Re: Tigers absolutely rubbish

Post by RagingBull »

covrich wrote:
sapajo wrote:IMO we have undoubtedly the best pack in the premiership

Not going to be popular but I think tight 5 is probably the best

Not sure about our back row
TBH I agree.

I would even have Louw ahead of Salvi.

I'm hoping Williams will bring in something similar to Garvey, Fonua to something similar to Henry.
Tigerpete

Post by Tigerpete »

Dreadful really.......
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Phil B wrote:Ridiculous suggestion we were rubbish. We played our absolute hearts out, but met a much better side on the day. We tried to create openings with a plank, they had the scalpel. They deserved the win - we have a lot to do, but to suggest we were rubbish is an absolutely unfair insult.
+ another
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
Northenlad

Post by Northenlad »

I thought Bath's defence was outstanding and their backs are brilliant. Well played Bath.
If winning isn't everything, why do they bother keeping score?
JWM
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by JWM »

The size of the score was due to Tigers throwing the kitchen sink at it to score, bringing just about the whole line forward, then an error leading to a Bath sprinter having a virtually empty field.

I do not blame Tigers for trying to score. It was a risky strategy that didn’t pay off. I’m blooming proud of a Club that didn’t give up throughout a very difficult season, and got into the Top 4, coming third by winning more games than the nine Clubs below them.

I do not believe that Leicester Tigers has a divine right to always win. It is a logical inevitability that we won't always, there are cycles. Other once-huge Clubs that have been in the doldrums for years - Bath, Saracens, Wasps up and coming, Northampton to some extent - have caught up because of (let us say) a level of financial investment in playing staff, especially backs, to a level Tigers have not been able to match. Hence Cockers' honesty earlier in the season and the forthcoming arrival of Aaron Mauger.

For 90% of the season nobody gave Tigers a snowball-in-hell’s chance of making the Top 4.

If, frankly, I wasn’t good enough to win the Championship, what would I rather be …? A Club that everybody had written off, but tenaciously hung on in, reached the SFs, to lose Away to a side that I think will be the eventual Champions? Or a Club that had sailed high at the top of the Table all season, and then got beaten at Home by the Club that had only just squeezed into 4th place?

Only making the SFs this year (and last) not good enough? There were 8 other Clubs that would have given their eye teeth to do so.
ST in new Clubhouse stand ... sadly, my back's no longer up to standing :-(
APJones
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by APJones »

g wrote:And don't make excuses about injuries.Come on Sarries show these Bath average players how to play rugby. That was absolute rubbish from tigers cannot score against 13 players and I don't go on what Tigers have gone through all season Tigers are just an average side.
g why don't you go and support Stains ?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/apjones/collections/72157604067869830/
JOIN the Leicester Tigers Rugby photo group on Flickr LINK ABOVE
APJos and pit15
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

APJones wrote:
g wrote:And don't make excuses about injuries.Come on Sarries show these Bath average players how to play rugby. That was absolute rubbish from tigers cannot score against 13 players and I don't go on what Tigers have gone through all season Tigers are just an average side.
g why don't you go and support Stains ?
Probably already does..........
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
simoscribbler
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by simoscribbler »

Rubbish? Hardly. But as to whether we'll be competitive next season? We'll need a 95% fit sqaud, the new arrivals to fire, and the coaching team to make a big contribution. Because, for whatever reason(s), there was quite a big gulf in class yesterday - our front five outmatched theirs comfortably, and our back row was at least competitive, but in pretty much every other way they seemed much the better side to me.

(And how about this as an England coaching team: Baxter as head coach, Cockers and Wiggy forwards and Ford Snr leading the backs team. Not a bad combo, and if Mr Andrew's salary was available....)

My biggest worry in the short term - the injury to Niall Morris. It looked agonising, so get well soon. Apart from anything else I'm a big fan of his, I think he's really under-rated on here, and so I'd hoped to see the bloke wearing the 15 shirt for years to come. Just hope he's fit for next year: don't want the injury jinx to strike again before the new season begins, though it fear it already has. Very sad.

Funny enough I'd like Bath to beat Sarries next weekend - as a neutral they do play a superb brand of heads-up rugby, and their error rate in attack was freakishly low yesterday. Whether they've got the grunt up front to beat the very best in Europe next year is maybe doubtful, but on a fast track they really were utterly superb from 10-15. Maybe even the best ever backline in the professional era? If not now, then over the next year or two they will be, I'd say.

