Tigers absolutely rubbish

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers absolutely rubbish

Post by sapajo »

Tigerbeat wrote:Not having players available on a regular basis has compounded the problems of scoring tries. Allen, Manu, Benjamin, Loamanu, Bai, Scully, Morris's, Thompstone have hardly been available. Given game time together I am sure that they would have gained a better awareness of lines and channels to run down.
Bath have had a very settled back line and they have been dangerous all season.
The forwards have been good all season.
As for rubbish, finishing third given all the things that have been thrown at us, it has been a good season. Problems or not, the table shows we won 15 out of 22 games.....
We are an unbalanced team with excellent forwards and pants backs. All the new signings bar Betham, are forwards. We must sign some world class backs otherwise I fear even with Mauger it will remain unbalanced and our inability to score tries will continue.
Last edited by sapajo on Sun May 24, 2015 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

I am often a cockers knocker but not today. I don't agree with this thread because the Tigers gave their all and were beaten by the better side on the day. I am glad that the Bath backs are playing so well as they will be the core of the England World Cup backline.

It has been a very long season and now is the time to say thanks to the blokes who are leaving and have a holiday to all of the staff.
jonlin
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by jonlin »

Time to move on,a long summer for some of you to sharpen your knives. Fellow happy clappers there will be more for us next season.
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

Tigerbeat wrote:Not having players available on a regular basis has compounded the problems of scoring tries. Allen, Manu, Benjamin, Loamanu, Bai, Scully, Morris's, Thompstone have hardly been available. Given game time together I am sure that they would have gained a better awareness of lines and channels to run down.
This is the attitude that has caused the problem. Given game time they will figure it out for themselves, they'll get better awareness of lines to run given real game time. Well, there's goes half a season on trial and error and if/when one of them gets injured it's start again time. It's either that or wait until Manu gets back - he's a good bosher like Logo - oh hang on they're both injured while boshing....

What about moving forwards and devising new plans/lines of attack (and why not take the players views and ideas into account? let them own part of the problem) and rehearse them at Oval Park over and over again until it's second nature to the players. At the moment we are waiting for Goneva to get the ball in a position that lets him do his stuff, but not working to a plan to achieve this, and when a player does make a break we are rarely in supporting positions and the player is having to think on his feet - until he is flattened and turned over because the support wasn't there (Stains last week).

The folly of relying on certain players' abillities has been shown this season. Without Allen the defence was rubbish (as usual) until a coach got his teeth into the problem and got the team to own the problem on the pitch instead of waiting to be told what to do in each situation.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

GS wrote:
This is the attitude that has caused the problem. Given game time they will figure it out for themselves, they'll get better awareness of lines to run given real game time. Well, there's goes half a season on trial and error and if/when one of them gets injured it's start again time. It's either that or wait until Manu gets back - he's a good bosher like Logo - oh hang on they're both injured while boshing....

What about moving forwards and devising new plans/lines of attack (and why not take the players views and ideas into account? let them own part of the problem) and rehearse them at Oval Park over and over again until it's second nature to the players. At the moment we are waiting for Goneva to get the ball in a position that lets him do his stuff, but not working to a plan to achieve this, and when a player does make a break we are rarely in supporting positions and the player is having to think on his feet - until he is flattened and turned over because the support wasn't there (Stains last week).

The folly of relying on certain players' abillities has been shown this season. Without Allen the defence was rubbish (as usual) until a coach got his teeth into the problem and got the team to own the problem on the pitch instead of waiting to be told what to do in each situation.
IMHO, the two are not mutually exclusive, as GS seems to imply. Quite the opposite, both are needed. It's all well and good working on things in training, but if players are getting injured, you have to start again, although not necessarily from scratch.
amazing tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by amazing tiger »

Cagey Tiger wrote:
GS wrote:

IMHO, the two are not mutually exclusive, as GS seems to imply. Quite the opposite, both are needed. It's all well and good working on things in training, but if players are getting injured, you have to start again, although not necessarily from scratch.

I agree that players need to gel but if they play together in one game and train all week they should gel. I think we just need to accept that we were not good ad the better team won. We played like we have done all season.the backs just looked clueless.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

There has been a consistent lack of cohesion in attack all season - when we come across a tight defence we struggle. For the last few seasons we have relied on Manu and latterly Logo to do the boshing and tie in defenders.
Beyond that largely clueless.

Tight 5 excellent. Not sure why a barely fit Slater started at 6 when he's really a lock and perhaps compounded a lack of pace in the back row, leaving one of our outstanding players of the season on the bench. Far better to have Slater on the bench to replace Thorne as he tired.

For next season we need more pace, ideas and structure in the backs and more pace and dynamism in the back row.

