers" could multi task and had a sense of humour.

:smt003
Still keeping the faith!
Tyzot
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tyzot »

Perhaps I missed something. Has the cask Tiger been doscontinued officially? I thought it was just the usual poor stock management.
TheproudTiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TheproudTiger »

Well what can you say.
Just poor and annoying and more to the point Cohen or Tom or whoever has any importance in our club obviously don't give a damn after all they are with the corporates and their corporate staff enjoying better service and beer or perhaps champagne !!!
Bill has got it spot on - DONT DRINK AT WELFORD ROAD B4 DURING OR AFTER... or if you do ........ take your own in. :smt013
animalnitrate
Tiger Cub

Post by animalnitrate »

Although not a catering/bar problem, I was disappointed to discover that programmes for MA's testimonial were sold out well before kick-off! We arrived about 2.30 and not a programme in sight. Did someone not order enough from the printers?
Ads677
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ads677 »

animalnitrate wrote:Although not a catering/bar problem, I was disappointed to discover that programmes for MA's testimonial were sold out well before kick-off! We arrived about 2.30 and not a programme in sight. Did someone not order enough from the printers?
They probably believed their own press that there would only be an attendance of 4,000!
Cassandra
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Cassandra »

ellis9 wrote:You surely don't NEED a drink or food that badly and you can always bring your own.
Then you get accused of being a tartan blanket-wearing, flask of tea-carrying old fart.

On Saturday at around 2.00, I went to the bar in the Cat Stand lower deck for a second round (1 pint of Tiger and 1 pint of Guinness). The girl behind the bar asked which beer had been in which glass as it was obvious they didn't have sufficient glasses to give me fresh ones. However, this was OK as I didn't mind using the same glasses. I went to the bar again partway through the first half for the same round, went to the same lass and told her which glass had contained which beer. A semi-supervisor (best term I can think of) suddenly appeared and said they couldn't use the same glasses and I had to have fresh new ones. I asked since I'd used the same glasses earlier why couldn't I use them then. As expected, I got no definite answer and was given fresh glasses.

At the end of the match, I cashed in my pair of glasses and that will be the last time I use that bar at Welford Road. It was staffed by little boys and girls who most likely had been given one job to do and obviously couldn't think for themselves if something slightly awry occurred. I usually drive to Leicester but this time I went on the train. I shall revert back to driving, leaving the instant the final whistle goes, driving back home, putting the car away and going to my local.

We keep being promised an improvement in the catering so when is it going to happen?
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

It will never improve because cask ale is seen as a problem for bars which open infrequently. For them, keg bitter and larger will keep better and are quicker to serve so cask is only going to be viable in the larger bars.

It is also true that the standard of the bar staff is abysmal but very cheap so the chance of any change there is also nil.

I now have the odd pint at the ground whereas when the old drogs bar was in business we often had a couple before the game and definitely stayed for one or more after. I'm afraid the new drogs bar bears little resemblance to the old and as such has little attraction.

The one good thing in terms of food is the hot pork sandwiches in fromt of the cat stand. Perhaps expensive at £5 but well worth it :smt023
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

[quote="Noggs"]It will never improve /quote]

Poor service, poor product, high prices = current business model.

Result - dissatisfied customers, declining sales.
Still keeping the faith!
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

animalnitrate wrote:Although not a catering/bar problem, I was disappointed to discover that programmes for MA's testimonial were sold out well before kick-off! We arrived about 2.30 and not a programme in sight. Did someone not order enough from the printers?
I heard that they went to print just over a week before the game and at that point the ticket sales was just 4000 and so they printed accordingly. I see from the fixture list that the gate was, in fact, 8000 and more people appear to have bought programmes than usual, hence the shortage.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

This is from the start of last thread on catering:

Dear all

Catering meeting Wednesday May 23rd

Present:
Simon Cohen (Tigers CEO)
Matthew Nicholson (GM Lindleys)
Jason Burns (Deputy General Manager, Lindleys)
Tiger Dad (Fans Representative)

Following a lively and open discussion about all things catering, Lindleys and Tigers agreed to the following;

1. Committed to pre-pour before KO and before HT in all bars, without fail
2. A new menu is to be trailed next season in an attempt to improve consistency and quality.
3. Additional coffee, tea, chocolate kiosks will be installed in the top concourse of the CAT
4. Re-introduce the server/ tiller combo.
5. Improve/ defining queuing lines and areas
6. Scaling up of staff and food quantities according to attendance
7. Bar and kiosk supervisors will feedback any issues to Jason so he can ensure they are addressed before the next match.
8. Improved communication between bars, kiosks and managers during match day.
9. Simon is to confirm that the Mark bar (next to the ABC) is always available at half time for all matches. Currently they are unable to commit to all games before KO due to community commitments but has agreed that it will be available for the majority of games.

Lindleys have also invited me to a pre-match briefing of the catering staff.

This was from 3 years ago and was a new thread replacing the previous one. Tigers and Lindleys talk a good fight. But in reality - we are just where we were 3 years ago. Inevitable conclusion? They just don't give a stuff.

We haven't bought a drink or food in the ground for 4 years and won't be for many a year to come at this rate. What amazes me is that people still do. Mind you it means I can get a decent pint in the Counting House at a decent price and with good service (especially if you all carry on drinking in the ground).

What was it someone said last season? Ah yes, 'The definition of insanity - to continue doing the same thing over and over and over again in the hope it will get better eventually.'

Good luck.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.