Still stuck in the mud! - Development updates

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Noggs
Super User
Super User

Re: Still stuck in the mud! - Development updates

Post by Noggs »

Bill, whatever you care to believe about what I am telling you is a matter for yourself. I was simply trying to help your understanding of the likely situation based on 40+ years of industry experience.

If there was a change of contractor (and I'm not sure just how such detailed contractual facts are known) the 'increase' almost certainly would have been as a consequence of the results of the ground investigations becoming known. If cost increases could not be successfully renegotiated at that point there would probably have been a 'get out' clause allowing both parties to walk away and renegotiations to take place with one or more of the unsuccessful contractors from the original tender.

Without having access to the contract document itself everything that is being said is either hear say or guess work. However, one thing for sure is that there usually are good reasons for most things in life. Let's see how it goes :smt002
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mike »

I think you are getting close Noggs!
mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mike »

Taking a somewhat detached view I do not really see that the delay in the development has been much of a problem . Clearly there have been no shortage of available seats in the Ground and no-one inconvenienced too much .
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

mike wrote:Taking a somewhat detached view I do not really see that the delay in the development has been much of a problem . Clearly there have been no shortage of available seats in the Ground and no-one inconvenienced too much .

My thoughts entirely...

Was surprised to see so many spare seats in the A&L stand on Friday or was that because it was a Friday night game?
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I had a look around the day before the Wasps game and was quite impressed with the goings on, not quite as sparkling as the efforts on the field, but I'm sure it will stand us in good stead going forwards.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Leicester Tigers are working closely with our contractors to get the roof and all of the stand's facilities ready as soon as possible.

:smt006 :smt006 :smt006

Says it all really!
Still keeping the faith!
tigertone
Tiger Cub

Post by tigertone »

All things considered, the new stand seems to be making good progress and it provides more seating than we need at present. Bill W(2), other posters who clearly know what they are talking about have explained to you, almost in words of one syllable, the situation with regard to alleged construction delays but you still keep grumbling about it. You are becoming a bore on the subject. Why don't you stop wittering on about it and just keep the faith?
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

tigertone wrote:All things considered, the new stand seems to be making good progress and it provides more seating than we need at present. Bill W(2), other posters who clearly know what they are talking about have explained to you, almost in words of one syllable, the situation with regard to alleged construction delays but you still keep grumbling about it. You are becoming a bore on the subject. Why don't you stop wittering on about it and just keep the faith?
I am sorry that you find it boring that I observe lack of progress and failure to meet deadlines unacceptable.

I would be very happy for the Club to make a statement that we did not need the extra seating or facilities in the concourse if that is what they believe. But to pretend that the progress being made is even close to "all best endeavours" let alone "everything possible" is just taking the mickey, frankly!

OK you do not care when the roof gets put on. Your view would appear to be shared by the contractiors who did nothing today, or yesterday or the day before to achieve that - despite the fact that "The Club" had promised it for Friday (the Stade Game).

On the field of play and with the players and coaching team I have great Faith!

Off the field of play, in terms of organisation, logistics and management (which includes catering) I am appalled!! I exclude the ticket office and stewards from the above.

The new stand is without doubt a splendid design. And had the Club ab initio declared its intenetion to have it open by Sept 2016 I would not have demured. But they did not. They said it would be open for the start of the Premiership Season 2015. Even now they say everying is being done to have it open "as soon as possible". There is no evidence of this from the webcam.
Still keeping the faith!
dunks43

Post by dunks43 »

OK you do not care when the roof gets put on. Your view would appear to be shared by the contractiors who did nothing today, or yesterday or the day before to achieve that - despite the fact that "The Club" had promised it for Friday (the Stade Game).

Were you on site ? How do you not know that the roof panels are being worked with on ground level ready for installation, how do you know the roof panels are actually on site ?
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Not that I wish to get involved in this in any way and also know absolutly zero about construction (except from my general observation that builders never seen to complete anything when they say they are going to to)but it was a bit windy yesterday to be handling roof panels at height. I certainly would not have been entertaining the idea unless I wanted to end up in East Anglia!
DCATsOLDMAN

Post by DCATsOLDMAN »

mightymouse wrote:Not that I wish to get involved in this in any way and also know absolutly zero about construction (except from my general observation that builders never seen to complete anything when they say they are going to to)but it was a bit windy yesterday to be handling roof panels at height. I certainly would not have been entertaining the idea unless I wanted to end up in East Anglia!
I can vouch for the fact that it was very windy in Leicester yesterday, courtesy of Storm Barney. My house, which is 3 miles from the ground, faces west, and the wind was blowing with considerable, and worrying, force on the front of it.
In addition, the contractors WERE working yesterday. It was just visible on the extreme right of the CAM image. They were working on the steels on what Noggs memorably described as "the pointy bit" of the roof.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

I still don't get the slanting roof, makes the whole stand look weird and awful to me, roof or not.

I would also have thought they could have turfed the in-goal area by now.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

The high winds will most definitely be the reason why we are not currently seeing high crane work to lift and secure the many roof purlins in place prior to lifting and securing the roof sheeting. However, completion of the stadium roof is unlikely to be on the 'critical path' to overall completion so delays due to poor weather should not have undue knock on effects.

If you look at any construction programme it is complex document with numerous activities running concurrent and/or overlapping as necessary to produce the end building in as short a time as possible. However, it is inevitable that problems and issues will arise during the execution of the programme (such as unforeseen ground conditions or exceptional weather) which in turn result in constant adjustments to the original build programme. This is not 'failure' or the fault of the management of the club, it is simply a fact of life.

In addition to very regular on site inspections by the architects; structural engineers; etc. there will be regular formal site meetings where problems are resolved and decisions taken. Managing the complexities of any build is a difficult task and this one is made a lot more difficult by the restricted access and lack of on site storage space together with the need for periodic interruptions to allow for clearance of the in goal area and for public access for home games.
grobyman

Post by grobyman »

http://www.leicestertigers.com/news/316 ... kxHYnrfWrU

This was the original 2008 plan, suppose working toward this when funds available, hopefully the crumbly park bench stand is next :smt002 . The structure of the new stand at the Crumbie end looks readying to sweep around the corner to join up.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

G.K wrote:I still don't get the slanting roof, makes the whole stand look weird and awful to me, roof or not.

I would also have thought they could have turfed the in-goal area by now.

The slanting roof is necessary because the end of the pitch runs at and angle to the road with a consequential reduction in the depth of space available for seating. This design maximises the use of the space available.

The in goal area my well already be grassed but this has had sand laid over the top as it has to be 'shared' with the construction team to allow front access to the site. After each game some form of sheeting is laid over the area to enable the heavy cranes and other plant to make use of the space and for lorries to park whilst materials such as the structural steelwork and pre-cast concrete seat staging are offloaded and craned into position. Only when such access is no longer required will any attempts be made to restore this area to grass and considering the time of year this may be delayed until the end of the season