Wynand Olivier

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Wynand Olivier

Post by tigercaspian »

Wine and Olivier?? Did Noël Coward write that one??
Coat.....go......
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Dog if you are refering to me with your comment I am a long time Tigers supporter, unfortuately I dont know much about SA rugby or about him and simply asked for the more knowledgeable on this forum to tell me about him, as he did not show at all in the Baa Baas game, you clearly are not one of them!
Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Doghashadhisday »

LE18 wrote:Dog if you are refering to me with your comment I am a long time Tigers supporter, unfortuately I dont know much about SA rugby or about him and simply asked for the more knowledgeable on this forum to tell me about him, as he did not show at all in the Baa Baas game, you clearly are not one of them!
Thanks for the insult but I was not referring to your comment asking for more information which is fine.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

I see he's not only played against us for Montpelier either - he was at 12 for South Africa when they played Tigers in 2009 at Welford Road...

...So what? Well, coincidence would have it, at 12 that night for the Tigers was a young tyro called Manu Tuilagi, making his first team debut, making Olivier his first opposite number in senior first team rugby!
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

LE18 wrote:Does he have form, because in Baas match form he was invisable, Baas only scored 1 try and gave away 11, so can he attack or defend? Seems a very strange signing to me! :smt017
Barbarians matches are somewhat different. Seem to remember the Tigers as champions being beaten by the Baa Baas and conceding more than 80 points! Nobody suggested the likes of Corry, Moody, Ellis etc were useless because of it!
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I ask again because i only heard his name mentioned once, usually in Baas matches the ball moves through so many hands, names get mentioned often. I thought he had been taken off, or injured very early? Anyway i am not forming an opinion, on this game, only asking!
physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by physiodan »

fortysix wrote:Spectacularly nondescript.

What on earth are we signing this journeyman for ??????
How do you class this guy as a "Journey Man"?

He played for the Blue Bull and the Bull from 2003 and 2005 respectively until leaving in 2013 earning 180 caps (72+110). He had a 9 game sabbatical in 2012 for the Black Rams (and why wouldn't you if you could) and has since played for Montpellier earning +40 caps.

He is also a seasoned international veteran with 38 SA Caps which are not easy to come by at centre.

Now it does state he has played for the Rebels and the Roosters but I cannot find any info for this being true.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

physiodan wrote:
fortysix wrote:Spectacularly nondescript.

What on earth are we signing this journeyman for ??????
How do you class this guy as a "Journey Man"?

He played for the Blue Bull and the Bull from 2003 and 2005 respectively until leaving in 2013 earning 180 caps (72+110). He had a 9 game sabbatical in 2012 for the Black Rams (and why wouldn't you if you could) and has since played for Montpellier earning +40 caps.

He is also a seasoned international veteran with 38 SA Caps which are not easy to come by at centre.

Now it does state he has played for the Rebels and the Roosters but I cannot find any info for this being true.
It's not. He didn't. Montpellier's other recent South African centre, JP Du Plessis, played for the Roosters and Rebels.
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

Decent bit of business stopping us being put in the "Stephen Donald" situation of paying top dollar for a not quite top rate player.

Decent, experienced cover to fill in for a year in which we can hopefully pick up one of our choice targets.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

There seems growing suggestion that Allen may be forced to retire? Where are these coming from?
Since neither Olivier or Tait re-signing would class as the second marquee spot, is it viable that Olivier is Allen's replacement if he is indeed retiring, and the marquee centre is still to be announced?

Personally, if Allen doesn't pack in, and Olivier and Tait are the respective 12 & 15 we were looking to reruit (or retain), then I think it's still a tidy bit of business. Olivier will be a steady pair of hands for 12 months, experienced international, and Tait has been pretty good this year. If none of out intended targets are available, then this for 12 months and then review, works for me.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

All we seem to now mostly attract are stopgaps, fill ins, past it has beens and championship possibles.. excluding Betham from this ...

Am I being OTT or harsh?? Simple answer, no I am not.............!!!

For crikeys sake, happy clappers, we have been on a downward spiral for quite a time now, all are basing their faith and trust on poor Aaron Mauger to suddenly re-invent the Tigers wheel.

How come Wellsy and Deano, two totally committed forward orientated coaches managed to sign some real fliers no one had ever heard of
?????????

A couple of their backs signings with our front five and last season could have been more productive.

If Olivier is any good now, why on earth is Jake White happy to get rid ?????
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

fortysix wrote:All we seem to now mostly attract are stopgaps, fill ins, past it has beens and championship possibles.. excluding Betham from this ...

For crikeys sake, happy clappers, we have been on a downward spiral for quite a time now, all are basing their faith and trust on poor Aaron Mauger to suddenly re-invent the Tigers wheel.

How come Wellsy and Deano, two totally committed forward orientated coaches managed to sign some real fliers no one had ever heard of
?????????

A couple of their backs signings with our front five and last season could have been more productive.

You've become a parody of yourself. You need to try a new angle for your wind ups.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

fortysix wrote:All we seem to now mostly attract are stopgaps, fill ins, past it has beens and championship possibles.. excluding Betham from this ...

?????????

Although dressed up slightly differently, to me this is the same old thing that has been raised dozens of times on dozens of threads (not just by fortysix) and replied to by people with differing views, not all(any?) happy clappers.

You obviously hold these views very strongly, fair enough, but it does not seem to have changed anyone else's view. Do we have to keep going over the same points when nothing has changed since this was last raised? Once the new season has started and we start to see how things go under AM, fair enough, but that is 4-5 months away. Please can we let this rest until then?
Bod

Post by Bod »

According to BBC sport today, he is about to sign for Worcester. So much for reinforcing the centres........ :smt017 :smt017
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

On a two year deal. We only wanted him for a season. I'm not fussed by him taking the Worcester offer he was only going to be a solid option for us before we targeted whomever we have our eye on next season.