Fixture changes for this season's play-offs and Final

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

WirralExile
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Fixture changes for this season's play-offs and Final

Post by WirralExile »

In previous seasons, I recall there being a week break between the semi-final and the final, where they slotted in the European Final(s). i.e. 2013/14 season the play-off semis were played on 16 and 17 May and the Final on 31 May. This season there is no break, we go straight from beating Bath on Saturday to facing Sarries at Twickenham the following week.
I know they have re-scheduled the Euros this season (looking at previous season's Euro fixtures they have pulled the Euro final in by a couple of weeks), but what has happened to this season's Premiership fixtures to lose the week break from semi to final. Effectively 3 knock-out games (4 if you include our match against Wasps) including the Final is a lot of intense rugby.
Wirral Exile
Same birthplace as Oz, but not quite as lippy!
Christophelp

Re: Fixture changes for this season's play-offs and Final

Post by Christophelp »

WirralExile wrote:In previous seasons, I recall there being a week break between the semi-final and the final, where they slotted in the European Final(s). i.e. 2013/14 season the play-off semis were played on 16 and 17 May and the Final on 31 May. This season there is no break, we go straight from beating Bath on Saturday to facing Sarries at Twickenham the following week.
I know they have re-scheduled the Euros this season (looking at previous season's Euro fixtures they have pulled the Euro final in by a couple of weeks), but what has happened to this season's Premiership fixtures to lose the week break from semi to final. Effectively 3 knock-out games (4 if you include our match against Wasps) including the Final is a lot of intense rugby.
Seems to be as simple as the Euro final was moved forward and the last two games of the AP season and play-off SFs were moved back. The final is still on the same comparable date (last Saturday in May) so the season starts and ends at the same time.

2013/14 - 1st round of AP on w/e of 6/7/8 Sept. SFs on 16/17 May. Final on 31 May. Euro final on 24 May.

2014/15 - 1st round of AP on w/e of 5/6/7 Sept. SFs on 23 May. Final on 30 May. Euro final on 2 May.
WirralExile
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by WirralExile »

....however, I feel that teams that have had the break between semi and final will be more rested and potentially not carrying niggles into the final. Given that the last 2 seasons have started the same time, something has slipped somewhere to get rid of the week break/gap between semi and final.
Wirral Exile
Same birthplace as Oz, but not quite as lippy!
Christophelp

Post by Christophelp »

WirralExile wrote:....however, I feel that teams that have had the break between semi and final will be more rested and potentially not carrying niggles into the final.
Totally agree with you on this.
WirralExile wrote:Given that the last 2 seasons have started the same time, something has slipped somewhere to get rid of the week break/gap between semi and final.
Yes, it's the Euro final as you pointed out in your OP.

Noted though that last year both Saints and Sarries played in the Euro finals in the break week.