World cup failure in leicester?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Jeremy Anderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: World cup failure in leicester?

Post by Jeremy Anderson »

We will be TV watching RWC. Over-priced at Crisp Bowl and not happy WR ignored. Also prefer rugby crowds who know how to behave and are interested in what is happening on the pitch. I suspect many at RWC venues will be at their first rugby match. Good luck to them but not for me. How long before the Mexican waves start? No doubt the tannoy will be in overdrive trying to get the crowd going.
Upside is we have time to do another development phase at WR.
Jez

Only Winners Win!
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Jeremy Anderson wrote:We will be TV watching RWC. Over-priced at Crisp Bowl and not happy WR ignored. Also prefer rugby crowds who know how to behave and are interested in what is happening on the pitch. I suspect many at RWC venues will be at their first rugby match. Good luck to them but not for me. How long before the Mexican waves start? No doubt the tannoy will be in overdrive trying to get the crowd going.
sorry but I do find this to be a moronic argument, if the games to be staged here don't interest you then fair enough but being at the "wrong" stadium is just snobbery. This isn't a personal dig at you but rather the overall attitude regarding this, judge the games on the merit of the teams not the building they are played in.

Oh and complain to Tigers for not getting on with improving WR quick enough if they really wanted to host WC games
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Jimmy Skitz wrote:
Jeremy Anderson wrote:We will be TV watching RWC. Over-priced at Crisp Bowl and not happy WR ignored. Also prefer rugby crowds who know how to behave and are interested in what is happening on the pitch. I suspect many at RWC venues will be at their first rugby match. Good luck to them but not for me. How long before the Mexican waves start? No doubt the tannoy will be in overdrive trying to get the crowd going.
sorry but I do find this to be a moronic argument, if the games to be staged here don't interest you then fair enough but being at the "wrong" stadium is just snobbery. This isn't a personal dig at you but rather the overall attitude regarding this, judge the games on the merit of the teams not the building they are played in.

Oh and complain to Tigers for not getting on with improving WR quick enough if they really wanted to host WC games

How do you know Jeremy is a Moron? Have you met him? I have (nmany times) and believe me he is highly inelligent.

I too will not ne attending any RWC games at KPS or elsewhere. A match at WR I likely would have attended even between "lower rated" teams. Were the Tigers Board advised of they work they would have to do in advance of the WC?

I think not!
Still keeping the faith!
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Bill W (2) wrote:
Jimmy Skitz wrote:

How do you know Jeremy is a Moron? Have you met him? I have (nmany times) and believe me he is highly inelligent.

I too will not ne attending any RWC games at KPS or elsewhere. A match at WR I likely would have attended even between "lower rated" teams. Were the Tigers Board advised of they work they would have to do in advance of the WC?

I think not!
Oh Bill. Are you suggesting that the Board weren't aware that WR wasn't RWC2015 compliant prior to being eliminated? I find it difficult to believe that they were that inept, even if they were arrogant enough to assume that it didn't matter.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

h's dad wrote:Oh Bill. Are you suggesting that the Board weren't aware that WR wasn't RWC2015 compliant prior to being eliminated? I find it difficult to believe that they were that inept, even if they were arrogant enough to assume that it didn't matter.
Far from me to insult the Board in that way. I believe they believed that they could become compliant but that the RWC people focussed on ££££ and believed that they could make more money by using KPS. Likely a mistake. They failed to recognise that many of the faithful Tigers fans would not shell out £££ to go to KPS to watch (minor) albeit they would have at WR.

The Boards failure was in not recognising that the organisers of RWC were not Rugby people. They were and are "event organisers".
Still keeping the faith!
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

I'm not at all surprised by the lack of take up. After all the country's biggest club has been dumped by RWC because of its one size fits all policy - a cold, emotionless, disinterested decision that reflected RWC's need to sell media rights in Canada, Romania et al than in Leicester.
But I shall go .......because I will support Marcos particularly , Agulla, Matera (if he is in) and I also think that Canada v Romania might be a terrific Div 2 game
If others wish to cut off their nose to spite their face, I do not question their democratic right so to do.
CockersIII

Post by CockersIII »

I felt compelled to sign up to the forum just to respond to this thread, after several years of reading.

