World Cup Ticket Failure

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

World Cup Ticket Failure

Post by JackFlashJonny »

I am not stating this is directly the fault of the organisers as I know they tried to get laws to change so this would be illegal..

But just browsing Stubhub and the vast amount of tickets on sale for England matches at the RWC especially is ridiculous how on earth did touts get so many?.....Or are these supposed England fans who just want to make some money...

It is sad that this great event will see either the people who can afford being ripped off to extortionate proportions (many of you will see it as if they are dumb enough to pay so be it) or empty seats which would be even worse..Especially when many of us would love to be there

I have tickets for the opening ceremony/game which cost me too much but I bought them through the correct channels so at least got what the organisers deemed them to be worth/could get out of people..

Just think this will be known as the rip off world cup but seeing as it is in rip off Britain I suppose it is apt at least :smt002
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: World Cup Ticket Failure

Post by Stu_F »

The purpose of holding the World Cup in England was to make as much profit as possible to compensate for the losses from 2011, & then allow it to go to a "development" venue in 2019.

That doesn't answer the "how did touts get so many tickets?" question.
jonlin
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by jonlin »

The tickets in the hands of Stub Hub will have come from one of the official ticket suppliers. This is common practice with music concert tickets. Most of the artists then receive a percentage from the resale of these tickets.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Stu_F wrote:The purpose of holding the World Cup in England was to make as much profit as possible to compensate for the losses from 2011, & then allow it to go to a "development" venue in 2019.

That doesn't answer the "how did touts get so many tickets?" question.
A "developing nation" like NZ who managed to lose money in 2011?

RFU despite their protestations always wanted a healthy "black market" in tickets, Their ticket marketing and release strategy encouraged it.
Still keeping the faith!
jonlin
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by jonlin »

[quote

RFU despite their protestations always wanted a healthy "black market" in tickets, Their ticket marketing and release strategy encouraged it.[/quote]
Black market tickets means unaccountable black market money. Those who allow this behavior, are not doing it for the benefit of the game. Any thoughts anyone as to how the black market money is divided.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

It's not surprising that the whole thing has become a failure, when your greed dictates that Rugby games are played in Football stadia and I'm excluding London in this. If the matches in Leicester were being played at Welford road, I would have been first in the queue for tickets, as it is I think I'll be watching the Leicester games on Tele.
Grumpy of Crumbie

Post by Grumpy of Crumbie »

I just wanted to point out that excluding the England matches tickets are available for the majority of games including all quarter finals on the official website.
If you don't go in hard it's not a tackle it's an insult.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Grumpy of Crumbie wrote:I just wanted to point out that excluding the England matches tickets are available for the majority of games including all quarter finals on the official website.
Yep. Just went to have a look for what was left for Tonga v Argentina. At £115 I'll pass.
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

It says 'currently unavailable' for cheaper tickets for most of the games. I presume that means that at some stage they will become available. I wonder what price they will be?
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

If anyone wants any tickets for a specific game in Leicester for instance give me a PM and I will try and get them in the last resale of said cheaper tickets..

Have very good internet at work so have been very lucky so far and am happy to try (England matches are all gone though from the looks of it) :smt023

They will only be the price shown northerntiger..Or as I imagine they are trying to sell corporate packages or travel and if they don't they will become available..
Grumpy of Crumbie

Post by Grumpy of Crumbie »

Iain wrote:
Grumpy of Crumbie wrote:I just wanted to point out that excluding the England matches tickets are available for the majority of games including all quarter finals on the official website.
Yep. Just went to have a look for what was left for Tonga v Argentina. At £115 I'll pass.
Just trying to be helpful. What you pay or don't is your choice. But for information for the games in Leicester there are currently tickets for Argentina v Tonga at £50 and Canada v Romania at £15.
If you don't go in hard it's not a tackle it's an insult.
doublecarpet

Post by doublecarpet »

definitely tickets being posted daily. I've picked up all England games bar Uruquay, (not interested) (Fiji Cat D). £75 and cat D for the following in the last month:
Aus v Wales
Fra v Ire
Ire v Italy
NZ v Arg
All £50

Both Twickenham Qfs for £95 & both Twickenham semis at £125.
Brutus
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Brutus »

I love watching live rugby, (especially when the team is playing in green, red and white) and I'd love to be able to go with my wife and daughter to experience watching England at the world cup. I am lucky that I can afford to pay the ticket prices but I refuse to out of principle because I think us fans are being exploited.

Part of my reluctance is the last time I was at Twickenham when England played Samoa, I was stuck next to a posh, poncey (assumed Saracens fan) who was complaining about the weather, the England team and proclaiming his disgust for people drinking, for the entire 80 minutes (I wanted to pummel the little cretin!). It kind of ruined the experience by detracting from matters on the pitch and I wouldn't want to pay hundreds to have that kind of experience during an important world cup game.

In addition, if the decision not to play any games at Welford road (sod pitch size regulations I say!) can be justified then we should have all matches in the tournament played at the largest stadia possible and tickets priced accordingly to fill the seats. I appreciate that this wouldn't affect the England matches as HQ is huge anyway but I felt like a rant... and it could attract potential new fans to the minor matches.

Back to England, I know it is about supply and demand but I went to the rugby league world cup to watch England play and my tickets cost a meagre £18 each. Granted it was a one sided affair, with our boys destroying Ireland 42-0 but the atmosphere was incredible and I'm sure that many of the non rugby league fans who attended were won over by the sport. By the way, Slammin Sam who was immense in that tournament (although suspended for the Ireland game) and his brothers are pretty effective units themselves!

To get to my point, as a fan and player of union and someone who likes league, I found the rugby league world cup to be incredibly well run with the sense of inclusivity, which almost certainly succeeded in recruiting new fans and getting more young kids interested in the sport.
Before this world cup has even started though I am left with a slightly bitter taste in my mouth, that this is exclusive and that new and young fans will not get the chance to experience the pinnacle of the worlds best sport first-hand.

I know a lot of people will disagree with my complaints and I can see the argument that there are enough rugby fans in this country who deserve the chance to outbid those with no existing connection to the game. Needless to say though I'll be cheering for our boys on a big screen!

Also, having a sentimental attachment to the team that I saw battle so hard in the RL 2013 world cup I sincerely hope Burgess makes the cut, albeit solely on merit.
Snorbins
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Snorbins »

[quote="Stu_F"]The purpose of holding the World Cup in England was to make as much profit as possible to compensate for the losses from 2011, & then allow it to go to a "development" venue in 2019.

I am looking forward to the Development country tournament in Wales then; lots of nice little grounds with bracing breezes coming in off the sea.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Grumpy of Crumbie wrote:
Iain wrote:
Just trying to be helpful. What you pay or don't is your choice. But for information for the games in Leicester there are currently tickets for Argentina v Tonga at £50 and Canada v Romania at £15.
There wasn't when I checked. Seems like you need to keep your eyes open!

Would go to Canada v Romania but I won't be out of work in time for it.