A mixture of coaching and personnel. Blaming individual players for yesterday would be unfair. Effort was fine. Pace is something you have or not, the coaching has to take responsibility for the tactics.
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

Cagey Tiger wrote:IMHO, the two are not mutually exclusive, as GS seems to imply. Quite the opposite, both are needed. It's all well and good working on things in training, but if players are getting injured, you have to start again, although not necessarily from scratch.
The point I was trying to make was that if it is worked on in training then you can make sure that all the players know how it works and so can stand in if one is injured. If the players have developed a play in real game time then it will only work with those players. Mind you, having any plan for the backs to run would be a start........ :smt023

In all of this I would add that I think Geordan was a great player and is a top bloke, before anyone accuses me of Geordy bashing. And my hope is that under Mauger he will learn to be a top coach and take over when Mauger returns to NZ to fulfill his dream of coaching the ABs having returned Tigers to the top of the pile here.
Steve56
Tiger Cub

Post by Steve56 »

I seem to be witnessing the very slow demise of a once great club. I compare yesterday's away semi-final performance with last year's at rampant Northampton and I feel sad. I don't know why, I leave that to others who are better informed, but I know it's true.
I started watching Tigers 14 years ago, and I think back to the brilliant games (home and away) that I have seen. Very rarely in the last two seasons have I come away elated and looking forwards to the next match. We'll still turn up next season, hoping for better, but expecting pretty much the same. Very sad.
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

Steady Steve, if you don't leave WR in ecstasy after each game you will be told to go and support another team. I think most of us traveled more in hope than expectation this season but there's always next season and I start every season in expectation
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Just to make a point, you can give your all and still be rubbish. If I was out there, I could give absolutely everything but I'd still be godawful. So posters saying they weren't rubbish, they gave everything, are not making any kind of valid point.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

GS wrote:
Cagey Tiger wrote:IMHO, the two are not mutually exclusive, as GS seems to imply. Quite the opposite, both are needed. It's all well and good working on things in training, but if players are getting injured, you have to start again, although not necessarily from scratch.
The point I was trying to make was that if it is worked on in training then you can make sure that all the players know how it works and so can stand in if one is injured. If the players have developed a play in real game time then it will only work with those players. Mind you, having any plan for the backs to run would be a start........ :smt023

In all of this I would add that I think Geordan was a great player and is a top bloke, before anyone accuses me of Geordy bashing. And my hope is that under Mauger he will learn to be a top coach and take over when Mauger returns to NZ to fulfill his dream of coaching the ABs having returned Tigers to the top of the pile here.
I generally agree, but would wonder how long the training sessions would be to make sure that every centre combination that we have used due to injury was up to speed :smt002
Sajerj
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Sajerj »

All of us watch endless games of sport, rugby or otherwise, were the underdogs put up a plucky display but ultimately the quality shines through and the scoreboard reflects the gulf.

Tigers lost the second half yesterday 26-0, despite a numerical advantage in part. They conceded seven tries and generally Bath scored at will.
seldomrong

Post by seldomrong »

I don't agree that we were rubbish - yes undoubtedly the better team won on the day.
They had the fire power in the backs to be clinical, we didn't.
However, Bath were never under pressure on the scoreboard. Burns couldn't hit a barn door when he had to. If (yes If) the two penalties early in the second half had been converted the score would have been 21-16 - then we might have seen how the glorious Bath that everyone is waxing lyrical about would have coped but they weren't and we didn't get the chance.
Remember how the messiah Ford missed the conversion at Welford Road to deny Bath a losing bonus point. That was pressure; not kicking goals from all over the park when you're miles in front.
I think Saracens have more belligerence than us and will run Bath close next week - it will interesting to see if GF has a 40m kick to win it from the touchline in the last minute, he makes it (like Stimmo - yes I am that old!), if he does I'll take my hat off to him.
I cant wait for AM to turn up next season and look forward to a more creative attacking style whilst maintaining our strength up front.
Well done Tigers for finishing 3rd when the all the doom mongers were half expecting us to miss out on Europe - roll on next season :smt023
Tigers are in my blood
Sajerj
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Sajerj »

seldomrong wrote:I don't agree that we were rubbish - yes undoubtedly the better team won on the day.
They had the fire power in the backs to be clinical, we didn't.
However, Bath were never under pressure on the scoreboard. Burns couldn't hit a barn door when he had to. If (yes If) the two penalties early in the second half had been converted the score would have been 21-16 - then we might have seen how the glorious Bath that everyone is waxing lyrical about would have coped but they weren't and we didn't get the chance.
Remember how the messiah Ford missed the conversion at Welford Road to deny Bath a losing bonus point. That was pressure; not kicking goals from all over the park when you're miles in front.
I think Saracens have more belligerence than us and will run Bath close next week - it will interesting to see if GF has a 40m kick to win it from the touchline in the last minute, he makes it (like Stimmo - yes I am that old!), if he does I'll take my hat off to him.
I cant wait for AM to turn up next season and look forward to a more creative attacking style whilst maintaining our strength up front.
Well done Tigers for finishing 3rd when the all the doom mongers were half expecting us to miss out on Europe - roll on next season :smt023
Out of interest, Would you rather have had Owen Farrell playing ten for Tigers yesterday ?