Hartley AGAIN

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Hartley AGAIN

Post by chipnchase »

So there is no doubt contact was made with the head and was instigated by Hartley. There is also no doubt that he was not provoked by George prior to the incident.

The recommendations are:

10.4(a) Striking with head

Lower End - 4 weeks (or games due to the end of the season) unlikely with previous record, maybe likely with a guilty plea. Would keep him out of all three warm up games and first world cup match against Fiji if decided on games or 12th September (week before World Cup) if ban begins from first warm up game.

Mid Range - 10 weeks (or games depending on the start date of the ban, probably to be first warm up game) most likely due to previous record. Ban likely to start on the 15th August and end on 24th October, one week before world cup final and ruling him out of the tournament.

Top End - 16+ Weeks, Due to the force of the headbutt and no lasting injuries plus not causing enough media outcry to verge on a bringing the game into disrepute, would also likely involve an appeal. This would see Hartley banned if starting from last Saturday 30th August (still in time for the world cup and a couple of warm up games) or if from first warm up game would be the 21st November at least.

In all cases it would be very hard to start the ban from the incident date as the league season has effectively finished and as in previous years would need to commence from the clubs first pre season game or the players next likely appearance.

His best hope is to plead not guilty and have a good QC by his side. ny admission of guilt with his previous record would not reduce any ban length significantly and will almost certainly see him out of the world cup.
SPIKE@srufc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by SPIKE@srufc »

A few things.
If found guilty and Lancaster does not drop him then as fair as I'm concerned Lancaster should be removed from his role. You can not have double standards in the international squad.
Any ban is for games for this as fair as my understanding of the sanctions go.
However, the cynic in me doubts there will be a case to answer as Sam Burgess doesn't play hooker.
SPIKE

It's not the winning or losing but the taking apart which matters.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

[quote]However, the cynic in me doubts there will be a case to answer as Sam Burgess doesn't play hooker./quote]

:smt044 :smt044 :smt044
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Damn.

As a Scot, I was hoping this would happen DURING the world cup.
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

fentiger wrote:However, the cynic in me doubts there will be a case to answer as Sam Burgess doesn't play hooker.
YET!!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

I'm torn as to whether it will be brushed under the carpet or if this will finally be the end of Dylan Hartley. I am also torn as to what I want to happen.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

ourla wrote:I'm torn as to whether it will be brushed under the carpet or if this will finally be the end of Dylan Hartley. I am also torn as to what I want to happen.
I do not have that problem, for Hartley it's yet another judgement day of his making and I hope he will no longer continue to avoid any sanction from England. Lancaster must demonstrate that he acts equitably both on and off the pitch.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

sapajo wrote:
ourla wrote:I'm torn as to whether it will be brushed under the carpet or if this will finally be the end of Dylan Hartley. I am also torn as to what I want to happen.
I do not have that problem, for Hartley it's yet another judgement day of his making and I hope he will no longer continue to avoid any sanction from England. Lancaster must demonstrate that he acts equitably both on and off the pitch.
IMHO the disciplinary panel should force Lancaster's hand by imposing a lengthy ban.
Still keeping the faith!
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Bill W (2) wrote:
sapajo wrote:
IMHO the disciplinary panel should force Lancaster's hand by imposing a lengthy ban.
There actually is a difference between what happens on the pitch and what happens off it. With the high moral ground to indiscretions on the pitch taken by many on here, it's a good job Johno, Backy and many more ex Tigers are not still playing, otherwise they would never be on the pitch!!

Yes Hartley's record is bad, yes I would pick OTY ahead of him every time, but if he gets banned and potentially misses a world cup for such a minor incident that would be ridiculous IMO.

Perhaps as so many on here don't seem to like the physicality of rugby and the personal battles that have traditionally always been part of the game (eg hooker v hooker),they should start watching non contact sports such as net ball or perhaps even football (virtually non contact these days)!!

What would RC say if one of our players were convicted of an incident like the one Hartley is accused of? "The game's gone soft", and he would be right.
Soggypitch
Maidman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Maidman »

I agree with Soggypitch. I too would pick OTY ahead of Hartley, and whilst he clearly shouldn't have done what he did I don't think the hysteria is justified. I hope he doesn't miss the RWC.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Don't you just love the as long as its macho apologists :smt023
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

I don't think there is "hysteria" more I kind of resigned despair at the stupidity of the man. It wasn't a "big" incident but therein lies the idiocy of his actions. It was petty and at the same time petulant. What are the authorities expected to do? If as people say it is "normal" behaviour please let us have some recent clips of people doing the same.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

I would add that Hartley was not competing for the ball, or even trying to prevent his opponent from competing for the ball. Nor was he trying to get himself, or prevent his opponent getting to the ball

The ball was out of play.

In other words it was just a cheap shot!
Still keeping the faith!
RugbyTiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Hartley ???

Post by RugbyTiger »

Any news yet on the disciplinary hearing today about the Saints number one thug ????
Carole

A REAL RUGBY TIGER IN MORE WAYS THAN ONE !!

ALSO KNOWN AS DORCAS - PART OF THE MOTHERS GANG SO WATCH OUT LADS !!
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Re: Hartley ???

Post by Bill W (2) »

RugbyTiger wrote:Any news yet on the disciplinary hearing today about the Saints number one thug ????

Doubt if the port has passed round once yet!!!
Still keeping the faith!