Mele going to Toulouse

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Billb
Top Cat
Top Cat

Mele going to Toulouse

Post by Billb »

The move of Mele to Toulouse for next season was announced by Tigers on Radio Leicester today (with a comment that Tigers had signed a southern hemisphere scrum half)

What has happened here? Mele has been ignored for the second half of the season, (Harrison suddenly became the shining light after being a poor A team player last year), so I'm not surprised that he's decided on leaving, but why was his fall from grace so profound?

I wish him all the best teaming up with Toby Flood again, and expect to see him in Les Blues very soon. But have to ask the question how long will it be before Williams is the next to leave?
BillB
Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Mele going to Toulouse

Post by Doghashadhisday »

Do you actually watch any games? Sam has played really well and is quite rightly second to BY. There is no falling out and it is getting tedious people implying something is going on at Tigers
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

The couple of times this season I've seen Mele come on he's been pretty poor. Whilst Harrison has looked really good. Harrison is a local lad to boot. All seems sound to me. But then I've never been a big Mele fan.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Harrison struggle with injuries previously (not often but always at the wrong time it seemed).

BUT he has been one of our best players this season.
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

I thought Mele started really well when he came here and got some game time but then his form dipped.....
Harrison has been great to watch, quick distribution and you can see he thinks about what's going on. A good backs coach might get even more out of him - have we got one coming??
Good luck & thanks to DM though.
Frankers
Tiger Cub

Post by Frankers »

Dave was great last season but poor this season, so Cockers put him on the naughty step that Waldrom had vacated.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

ourla wrote:The couple of times this season I've seen Mele come on he's been pretty poor. Whilst Harrison has looked really good. Harrison is a local lad to boot. All seems sound to me. But then I've never been a big Mele fan.
The red card at Bath didn't help either.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

[quote="Billb"]The move of Mele to Toulouse for next season was announced by Tigers on Radio Leicester today (with a comment that Tigers had signed a southern hemisphere scrum half)

Bill I have to agree with Dogshaghisday - If you were a season ticket holder and regularly attended games but better still looked at the News part of the website & message board then the news on Mele to Toulouse is at least 2 weeks old and on the Rumours/Contracts/Signings Part4 plus there is a link to the rugbyforum.com transfers section.
Mele was good in parts kicked the points in Melrose when Burns went off but had a bad game at home & was on the step.
youngtiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by youngtiger »

Is this a wind up? Mele seems like a good bloke but nowhere near international. The bit that really confuses me is why you think Williams is about to leave, given that he re-signed this season..
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

Mele is the 3rd choice scrum half. Hardly a surprise or problem he is leaving. Or should no one leave the Tigers, ever?
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Had Sam not been injured he would have bumped Mele down the pecking order before this season and may well put pressure on Youngs.

Leicester is a long way from home to be 3rd choice scrum half.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

I can't remember which game it was but there was a game in the new year where Mele was bad. Like comically bad, for an entire half of rugby. It was like car crash viewing.

Cockerill made a comment afterwards about some players not being first team players based on their performances and Dave was promptly dropped. His form just seemed to fall off a cliff and Harrison was above him on merit.
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

Iain wrote:I can't remember which game it was but there was a game in the new year where Mele was bad. Like comically bad, for an entire half of rugby. It was like car crash viewing.

Cockerill made a comment afterwards about some players not being first team players based on their performances and Dave was promptly dropped. His form just seemed to fall off a cliff and Harrison was above him on merit.
Early in each New Year is when clubs/players discuss contracts, isn't it? A good time to engineer a new contract or to ease yourself out of one which no longer suits.
AlphaWiseOwl

Post by AlphaWiseOwl »

I think Harrison is a far better player than Mele. His passing from the base of the scrum is great and the momentum increase when he comes on. He gets the ball out quickly, no step first, and into the hands of those attacking the gain line. Some decent "go-forward" is usually achieved and it is like a breath of fresh air when he comes on. A valuable impact player from the bench, a loyal Tiger (so far), a local lad and a worthy No 2 to BY.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I feel sorry for David Melee and wish him all the best at his new club Toulouse. When he arrived at Tigers it coincided with our new wonder boy Ben Youngs hitting top form and David rarely got a look in. However he is still a talented individual and wouldn't be surprised to see him gain more French caps at his new club.