And there she was gone....

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Noggs
Super User
Super User

And there she was gone....

Post by Noggs »

For those not following progress on the cctv the club house is no more. Looking forward to seeing what they build in its place :smt023
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Iain
Super User
Super User

Re: And there she was gone....

Post by Iain »

In many ways it's the end of an era. In the amateur times, the Clubhouse was the lifeblood of the club. It's where fans, players and officials mingled for a drink. It was where the offices and shop were. It was the visible part of the ground that identified it as Welford Road Stadium.

Times move on and its purpose has passed, but it still grates on me that they are naming the executive lounge within the new stand "The Clubhouse". An exclusive executive suite that is out of the financial reach for most of us is everything that a clubhouse isn't.

It probably speaks volumes of the shifting attitudes towards the traditions of the game that I tend to be a minority voice on this issue and most others don't see it as important. Or perhaps it isn't really important and I need to shut up.
Bundy

Post by Bundy »

I am going to miss going in the Captain's Bar :smt010
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Iain wrote:In many ways it's the end of an era. In the amateur times, the Clubhouse was the lifeblood of the club. It's where fans, players and officials mingled for a drink. It was where the offices and shop were. It was the visible part of the ground that identified it as Welford Road Stadium.

Times move on and its purpose has passed, but it still grates on me that they are naming the executive lounge within the new stand "The Clubhouse". An exclusive executive suite that is out of the financial reach for most of us is everything that a clubhouse isn't.

It probably speaks volumes of the shifting attitudes towards the traditions of the game that I tend to be a minority voice on this issue and most others don't see it as important. Or perhaps it isn't really important and I need to shut up.
For what it is worth I agree with you Iain. I doubt that "The Clubhouse" as a name gave a premium on pricing. Could they not have named it after a sponsor (in exchange for ££££)
Still keeping the faith!
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Bill W (2) wrote:
Iain wrote:In many ways it's the end of an era. In the amateur times, the Clubhouse was the lifeblood of the club. It's where fans, players and officials mingled for a drink. It was where the offices and shop were. It was the visible part of the ground that identified it as Welford Road Stadium.

For what it is worth I agree with you Iain. I doubt that "The Clubhouse" as a name gave a premium on pricing. Could they not have named it after a sponsor (in exchange for ££££)
No Iain you are completely right..It is one of the blights of our game that those with money have the luxury of these things but to rub it in our face calling this a clubhouse is too far..It is why the atmosphere at Twickenham will never compare to that at the Millennium stadium because all the champagne out the back of the ranger rover brigade take over..
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Just because times change we shouldn't forget what made change possible, the 'traditions' are the bedrock of the next generation and should be treated with respect. A VIP suite called the 'Clubhouse' is IMHO 100% pi55take.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

I have no particular problem with there being a hospitality lounge. This is a much needed lucrative source of revenue. I'm sure it would be interesting to be in as a one off but frankly, give me a seat in the stands any day. Fair play to anyone who can afford it.

I just object to it being called "The Clubhouse".
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Iain wrote:I have no particular problem with there being a hospitality lounge. This is a much needed lucrative source of revenue. I'm sure it would be interesting to be in as a one off but frankly, give me a seat in the stands any day. Fair play to anyone who can afford it.

I just object to it being called "The Clubhouse".
I had this opportunity when Toulouse beat us at the Walkers..I even got to sit next to Rory Underwood but was too scared to speak to him and he was so peeved off after we got beaten I didn't dare at the end either.. :smt010

..If I am honest it was the antithesis of all I love about Leicester Tigers..

But yes it is much needed revenue I will concede that, but when the second half starts and you see that middle area of the Caterpillar stand is empty I always wonder..
Sajerj
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Sajerj »

Its called The Clubhouse Stand is it not ? Within the Clubhouse Stand is the Clubhouse lounge. All a respectable nod to the past history of the site.

3000 people people can sit in it anywhere from 280 pound a season to a 1250 pound a season.

No idea what the complaints are about.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Sajerj wrote:Its called The Clubhouse Stand is it not ? Within the Clubhouse Stand is the Clubhouse lounge. All a respectable nod to the past history of the site.

3000 people people can sit in it anywhere from 280 pound a season to a 1250 pound a season.

No idea what the complaints are about.
The Members Stand, The Crumbie Stand and the Mound are no longer so named. The Club sold the names to sponsors.

Similarly the ABC Lounge was sold off to a sponsor.

The Try Line Club has not thus far been sponsored. Why?

I am all for maximising (sponsorship) revenue. And when "The Clubhouse Stand" is renamed the "Bloggsit Stand" I will applaud.

Abd (like I do will the Members and Crumbie) continue to refer to it as The Clubhouse.
Still keeping the faith!
Farmboy

Post by Farmboy »

The club can't do right for doing wrong.
Moaned about when change of names for no respect to it's history.
Moaned about when keeps a name to repect history.
Just can't win.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I think what Iain and I are getting at is that it will be neither a clubhouse nor The Clubhouse. The Clubhouse has gone, and the replacement isn't a clubhouse in any normal rugby sense of the word. An elite suite is not a clubhouse.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
Farmboy

Post by Farmboy »

But we have to accept that LFC isn't a "normal" rugby club, it's a professional sports team. I'm sure if the club had renamed some would be on here moaning. The club are trying to do what is best for LFC & not doing too bad a job all things considered.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Farmboy wrote:But we have to accept that LFC isn't a "normal" rugby club, it's a professional sports team. I'm sure if the club had renamed some would be on here moaning. The club are trying to do what is best for LFC & not doing too bad a job all things considered.
That's not quite what I'm saying, for some reason you introduce 'the club (is) trying to do what is best for LFC' - that didn't enter into it. It just isn't a clubhouse nor The Clubhouse, unless it was open to all. All the clubs are up to it, Exeter did it a few years ago; don't know who has an open policy anymore, save Stains maybe and Wuss.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

Iian i'm with you and I think Farmboys comments pretty much sum up the 'modern' rugby fan.

History and tradition are what made the club great, rugby wasn't a 'pro' sport for the majority of its life and half the people sat in the stadium these days wouldn't be there if they didn't declare the game open.

Its a whole different debate as to whether the game should have turned professional but to just flippantly discard the DNA of the club as outdated and time to move on is quite frankly sickening.

The club wouldnt be in the position it is now if it wasnt for the hardwork of those involved in the 100 years before pro rugby and we would have gone the way of West Hartlepool or Waterloo if it wasnt for the vision of those who stewarded the club for many a year, unpaid I might add.

There isn't a 'club house' to speak of now, sadly too many on here think that the rugby clubhouse environment is a case of donning a replica shirt, pouring cheap ale down your neck and being blasted by a band all night.

The Welford Road day out now is wall to wall gimmicks covered in corporate branding. A very sad image of those of us who were born into the club and the real Tigers family.