England:the Journey continues!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Super User
Super User

Re: England for the weekend

Post by 4071 »

jgriffin wrote:What really racks me off is that Lancaster today states that Cipriani is only in contention for the 15 berth.
That's understandable in a way, even if most other people would rate Cipriani's mercurial skills over Farrell's more workmanlike style.

However, if Cipriani is competing against Goode for that second FB, third-choice FH slot then why has he been given just 25 minutes behind a struggling pack? Why not actually give him decent game time at FB to press his case. He touched the ball ONCE against France. And that one touch produced a majestic offload to create a half-break. But when it comes to the final audition match.... he's back on the bench.

Cips is gone. Goode did enough against France, and Cips has not been given the time to prove himself.
Downsouth

Post by Downsouth »

The selection I understand least is Twelvetrees, almost no one realistically gives him any chance of making the squad and there is a massive debate on who else should be the centres, so why not give someone else game time who is up for selection? In my view Cipriani is in a similar position, I think he can be a game changer from the bench, but it seems Ford and Farrell will be at 10 with Slade and Goode (in absolute emergency) covering and Brown and Goode with Slade and Watson covering at full back.

We have to trust that Lancaster is acting for the best of the team and knows what he is doing. It is not a case of just selecting the two best fifteens and one other. We are lucky to be in a position where we can leave out a player like Cipriani.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

There are lots of tough calls here, but for some of you to suggest that SL is following some kind of "agenda" is frankly bonkers.

4071 is right, SL will pick what he believes to be the best 31 players to try and win the WC. Whilst we may not always agree with the selections, to suggest SL has anything but the best interests of the England team at heart, is showing a level paranoia and prejudice that has no logic whatsoever.

I agree Cips has been unlucky and should have been given a start in one of these warm up games. I would take Slade over Burgess, and also include Burrell who IMO played pretty well in the 6N where he started every match and we scored 18 trys.

But I have not had the benefit of seeing these players train for the past 8 weeks, nor did I watch as many matches last season as the coaching team, nor do I have the experience of top flight rugby that the coaching team possess.

So whilst I may have my favourites and personal prejudices, I will back SL and the England players selected to the hilt, they are all good players and will all give of their best. If we fail it will more likely be down to a bit of luck here or there and the referee!!Oh and there is the little matter of class.....NZ are still the hot favourites!
Soggypitch
watsonjm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by watsonjm »

4071 wrote:
You have to know that's a ridiculous comment. He has a pretty safe contract already and has no need to justify his squad to the fans. He is objectively selecting the best squad he thinks can win the WC. He doesn't need to 'show game time with first choice players' in order to make excuses. Indeed, he could have picked a completely different side with predominantly second-string players again and you'd have still put it down to him playing silly games in order to keep his job.

The fact is that if he picks Burgess over 12T, if he picks Burrell over Slade, if he picks Goode/Farrell over Cipriani, if he picks Wood over a tackle bag with a face drawn on it, if he picks Kruis over Parling or any other combination of 50/50 selections then he's doing it because he believes that his choice is the best choice to win the WC.

He's likely to be wrong on some calls, and he's likely to disagree with many fans on others (which is not the same as being wrong). There has never been a universally accepted WC squad in the history of the game.

I think we know his first XV, though - it's basically the starting line-up above, but with a return for the injured Barritt. And I think most would agree with most of that selection. The fringe players in or out of the squad are always going to be more controversial as we have so many players at similar levels, and someone is always going to have favourites that miss out (Kvesic, Simpson, Eastmond, Wade, Tait, etc).
[/quote][/quote]

100% agree with this. Lancaster will pick who he thinks can win.

I've had many issues with SL over the years he's been incharge but with 1 month to go until we kick off the World Cup its time, for me at least, to get fully behind the England team and coaches.

