As we suspected, you can smell it from here....

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: As we suspected, you can smell it from here....

Post by chipnchase »

Yes because club officials would openly tell supporters they are bunging players extra cash off the books???
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Lest we forget even in the amateur days there were "expenses" be that envelopes full of cash or jobs with a friendly employer.
darganj
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by darganj »

If Bath and Sarries are overpaying a bit and I get to watch Louw and Burger play in the Prem then I'm happy.

Both teams have some real quality that is great to watch.

The cap is inherently flawed, very hard to place a value on a lot of the benefits that an overseas player receives. How can you put a value on being allowed more time off to visit home? Can you put a value on Saracens finding a certain English forward's best friend a job in the Sarries marketing department when they were struggling to find a job?

All clubs will be in the grey area, its just Sarries and Bath are run by businessmen so know how far they can go!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

[quote="darganj"]If Bath and Sarries are overpaying a bit and I get to watch Louw and Burger play in the Prem then I'm happy./quote]

Really??? are you South African?
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Once the cap goes, as it may well do in the next two years, pro rugby will splinter into a few franchises or rich man playthings (Bath, Sarries, Wasps, Bris) plus the profit-makers. Give it a couple of more years and you end up with a 8-team superleague or a pan-European league.
I don't mind to some extent as long as it leaves the vast pyramid of English rugby funded and alive; I only really care what happens to Tigers.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

sapajo wrote:
darganj wrote:If Bath and Sarries are overpaying a bit and I get to watch Louw and Burger play in the Prem then I'm happy./quote]

Really??? are you South African?
Or, indeed, Namibian.

It's quite a narrow view from darganj; surely watching competitive matches every week is more important than watching the haves constantly, and predictably, beating the have-nots.

That some teams haven't got the turnover to sustain a high wage bill through geographical or cultural quirks, or financial luck, shouldn't prevent them from playing in a competitive league.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

darganj wrote:If Bath and Sarries are overpaying a bit and I get to watch Louw and Burger play in the Prem then I'm happy.

The cap is inherently flawed, very hard to place a value on a lot of the benefits that an overseas player receives. How can you put a value on being allowed more time off to visit home? Can you put a value on Saracens finding a certain English forward's best friend a job in the Sarries marketing department when they were struggling to find a job?

All clubs will be in the grey area, its just Sarries and Bath are run by businessmen so know how far they can go!
What a thoroughly depressing post on so many levels.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Iain wrote:
darganj wrote:If Bath and Sarries are overpaying a bit and I get to watch Louw and Burger play in the Prem then I'm happy.

It would be if there was any accuracy or comprehension in there.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Just thought i'd keep this thread alive so it keeps its rightful place towards the top of this forum.
The paying supporters will not allow a whitewash on this issue!!!!
My two pennerth, as an increasingly angry season ticket holder, for what it's worth.
:smt013 :smt022 :smt022
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Great attitude to keep this to the fore, but it is abundantly clear that this issue has been kicked into the swamp. As the premiership clubs voted for this the reality is that supporters views are of no concern. All that matters to any business is that the revenue continues to increasingly keep rolling in.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
darganj
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by darganj »

h's dad wrote:
Iain wrote:

It would be if there was any accuracy or comprehension in there.
No accuracy or comprehension?

It is a fact that Saracens found a current England second row's best mate a job in their marketing department. However, he ignored all their advances and resigned with his current club.

How do you put a value on that? Also, how can you put a value on the hypothetical situation of Bruce Craig going to into a clothing business with Sam Burgess?

Surely the value of the business is irrelevant to the cap if all of the money is kept in the company and only extracted in his 40s?

The cap is so so so flawed. Any decent financier could think of 100s of ways round it.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

darganj wrote:It is a fact that Saracens found a current England second row's best mate a job in their marketing department. However, he ignored all their advances and resigned with his current club.

How do you put a value on that? Also, how can you put a value on the hypothetical situation of Bruce Craig going to into a clothing business with Sam Burgess?

Surely the value of the business is irrelevant to the cap if all of the money is kept in the company and only extracted in his 40s?

The cap is so so so flawed. Any decent financier could think of 100s of ways round it.
darganj, every situation you have cited, genuine and hypothetical, is clearly and effectively dealt in the salary cap regulations in a number of ways, both specifically and, as a catch-all, if the SCM is not happy with the numbers declared to him, the substituting of his own assessment of a players worth for whatever has been declared. No proof required, simply, "I am suspicious of the accuracy of this number so I am changing it." Please read the regulations, it should help clarify how the system works.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game