England squad ratings during the warm ups games

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

brooksey845

England squad ratings during the warm ups games

Post by brooksey845 »

Just got back from the game and would like to share my thoughts on the game and see what other people thought.
Mako Vunipola- IMO best forward for us on the pitch strong in the loose in attack and defence big runs and big hits. Thought he was doing well in the scrum until some of the changes were made. 7/10

Webber- Mediocre made a few ok runs in the tight but nothing special at all 4/10

Brookes- A frustrating performance for me faded in and out of the game for me sometimes looked to be trying really hard then at other times not so much. Needs to watch his tackling technique around the ruck as he is not using his arms. Probably would of had the last prop spot over Corbs injury looked like a broken wrist so potentially puts him out of the world cup. 5/10

Parling- Difficult to see the work that Parling normally does live as the game is further away than normal. Lineout was poor. Unfair for me to rate him

Kruis- Mobile around the pitch lineout was poor, poor handling error cost us as well. 5/10

Wood- Poor very mediocre player IMO far better players in the country that could make a difference. Didn't really see him do much of note. 4/10

Clark- Shouldn't be near the squad Kvesic should of started tonight best teams in the world start with a classic 7. Australia are currently playing with two one of them is world class in Pocock and other in Hooper is not far off. Got a yellow card, missed a couple of tackles, didn't see any linking of play really which I like in a 7. Think he is to tall to play 7 is being moulded into the position. 4/10

Morgan- Ring rusty good to see him back think another couple of appearances in the warm ups will do him good. Looked in very good condition though. Picamoles was the far superior of the two. 5/10

Wigglesworth- A standard Wigglesworth performance basic done well good box kicker and passer. 5/10

Farrell- A standard Farrell performance good in D, kicked off the tee well. 5/10

May- Looks to of taken his training camp form onto the pitch which is great for us. Gives us that bit of x factor on the wing created the try well. Caught out a little bit positionally when France slotted some kicks behind. (Credit to the kicker.) 7/10

Burgess- Solid performance start with his negatives steps in occasionally to much in D when he should drift which can then can be exposed on the outside this was noted when Slade performed a cover tackle for him. Still runs way to up right into contact. Yellow card not cool. Last negative he is playing in the fricking wrong position. Positives the thing i noted the most he was our biggest talker on the pitch today by a mile at every break in play he was first in pats on the backs, picking people up etc. Other than his one error of stepping in and us getting caught nearly on the outside I thought he defended his channel pretty well he stepped in and helped others as well IE with Watson and getting the lineout. Gives us a gainline threat in the backs and with our lighter set of backs we need this facility IMO. 6/10

Slade- Got a fantastic turn of speed to cover Burgess stepping in and making a lovely covering tackle on the outside. Great passing ability and such a gifted footballer. Was surprised that he did so well at 13 thought he would struggle. 6/10

Watson- Well taken try and a fantastic step to go round his opposite man in such a small space. 7/10

Goode- Stupid hitch kick/ goose step thing needs to stop. Potentially the most mediocre player ever to grace an international shirt. Great in the prem but not a test standard FB in my eyes doesn't have any x factor. Solid game did look positionally out a few times.

Corbs- Where has the form of a Lions test prop gone? He looks really poor at the moment. 3/10

LCD- Good around the park great work rate but his arrows really let him down today. 4/10

Dave Wilson- Didn't see enough of him to make a judgement.

Attwood- Solid performance 5/10

Haskell- Put himself about out of him and Wood he had the better game but Wood is a Lancaster favourite. 5/10

Care- Most surprising performance for me I thought when he came on the tempo would be slightly raised to kill off the French and he played a very Wigglesworth game of just passing the ball no threat around the break down which he is awesome at. Care should be on the bench in the world cup. 5/10

36- Didn't really have enough time to make an impact

Cips- Should of being given a go at fly half but solid at FB 5/10

Lancaster-
Pack needs a tonne of work seemed slow to the break downs, poor in the scrum and lineout. Mauls were ok but Maul defence could do with some work. Nice to see the backs score off first phase ball but I damn hope they aren't using up all there best attacking moves now I want to keep them a secret and to let them loose in the actual World Cup. Needs to pick Burgess at 6.5.5/10
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Re: England squad ratings during the warm ups games

Post by ellis9 »

I suggest all the talking from Burgess was him asking things like "What am I supposed to do now?" "Where am I supposed to be?" "Should I be standing here or there?" "I've been told by Stuart that it doesn't matter how I play, I'm still going to the World Cup!" :smt023 :smt005
Sajerj
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Sajerj »

I thought Wrigglesworth was far better than Care. Gave the team far better control, and his box kicking was generally excellent. For me, Care is out and Wrigglesworth in.
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Sajerj wrote:I thought Wrigglesworth was far better than Care. Gave the team far better control, and his box kicking was generally excellent. For me, Care is out and Wrigglesworth in.
Isn't Lancaster taking 3 scrum halves?
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
brooksey845

Post by brooksey845 »

LOL on the Burgess front! Would rather have Care on the bench than Wigglesworth IMO gives us an extra dimension and ability to break a game down.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

A bit harsh on some unpopular players who actually played well. I'm no big fan of the Sarries trio of Goode/Faz/Wiggy, but all three played well - at least 6/10 performances and probably closer to 7/10.

Underrated Haskell a bit, given that he won three turnovers and was the only one of our four back-rowers to put in a performance. Morgan was poor, Wood and Clarke even worse.

Kruis did okay in the lineout - he disrupted French ball, but our hookers were so bad at hitting their targets that the English locks were hardly able to impress on their own throw. Parling had the worst game I've seen from him in an England shirt. He should be alongside Wood and Clarke on 3/10.

Vunipola was effective in the loose - one of the few English forwards who was - but the scrum problems were very evident well before his substitution. Mas really got into him, and he struggled. That's not a 7/10 showing.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Completely agree 4071

Haskell came on and was outstanding showed Wood and Clark for back row impostors all but sealing the 6 jersey for Fiji if you ask me..Unless SL deems Woods lineout option needed

The hookers seemed a real problem I fully expect Jamie George to take his opportunity this week and seal his place as he can throw and is good around the park..

Being there it was clear the England forwards were the second string can't remember seeing a Rose crested pack shoved around at home like that for a while now..