But so long as the club is facing up to the issues I'm relaxed, and I do not want to see us starting to overspend madly - I'll support the Tigers whatever happens, and I want it to remain as our club, not the plaything of some fussball-style sugar daddy. That way bankruptcy lies - because ours is, and will remain, a minority sport.

Coach and bring through our own players, one or two a year for the next few years, and we will be back at the top I'm sure - by which time over half our players will be home grown or developed, and maybe by then one or two of the current top dogs will have collapsed under the weight of debts and expectations....
castrofan
Tiger Cub

Post by castrofan »

They weren`t rubbish ....they gave their all !
Latecomer

Post by Latecomer »

Yesterday like much of last season we made too made errors and didn't take our chances when they came. We also uncharacteristically missed too many kicks at goal. Not a vintage season, but as normal we came good when it counted after New Year. We already have the new coaching team in place and are ready to hit the ground running as soon as the players return from a well earned rest. Expect even better next season.
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

We all know that g can have, how shall I say, contentious and extreme views but I am tired of the stock reply telling someone to go and support another team. I watched the game with a group of fans and their views on the Tiger's performance were quite varied. Some were similar to g's. Personally I thought it was a typical Tiger's performance, lots of muscle and effort but little brain. Take away the tight five and there were two plans. The first was typified by Tait's scampering around looking for a gap and the second was good old Tiger's trying to force a gap. Bath on the other hand created gaps by working as team until the end when we were throwing everything forward.

I think that we have the players to do the job and really hope that Mauger can teach them to work together to create chances using patterns of play that don't rely on brute force. The good old 'Tiger's dog' isn't enough any more.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

Thank you JWM and GS for two excellent posts.
I agree that the Club has done really well to finish top 4 after such a difficult season but GS is right that there are times when we don't function as a team or seem able to crack a well organised defence. We admire Tait just because he is willing to make those twinkling runs to try get us forward but it never seems like anyone else is on the same wavelength.
That's a coaches problem and we can see that other clubs currently do that better than us.
You can't though beat all of the people all of the time as has been referred to so the coaches will now have to think about and unpick this problem for next season.
And I will look forward to next season, and happily renew my season ticket at a great Club with fantastic character.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Not having players available on a regular basis has compounded the problems of scoring tries. Allen, Manu, Benjamin, Loamanu, Bai, Scully, Morris's, Thompstone have hardly been available. Given game time together I am sure that they would have gained a better awareness of lines and channels to run down.
Bath have had a very settled back line and they have been dangerous all season.
The forwards have been good all season.
As for rubbish, finishing third given all the things that have been thrown at us, it has been a good season. Problems or not, the table shows we won 15 out of 22 games.....
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

G.K wrote:
rugger wrote:We were poor. Our execution is untidy and our approach frankly Fred Karno's. It isn't without foundation that forwards decide Who (they did that) and backs by how many (they did that to). Our soft skills are just not their, we are crying out for structure in the backs. Then there is a chance that you can convert some of the chances with a scalpel rather than a bulldozer. It got embarrassing, 8 visits to the Tigers half. I dread the possession and tackles stats but I think they will flatter us and show that the modern game is as much about what you do with the ball as without it.

The game turned on 5 key areas for me. Inability and it is inability to convert pressure into any points, bad kicking day or otherwise we conceded 7 tries, from 8 visits. Crane gave away a stupid brainless and totally avoidable penalty from a high ball (try), I could run round goneva (twice, try), Morris drops high ball under minimal pressure, it is after all a premiership semi final, (try) and loamanu who otherwise looked good would not take his hands out of a ruck on the bath line and the pressure was gone.

We do not have the game to come back from this, how you perform under pressure is everything as was shown today.

Gallant, brave, gave everything yes, hard not to on a rugby pitch, but out coached, out thought and outplayed.

Too many good players are prepared to leave this club because of the style of rugby we play, that is a fact, TTTE alludes to it, I suspect others will in the off season.

Roll on the great white hope Mauger. We need something different, without it today is about as good as it gets. 7 tries to 1, semi final, say what you like but if it walks like a chicken, talks like a chicken...........
Thanks - you saved me a fair bit of typing there (I'll live with the grammar & typos)! Oh and isn't it Ducks rather than Chickens?
+1 we need a major (or rather Mauger) revolution next season!!
Good effort yesterday but horribly outclassed in the backs as many of us predicted.
Soggypitch