Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

The two faces of Warren Gatland ?

Post by tigercaspian »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/33272549

Am I mistaken , or when it suits him it's OK , but when it doesn't it's not ??
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: The two faces of Warren Gatland ?

Post by jgriffin »

tigercaspian wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/33272549

Am I mistaken , or when it suits him it's OK , but when it doesn't it's not ??
Has always been a pile of rubbish merely aimed at blackmailing players.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Well that was as clear as mud.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

Just to confirm, he's claiming that Dragons own Faletau and he is theirs to sell on as they please. He has no say in the matter - he is bound to his new owners.

Isn't that slavery....?
welshy08

Post by welshy08 »

Another non hysterical and well thought out thread on the Leicester tigers forum.
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

I was hoping someone would clarify or interpret for me what Gatland's policy actually is, hence the ?? in my original post.
It seems to me that he is happy to pick some players who don't play for a Welsh club but then tells others he won't pick them if they go & play 'abroad', that's the bit I don't understand.
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

welshy08 wrote:Another non hysterical and well thought out thread on the Leicester tigers forum.
Why bother reading said forum if you believe the postings to be such? Or is it because someone has said something that is anti Gatland and by that Anti Welsh?
There is never any points for 2nd place...
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

tigercaspian wrote:I was hoping someone would clarify or interpret for me what Gatland's policy actually is, hence the ?? in my original post.
It seems to me that he is happy to pick some players who don't play for a Welsh club but then tells others he won't pick them if they go & play 'abroad', that's the bit I don't understand.
A recent clarification of Gatland's Law suggests that he can pretty much pick anyone he wants whenever he wants, but that the WRU need some kind of a stick to scare players into staying in Wales.

It's absolutely full of loopholes. This Faletau one simply being the latest.

At least it's pragmatic. Wales have too small a player base to rule out all players based outside Wales, and can't possibly compete with the French/English clubs when it comes to retaining talent. But a complete open-door policy would increase an already dangerous player drain and leave the regions denuded, making it harder to hold on to the next tier of players.

This is a grey middle-ground that leaves a lot of room for manoeuvre between the two positions.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

It pains me to point out that there is a shred of pragmatism about the Faletau situation, in that Bath is only a short trip over the border so distance wouldn't be a barrier to his availability.

Contract details might be though.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I always thought the main "beef" was that players outside of Wales were not always available i.e. extra internationals outside the agreed window( a certain George North/ Sinners was fined was/were, he/they not?). If a player wanted to work elsewhere and had a clause for release for international duty, then Gatland could be open to litigation if he refused to consider a player and trying to force a guy to work only in Wales.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
youngtiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by youngtiger »

loretta wrote:It pains me to point out that there is a shred of pragmatism about the Faletau situation, in that Bath is only a short trip over the border so distance wouldn't be a barrier to his availability.

Contract details might be though.
According to the end of that article, Bath will be offering to break the rules, same as Northampton did before, and Quins this coming season with Roberts, apparently. So there won't be a barrier to his availability in his contract details. Clearly the Saints fine hasn't dissuaded other clubs from following suit...
Alatoruk

Post by Alatoruk »

I liked the bit where he justified not sticking to the 'wales only' policy by saying that the policy hadnt thought about players being bought out of contracts, so it wasnt Toby's choice to go abroad, so Toby hadnt broken the policy himself, so could still be picked.

otherwise called the 'I'll pick who I damn well like' policy.

:smt017
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

tigerburnie wrote:I always thought the main "beef" was that players outside of Wales were not always available i.e. extra internationals outside the agreed window( a certain George North/ Sinners was fined was/were, he/they not?). If a player wanted to work elsewhere and had a clause for release for international duty, then Gatland could be open to litigation if he refused to consider a player and trying to force a guy to work only in Wales.
No, he couldn't.
Red Boots

Post by Red Boots »

Are transfer fees included in the salary cap?
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

As reported elsewhere on the forum, the "buyout" figure should be included, but I suspect there is a loophole somewhere! (The inclusion of benefit year "earnings" also used to come into it, which was what deterred us from signing Ben Cohen in his benefit year).
Valhalla I am coming!