Still stuck in the mud! - Development updates

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Still stuck in the mud! - Development updates

Post by RagingBull »

I think if I remember rightly you are right Noggs.

Less risk for us, but no real gain outside of actually owning the land which is still pretty big long term.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote=Noggs post_id=743080 time=1591260554 user_id=6751]
[quote=MurphysLaw post_id=742964 time=1591036658 user_id=3365]
[quote=JP14 post_id=742958 time=1591032471 user_id=12219]
As long as it is a good deal for the club, then I’m fine with it.
[/quote]

The financial deal will be between Marshall CPD and Bespoke Hotels - if it follows their previous deals then Bespoke Hotels will be taking a lease with Marshalls as the landlord,( at least initially). I suspect that this was a pre-let, and was the reason Marshalls came to the table in the first place.
I would think that the Club are pretty happy with the type of hotel and their operation - conference spin- off business etc.
[/quote]
I thought Tigers owned the site and Marshalls are the developers and will therefore own the building. Bespoke Hotels are then leasing the building from Marshalls.

It is not clear to me whether or not the club also have a financial interest in the building. Perhaps the club have already clarified this previously and I have missed it but it would be good to know.
[/quote]

I am not sure that the Club has released the details of the JV Agreement with Marshalls, but yes, Tigers input is the site. Not sure whether they have retained an interest, perhaps by way of a ground lease?
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Had a rare post lockdown trip into Leicester last week and drove past the ground.

It was pleasing to see that much of the steelwork for the new hotel has already been erected and that work is progressing well. The commercial gains from this venture are much needed in the task of recovering from the financial impact of Covid 19.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

I was told recently that most if not all of the steel structure is complete and they will no doubt be at the stage of fixing the steel decking and pouring the concrete floor slabs. As this is completed a start can be made on the external cladding and making the flat roof watertight.

It would have been good if the club had positioned a couple of web cams overlooking the site so that anoraks like me could follow progress :smt009
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

I went into the shop today (swapping an optimistically sized purchase), they are currently building the bridge from the hotel into the stadium itself so yes I'd guess the steel work is all done now.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

sk 88 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:09 pm I went into the shop today (swapping an optimistically sized purchase), they are currently building the bridge from the hotel into the stadium itself so yes I'd guess the steel work is all done now.
I find lockdown has caused a lot of items of clothing to shrink... ahem.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

teds wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:27 pm
sk 88 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:09 pm I went into the shop today (swapping an optimistically sized purchase), they are currently building the bridge from the hotel into the stadium itself so yes I'd guess the steel work is all done now.
A well documented and understood side effect of the virus. It's call 'short covid'. :smt003
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Noggs wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:34 am
teds wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:27 pm
A well documented and understood side effect of the virus. It's call 'short covid'. :smt003
Not short bread? :smt003
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Anyone been to the shop or driven past the ground recently? Hows the hotel build doing?

I note the club are now talking about 'parking improvements' on the other side of the ground. Perhaps in the current climate the multi-storey has been shelved for a while.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Interesting that Exeter are also currently building a hotel next to the ground.

https://www.google.com/search?q=exeter+ ... Q-tvYCxr7M

A statement from Rob in the recently published 'EXE MEN' states “We’re not building a hotel to say, ‘We’ve got a hotel.’ It’s there to make us a better club business-wise. Being part of clubs like that is exciting in itself'

The sooner we begin to receive a revenue stream from the hotel the better.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Noggs wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:29 am Interesting that Exeter are also currently building a hotel next to the ground.

A statement from Rob in the recently published 'EXE MEN' states “We’re not building a hotel to say, ‘We’ve got a hotel.’ It’s there to make us a better club business-wise. Being part of clubs like that is exciting in itself'

Always been on the cards given Sandy Park's location (for the uninitiated, about 25m vertically above Junction 30 of the M5 and a short taxi ride from the airport). Local competition on the jaunt to Cornwall isn't great. It has more recently made sense as the area is a major developmental zone with plans for more housing and retail, and is a short train ride from Exeter town centre.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Our hotel should have a very beneficial affect on the conference business at Tigers as well as dinners, weddings, etc.

Leicester has been short of good hotel beds for a long time and whilst we have a few new hotels such as Novotel and Premier Inn they tend to be at the budget end of the market. Our tenants are developing a themed hotel which looks to be a little more upmarket.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

jgriffin wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:17 pm
Noggs wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:29 am Interesting that Exeter are also currently building a hotel next to the ground.

Always been on the cards given Sandy Park's location (for the uninitiated, about 25m vertically above Junction 30 of the M5 and a short taxi ride from the airport). Local competition on the jaunt to Cornwall isn't great. It has more recently made sense as the area is a major developmental zone with plans for more housing and retail, and is a short train ride from Exeter town centre.
We drove past there a couple of times 5 weeks ago whilst holidaying in Dawlish area, there was a lot going on in that general area. I wish they would improve exit from A379 to the M5/A38, its a nightmare towing a caravan around Countess Weir area to get back north, although the road gets progressively better nearer the stadium area.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

LE18 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:26 pm
jgriffin wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:17 pm

We drove past there a couple of times 5 weeks ago whilst holidaying in Dawlish area, there was a lot going on in that general area. I wish they would improve exit from A379 to the M5/A38, its a nightmare towing a caravan around Countess Weir area to get back north, although the road gets progressively better nearer the stadium area.
It is an utter nightmare at rush hour, and trying to get out of the Premier Inn can be fun.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I shall certainly make use of the hotel. Those Sunday night and Friday night games look much more attractive now.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina