Naughty Northampton

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Lammy

Naughty Northampton

Post by Lammy »

Link here

https://www.facebook.com/princessalexan ... on?fref=nf

"What great weather we had this weekend ! Nice to have had a visit from the lads of the Northampton Saints Rugby Team on Friday. Thanks for breaking glasses for fun, stealing from the kitchen, urinating in the garden, intimidating the female staff, and coming behind the bar to agrue they should be allowed to stay because of who they are and the money they spent. Cheers Lads."

Taken from the pub facebook page
Bod

Re: Naughty Northampton

Post by Bod »

At last a chance for Burgess when the Saints players get banned from the England squad!! Poor standards at Northampton and I imagine we haven't heard the last of this ( unless of course the publican doesn't know his rugby and they just happened to be lads in Northampton shirts).
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

Read this on the Unoffy today.........another story in the "rugby player drinks too much" mould.
Trouble is in this day and age, as we've said before, no one can put a foot out of line.
Obviously senior players like Hartley & Clarke won't be involved so must be some of the juniors: we were all young once....
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Bod wrote:At last a chance for Burgess when the Saints players get banned from the England squad!! Poor standards at Northampton and I imagine we haven't heard the last of this ( unless of course the publican doesn't know his rugby and they just happened to be lads in Northampton shirts).
Surely, any contenders for the national squad will have been in boot camp? :smt017
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
Bowden Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bowden Tiger »

I don't believe that the England Players were away last week, as I met one in John Lewis on Tuesday. If you read the article in the Northampton Cronicle and the links, you will read that,allegedly, senior players were involved.
It also seems that Narthampton Rugby Club have apologised, so everything is alright then ---Not!
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Mr Lancaster? What is good for the goose is good for the gander! We await your deliberations (or excuses) with interest.
Valhalla I am coming!
Jeremy Anderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremy Anderson »

Sounds to me that it as bad as pushing a female police officer. If so will they get the same punishment as Manu?
Perhaps this is a Saints plan to have their full squad available from the start of the Premiership!
Jez

Only Winners Win!
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

Jeremy Anderson wrote:Sounds to me that it as bad as pushing a female police officer. If so will they get the same punishment as Manu?
Perhaps this is a Saints plan to have their full squad available from the start of the Premiership!
If any England players are arrested and charged as a result of this, then they will also - probably - get the same punishment as Manu.

Until then, probably not.

Though banning Manu was win-win as he probably wouldn't have been fit for the WC anyway, and it gives a high profile example that England will not tolerate misbehaving.

If Manu had been fit and ready to go, then that would have been more of a challenge to SL.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Bad behaviour when pi.. :smt030 ..ed. Never seen that before in rugby circles :smt009
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Noggs wrote:Bad behaviour when pi.. :smt030 ..ed. Never seen that before in rugby circles :smt009
The popularity of Tigers in an area of the Swansea Valley might be influenced by a legendary birthday do involving many Ospreys players that reduced a clubhouse bar to a bombsite :smt023
I hope Stains paid up for the clear-up and made a suitable donation to charity. Not a case for England regardless, as neither Manu nor DC were (Hartley was perhaps, but IMO again ludicrously harshly done by, especially when compared to Clark).
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

The question for SL is where he draws the line. I am of the opinion that the behaviour on the field is what should determine a players availability for England - thus Hartley should be out. To start making decisions based on people's behaviour off the field is to enter the realms of moral judgements based on our own particular upbringing and cultural background.

Getting drunk and behaving badly is certainly looked upon differently in different social groups!

To say that a criminal prosecution is the red line, not to be crossed, is also invalid. Cipriani has just had his police bail extended until November, and has not yet been charged, so will be available for selection. (Drink / drive prosecutions are supposed to be fast tracked through the CJSSS process, subject to satisfactory analyses, or dropped if no charge is made).

A response should be forthcoming from SL if any squad players were involved. The incident made the papers as well as being posted on Facebook, so is well and truly in the public domain. I would like to see any offenders kept within the England environment where peer pressure from players and coaches is far more likely to help them modify their behaviour (if that is what is wanted), rather that send them to the Naughty Step like mischievous children. I would also make them compensate the pub, donate to a drink issues related charity, and perhaps also attend an alcohol awareness course.
Valhalla I am coming!
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

It's a conundrum.
I have some sympathy for players as this incident sounds like a regular Saturday night in town for many groups of young lads but then again they are supposed to be professional sports persons.
Socially they are not acting that different to the rest of the country from the sound of it but professionally they are quite different.
I thought sacrifices were needed to get to the top, maybe that is a load of bull or possibly another reason why they are not Champions.
They are a select few and I wouldn't have thought a drinking session was a great idea during pre-season, after winning a title or an end of season party I could fully understand but not in August, I'd have thought pre-season fitness was in full swing at this point.
Cheery chappy
APJones
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by APJones »

A bit of a non event really - something that does happen but shouldn't.
Like Manus 'offence' a mountain made of a mole hill (not Manu - just the incident)
However its not he first time the Stains players have offended people in a public bar. In France afer getting beaten in a Heinekekin Cup game they ( must have been first team players surely ) they did the same thing (possibly Toulon or Tolouse) :smt030 :smt030 :smt030
http://www.flickr.com/photos/apjones/collections/72157604067869830/
JOIN the Leicester Tigers Rugby photo group on Flickr LINK ABOVE
APJos and pit15
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Its struck me over recent seasons that there are a number of Stains players who are at best very immature and at worst purile.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I'm not sure it's entirely the players alone. Discipline doesn't seem too high on Saints agenda.