As a Leicester City fan, but always a follower of the Tigers (and a partner with a Tigers season ticket) I was dismayed when the KPS was selected. Welford Road's history, it's atmosphere and its heritage

Yes, the pitch is too narrow, the media facilities aren't at the elite standard and the changing rooms aren't up to scratch (as deemed by World Rugby, anyway); but I'm sorry, the biggest competition in World Rugby Union is being hosted in England and there's no sign of the biggest rugby exclusive stadium in the country? That's not right at all.

Now of course that may be more than a misty-eyed view on events, but essentially by not only choosing the KP and giving three 'lesser' games they're ripped the heart out of the spectacle that bringing the RWC to Leicester would've been for the city.

The Tiger's attempts to join in the RWC with their own fan parks and big screens should be lauded, and any attempts by the RWC committee to lobby the council to refuse any permissions that need to be granted resisted.

I would have loved to have gone to a game, but the prices are ridiculous and not befitting the teams on show. I wouldn't go as far as to say I hope the attendance is a failure but visible empty seats would be a striking statement that is very necessary in this situation. I also praise those who aren't going out of principle that the games aren't where they should be.

Everyone that is going, I hope their are three cracking games!
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Cockers111, what a great post, which encompasses the thoughts of many Leicester rugby people, as well as the odd footy one!

Welcome to the Madhouse!
Valhalla I am coming!
sebco
Tiger Cub

Post by sebco »

Have you seen the size of the turnstiles at king power I wouldn't fit side ways haha
Sajerj
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Sajerj »

The record crowd at The Kings Power remains Tigers vs Bath in the HC quarter final 2006.

The heritage of WR was overlooked when the $$$$ were dangled in front of the Tigers board. Nor were many of the 32,800 lucky enough to attend a fabulous match complaining.

Tigers of course later came with in a hair's breadth of moving to The Walkers. Only the issue of primacy prevented it. Otherwise the club was happy to dump WR for The Walkers Stadium. $$$$
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Sajerj wrote:The heritage of WR was overlooked when the $$$$ were dangled in front of the Tigers board. Nor were many of the 32,800 lucky enough to attend a fabulous match complaining.

Tigers of course later came with in a hair's breadth of moving to The Walkers. Only the issue of primacy prevented it. Otherwise the club was happy to dump WR for The Walkers Stadium. $$$$
Neither of these assertions are historically accurate.
Still keeping the faith!
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

The king power never held 32,800 the current record is 32,500 and will remain that until such time as the stadium is expanded, currently the capacity is 32,250, after some seats were removed for "safety reasons" though there is no record of any trouble at a game at the King Power stadium
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Bill W (2) wrote:
h's dad wrote:Oh Bill. Are you suggesting that the Board weren't aware that WR wasn't RWC2015 compliant prior to being eliminated? I find it difficult to believe that they were that inept, even if they were arrogant enough to assume that it didn't matter.
Far from me to insult the Board in that way. I believe they believed that they could become compliant but that the RWC people focussed on ££££ and believed that they could make more money by using KPS. Likely a mistake. They failed to recognise that many of the faithful Tigers fans would not shell out £££ to go to KPS to watch (minor) albeit they would have at WR.

The Boards failure was in not recognising that the organisers of RWC were not Rugby people. They were and are "event organisers".
Over many years, despite substantial investment, certain areas of WR wouldn't flatter a National Three ground, never mind an AP or RWC arena. I'm not sure that the RWC people could have had genuine confidence that all the necessary areas would have been addressed, never mind the pitch.
Sajerj
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Sajerj »

Bill W (2) wrote:
Sajerj wrote:The heritage of WR was overlooked when the $$$$ were dangled in front of the Tigers board. Nor were many of the 32,800 lucky enough to attend a fabulous match complaining.

Enlighten me, Bill ? (aside from the crowd being 32500 as Jimmy mentions).
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Sajerj wrote:
Bill W (2) wrote:

Enlighten me, Bill ? (aside from the crowd being 32500 as Jimmy mentions).
Didn't the HC QF require a stadium with a minimum capacity of 30,000?
Also, after the ground sharing deal fell through, Tigers were negotiating to buy Walkers outright until they got permission to expand WR.