Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: Manu Tuilagi to Saracens!

Post by jgriffin »

kornboy130 wrote:
fortysix wrote:His ability in attack is enormous.
Better than anyone including Bastereaud.

His defence is the total opposite, and only a guarantee like Allen or Barritt will in part cover up his lethal shortcomings.

Tuilagi Goneva and Benjamin all together.. erm......
I really find this a bizarre post - Miles and Niki are indeed questionable in defence - but Manu? he runs a perfectly servicable in to our drift when the ball is placed wide and an evidently planned out to in when the ball looks like being shipped through the 13 channel.

Honestly to say his defence has "lethal shortcomings" makes it beggar's belief the guy is probably England's best back and is a test capped Lion.
Do you ever want to weep about some of the comments on here? When will some on here stop rubbishing nearly every Tigers player?
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Doghashadhisday »

jgriffin wrote:[

Do you ever want to weep about some of the comments on here? When will some on here stop rubbishing nearly every Tigers player?
In answer to your question JG didnt you see the pink pigs flying past your window!
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

It's easy to post on here about perceived shortcomings but, in Rugby World, Henry Slade has just described Manu Tuilagi as his toughest opponent.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
APJones
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by APJones »

Here is one thing I like about Manus playing. At least when he gets the ball he starts charging like a rampant bull towards the oppositions try line. Too many of of our other backs think that they are crabs and go sideways until they are clobbered.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/apjones/collections/72157604067869830/
JOIN the Leicester Tigers Rugby photo group on Flickr LINK ABOVE
APJos and pit15
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

With a name like Tigerlad I suppose you are of the same generation as Manu thus excuses for your hero worshipping. Talent is no good if it's not exploited and Manu for the last 2 years has rested on his former Laurels. It's ok to try and continually break the gain line but if the opposition suss you out like many did of Manu, then you have to introduce something new to your game i.e. such as the quick offload and Manu was always poor at offloading the ball at crucial moments.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Wouldn't say rested on his laurels more like rested on the injury table.
snoopster

Post by snoopster »

Noddy555 wrote:With a name like Tigerlad I suppose you are of the same generation as Manu thus excuses for your hero worshipping. Talent is no good if it's not exploited and Manu for the last 2 years has rested on his former Laurels. It's ok to try and continually break the gain line but if the opposition suss you out like many did of Manu, then you have to introduce something new to your game i.e. such as the quick offload and Manu was always poor at offloading the ball at crucial moments.

That is unnecessarily patronising to someone just because they disagree with you.
Tuilagi has struggled to get a run of games when he has been a full fitness, and more often than not he's been playing in sides who have a plan A of "pass it to Tuilagi" which is based on him getting the ball and running straight then recycle quickly.
When he was able to get a string of games together, last season, he and Goneva seemed to be building a really good understanding together with some nice interplay by both of them.
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

Having read some of the trap being written on here, if I was Manu and I saw what some 'fans' were saying about me..... i'd leave.

He's come through the academy, never even mentioned leaving the club, won us games that we've had no right to get a result from and yet some people on here are discarding him as disposable problem.

Shame :smt018
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

chipnchase wrote:Having read some of the trap being written on here, if I was Manu and I saw what some 'fans' were saying about me..... i'd leave.

He's come through the academy, never even mentioned leaving the club, won us games that we've had no right to get a result from and yet some people on here are discarding him as disposable problem.

Shame :smt018
Completely agree (but I guess you meant tripe ;) ). He is our best back by miles. I am pretty sure he won't leave (as well as hope).
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

Noddy555 wrote:With a name like Tigerlad I suppose you are of the same generation as Manu thus excuses for your hero worshipping. Talent is no good if it's not exploited and Manu for the last 2 years has rested on his former Laurels. It's ok to try and continually break the gain line but if the opposition suss you out like many did of Manu, then you have to introduce something new to your game i.e. such as the quick offload and Manu was always poor at offloading the ball at crucial moments.
You suppose wrong. Although I suppose that is excusable. :smt006
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

I think we saw a glimpse of what Manu is capable of when he was paired with O'Driscoll for the Lions, it looked a devastating combination.

I'm hopeful that when restored to full fitness and under Mauger's stewardship we will see his fill potential.
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

Fairly sure that I say a few offloads when he played for the Lions, including one that lead to a try. People seem to be falling into the 'he's big so can't pass' trap, not dissimilar to the 'Young's can't throw' or ' Eastmond is too small to defend' Preconcieved opinions
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

I think the issue is the "plan A" style of rugby Manu has been asked to play with both Tigers and England. As drc has observed, when paired with a talent like BOD, Manu's game can flower. I hope Mauger brings with him some Miracle-gro and a watering can!
Valhalla I am coming!
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Manu has everything a modern centre requires; speed, size, good running lines, the ability to break the gain line and yes even good hands.

The only thing he lacks is consistent game time. He needs to get fully fit and he will be like a new player for us next season - possibly playing at 12 which was alluded to by Simon Cohen on Radio Leicester last week. I think that depends on whether we manage to sing a marquee centre and if so their preferred position.

AA's fitness will also be a consideration, I understand that his injury is potentially career ending, the next few weeks will determine yes or no. (Source; bloke in pub that knows him).
Soggypitch
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Manu is one of the most talented players of his generation. If Mauger cannot bring the best out of him in the coming season I for one will be very disappointed.

Just want him to get fit; learn from his recent mistakes; put them behind him and move on to having a successful and great future in our game :smt023
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!