Counting down to the 18th!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I have no doubts about the quality of most England players, including some who will be/have been dumped.
I have every doubt about the quality of the coaching team.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

My sentiments too, JG!
Valhalla I am coming!
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

This teams possibly 60% of our best side, for me there would be changes on the wing and replacements, it will be interesting to see what team Lancaster fields in the last warm up match before he has to make his final decisions.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

Noddy555 wrote:This teams possibly 60% of our best side, for me there would be changes on the wing and replacements, it will be interesting to see what team Lancaster fields in the last warm up match before he has to make his final decisions.
This side is at least 80% of Lancaster's first choice side. I think these are the wings he's going for, which would bump it up to 87%, and if Wood has played himself out of the No6 shirt then it's basically his first choice line-up bar the absent Barritt.

12 of the 15 are first choice at the moment.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

4071 wrote:
Noddy555 wrote:This teams possibly 60% of our best side, for me there would be changes on the wing and replacements, it will be interesting to see what team Lancaster fields in the last warm up match before he has to make his final decisions.
This side is at least 80% of Lancaster's first choice side. I think these are the wings he's going for, which would bump it up to 87%, and if Wood has played himself out of the No6 shirt then it's basically his first choice line-up bar the absent Barritt.

I disagree with regard to the wingers. I have a hunch that Watson is nailed on after his performance on Saturday and it will come down to form over the next couple of games as to who gets the other starting berth May or Nowell.
Soggypitch
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Soggypitch wrote:
4071 wrote:

I disagree with regard to the wingers. I have a hunch that Watson is nailed on after his performance on Saturday and it will come down to form over the next couple of games as to who gets the other starting berth May or Nowell.

These is my thoughts exactly SP :smt023

I still think George could play himself onto the bench if his darts are good and he is effective around the park..I am just hoping Burrell is below par as to have him over Slade would be a sad day he doesn't even crash well for a man of his size..
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Slide ought to be a shoe-in at 12. Two tens at 10 and 12 gives more attacking options, particularly if Fazlet is at 10. Paired with Barritt, Burgess or Burrell at 13, Nowell, Goode and Watson at the back would be my selection. I think any of the three :censored: would do, but I would prefer Barritt.
Valhalla I am coming!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: England for the weekend 2nd round

Post by jgriffin »

France squad to face England

S Spedding; Y Huget, M Bastareaud, W Fofana, N Nakaitaci; F Michalak, S Tillous-Borde; EB Arous, G Guirado, R Slimani, P Papé (capt), Y Maestri, D Chouly, B le Roux, L Picamoles.

Replacements: B Kayser, V Debaty, U Atonio, A Flanquart, Y Nyanga, R Kockott, R Tales, G Fickou.

Which version of Michalak will turn up?
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

The mistake I think we might be making is that we need to pick a squad that compliments the first team. The replacements don't need to be the next best players, they need to be the players that will fit in to the team best. This is why I think it is a massive mistake to have released Daly. JJ is our clear 13 but if he goes down injured the team has to change its way of playing. Daly is about the only player we have that could fit into that same game plan. He also has the speed and skills to cover wing and fullback from the bench.

This is why I am not against Burgess going. Brad is our starting 12 and if you want a 12 who is strong in defence and a powerful runner I would prefer Burgess to Burrell.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

If Brad Barritt plays at 12 it will just demonstrate how England have not really progressed in 4 years. We already have a 7 that does little else other than tackle. Do we want to play a defensive game? Do we think we can beat the top teams with that approach? I certainly don't.

And yes I would have liked to have Elliott Daly in the squad in place of Burrell, who in my opinion is yet another decent club player who can't cut it at international level.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I suspect Lancaster will do much as Woodward did - discover his best side the year after the world cup.

The back row is an issue.
Loose head - unless Corbisiero gets back to a decent level of fitness we have Marler with limited back up. Vunipola, for all his ability in the loose, is not a strong enough scrummager against the best teams. Likewise at hooker the back up to Youngs is minimal , the like of Cowan-Dickie not there yet
Wings - plenty of talent around but not much experience.
Centre - the big problem at this world cup. In the longer run I'd like to see Slade and Manu.

England are not a bad side but they need a few key players back or the rising stars to plug the current gaps.