Benny Kayser

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

smalldell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Benny Kayser

Post by smalldell »

And how many British people generally compared to people in Europe for example speak another language.

Footballers are not intellectually limited in this area...the vast majority of the British population are

Get real..just accept we do not take language teaching seriously,
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

smalldell wrote:And how many British people generally compared to people in Europe for example speak another language.

Footballers are not intellectually limited in this area...the vast majority of the British population are

Get real..just accept we do not take language teaching seriously,
yes but the reason for the is English is the international language, its used by Air traffic control globally as well as in business.

Footballers are no less capable of learning a language than anyone else they simply don't need to, especially with the money in the English game they don't tend to go abroad, those that do tend to be fluent in the language of their employment.

My initial point was it was a needless petty dig at footballers
Cassandra
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Cassandra »

There is a big difference between being fluent in a language and being coherent in it.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

A fine player and clearly very articulate.
Shame he had to return to France to chase his international dreams.
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

Cassandra wrote:There is a big difference between being fluent in a language and being coherent in it.
Leave Noddy out of this thread! :smt018
youngtiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by youngtiger »

Jimmy Skitz wrote:
smalldell wrote: Get real..just accept we do not take language teaching seriously,
yes but the reason for the is English is the international language, its used by Air traffic control globally as well as in business.

Footballers are no less capable of learning a language than anyone else they simply don't need to, especially with the money in the English game they don't tend to go abroad, those that do tend to be fluent in the language of their employment.

Agree with smalldell, yes English is the international language, but our failure in foreign languages leaves us pretty ignorant in many ways.

Footballers are often less intelligent. You could probably say the same for most sports people, but you'd be more accurate if you said footballers.

Anyway, why so sensitive? So you're a football fan, clearly understood, but it was a fairly inane dig.

Anyway, Benjamin Kayser, good bloke, I'd have him back, if he could convince Her Ladyship.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

youngtiger wrote:
Jimmy Skitz wrote:
smalldell wrote: Get real..just accept we do not take language teaching seriously,

Agree with smalldell, yes English is the international language, but our failure in foreign languages leaves us pretty ignorant in many ways.

Footballers are often less intelligent. You could probably say the same for most sports people, but you'd be more accurate if you said footballers.

Anyway, why so sensitive? So you're a football fan, clearly understood, but it was a fairly inane dig.

Anyway, Benjamin Kayser, good bloke, I'd have him back, if he could convince Her Ladyship.
I'm not sensitive over it it was just a needless dig, snobbery it all its glory but because it's towards footballers, who tend to be from lower income families its allowed and no one says a thing
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Jimmy Skitz wrote:
I'm not sensitive over it it was just a needless dig, snobbery it all its glory but because it's towards footballers, who tend to be from lower income families its allowed and no one says a thing
IMHO I don't see that snobbery is definitely the sentiment behind the comment and it did not strike me as such when I read it first, nor does on re-reading it. It certainly seems to have struck a nerve with you, but I feel that you are overreacting and we will have to agree to differ. As I said, all IMHO.
refsguidedog
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by refsguidedog »

Footballers? Don't think any one here was the first to ridicule them?

"Well Brian... I'm opening a boutique

....I hit the ball first time and there it was in the back of the net"
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hwedcm9WPzk

Jimmy , watch Al Murray You Tube and Jason Bent..
150% true.......

Unfortunately it is down to Education, and in Britain it is fearfully bad....

Which is the reason Public Schools abound, even at a ridiculous cost...
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

fortysix wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hwedcm9WPzk

Jimmy , watch Al Murray You Tube and Jason Bent..
150% true.......

Unfortunately it is down to Education, and in Britain it is fearfully bad....

Which is the reason Public Schools abound, even at a ridiculous cost...
Again you are missing my point, there was no need to bring them into it at all
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Can we keep this discussion on the topic of Benny Kayser and his command of the English language.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Tigerbeat wrote:Can we keep this discussion on the topic of Benny Kayser and his command of the English language.
Saw one article this week about Wesley Fofana that may also help explain Kayser's continued ease of use - Clermont are getting English tutors for their French players as much of the playing squad work is done in English!
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
simoscribbler
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by simoscribbler »

[/quote]
He also had two years in Leicester where we speak proper English, me duck[/quote]

Yes, his English is great, and I thought I could hear just a trace of East Midlands in the vowel sounds.

I'm old enough to remember the good old days, when only Rives had more than a few words of English, and not many more at that. I almost preferred it, in a way.
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

simoscribbler wrote: I'm old enough to remember the good old days, when only Rives had more than a few words of English, and not many more at that. I almost preferred it, in a way.
Me too, and Brian Moore was the best teacher of English to the French when he was winding his pack up telling them and the French just how little (nothing at all, really!) they should give them!