Sam Burgess

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Rizzo, Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

refsguidedog
Top Cat
Top Cat
Posts: 57
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:06 pm

Sam Burgess

Post by refsguidedog » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:13 pm

Is anyone else tired of all the hype about Sam Burgess? He is a better player than Farrell senior but for me he is OK at centre and OK at back row. OK is not international standard

fentiger
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2080
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 6:32 pm
Location: Wisbech

Re: Sam Burgess

Post by fentiger » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:43 pm

refsguidedog wrote:Is anyone else tired of all the hype about Sam Burgess? He is a better player than Farrell senior but for me he is OK at centre and OK at back row. OK is not international standard
+1
I was fed up with it before he arrived at Bath #bestthingsinceslicedbread :smt017

jgriffin
Super User
Super User
Posts: 7408
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:49 pm
Location: On the edge of oblivion

Re: Sam Burgess

Post by jgriffin » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:55 pm

He is being bulled up to justify his inclusion in the 31, even the Bath management seem bemused.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.

Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User
Posts: 14868
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:23 pm
Location: Essex

Re: Sam Burgess

Post by Bill W (2) » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:52 pm

What promises were made to Burgess by whom?
Still keeping the faith!

fleabane
Super User
Super User
Posts: 5170
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:26 pm
Location: Occitanie

Re: Sam Burgess

Post by fleabane » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:21 pm

Slancaster and Farrell Snr both from RL and work for RFU. RL and RFU love Burgess. Thus Slancaster and Farrell love Burgess. Q.E.D.
Valhalla I am coming!

sam16111986
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4544
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:27 pm
Location: Shepshed

Re: Sam Burgess

Post by sam16111986 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:23 am

I'm not sure Burgess is ok at centre. At flanker there is some real potential there and he did a job for Bath but at centre he just doesn't get into the game.

sapajo
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4750
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:48 pm

Re: Sam Burgess

Post by sapajo » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:56 am

Given the massively nauseating England spin campaign, anybody would think Burgess is the best and only player in the current England squad.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity

jgriffin
Super User
Super User
Posts: 7408
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:49 pm
Location: On the edge of oblivion

Re: Sam Burgess

Post by jgriffin » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:18 am

sam16111986 wrote:I'm not sure Burgess is ok at centre. At flanker there is some real potential there and he did a job for Bath but at centre he just doesn't get into the game.
Bath have publicly stated he is a 6 not a 12, as far as their club and his future is concerned.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.

fleabane
Super User
Super User
Posts: 5170
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:26 pm
Location: Occitanie

Re: Sam Burgess

Post by fleabane » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:43 am

So Slancaster knows better?
Valhalla I am coming!

brooksey845
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 129
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:38 pm

Re: Sam Burgess

Post by brooksey845 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:17 am

Burgess at 6 massive potential and actually a good option for us to have in the squad. Burgess considered as a 12 a joke he is a bog standard club player in that position.

Sajerj
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 573
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:23 am

Re: Sam Burgess

Post by Sajerj » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:44 am

fleabane wrote:Slancaster and Farrell Snr both from RL and work for RFU. RL and RFU love Burgess. Thus Slancaster and Farrell love Burgess. Q.E.D.
Sorry, you have lost me. What is Stuart Lancasters connection with RL ? Has he not played ans coached and played rugby union since he was a child ?

Farmboy
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 158
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:03 am

Re: Sam Burgess

Post by Farmboy » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:19 pm

Lancaster is looking for a replacement to Manu's physicality & is hoping Burgess will be able to fill that role.

[email protected]
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1225
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:45 am

Re: Sam Burgess

Post by [email protected] » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:33 am

Yep, sick of hearing about him.
For any non-rugby following people taking an interest in the RWC it must seem like he is the only player in the squad.
As it stands it is looking like Lancaster is setting up to pick Farrell Jr and Burgess in the centres.
If that's the case I fear that England won't get out of the pool stages.
Whilst Burgess is or was a world class league player he has not performed at that level in any game of union yet.
I doubt any other country would pick a player for a home world cup based on nothing more than potential.
SPIKE

It's not the winning or losing but the taking apart which matters.

darganj
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Posts: 350
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:59 pm

Re: Sam Burgess

Post by darganj » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:43 am

[email protected] wrote:Yep, sick of hearing about him.
For any non-rugby following people taking an interest in the RWC it must seem like he is the only player in the squad.
As it stands it is looking like Lancaster is setting up to pick Farrell Jr and Burgess in the centres.
If that's the case I fear that England won't get out of the pool stages.
Whilst Burgess is or was a world class league player he has not performed at that level in any game of union yet.
I doubt any other country would pick a player for a home world cup based on nothing more than potential.
Joseph is guaranteed at 13 and I imagine Mr Barritt will be lining up at 12 as Luther isn't too defensively sound.

How you can think it will be Burgess and Owen in the centres is beyond me. Such SL haters on this forum.

Farrell Jr will sit on the bench covering 10/12 allowing a winger to set as the other backs sub alongside Wigglesworth.

I don't think Sam B will go to the World Cup and if he does it will just be for a smash about against Uruguay.

JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1897
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:45 am

Re: Sam Burgess

Post by JackFlashJonny » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:47 am

Well put darganj couldn't agree anymore...

I would hope that Slade makes it but it seems that Burgess does have a really positive presence on all around...

I personally hope Burrell gets culled he is so below par it is unreal, JJ and Barritt are nailed on for me as you said..

We shall see though..

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ABClub, Azza78, Crofty, dunks43, Google [Bot], RunTigerRun and 2 guests