Manu Tuilagi - out of the World Cup...?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Manu Tuilagi - out of the World Cup...?

Post by MrPartridge »

A couple of points:

1. I didn't see this coming like everyone else. Casts shame on Manu and the club
2. IMHO Manu as a player is our biggest asset and our major game-changer
3. Can understand why Lancaster and RFU have made their decision. It tells players what's expected
4. Like many of you today, I'm going to go out and have a few beers. I'll get a taxi home, but I won't end up in a confrontation with the driver and have a scrap with two female police officers... some of these sports stars have huge muscles, but tiny brains!
5. Time for Manu to get his act together on and off the pitch and be a model pro. Start by doing some charity work for a local women's charity.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Manu has let himself and his Club down badly. He is taking a pounding in the press, not surprisingly, and this criminal conviction will stay with him and be referred to by the media/pundits etc for the rest of his career.

He has been fined, will quite rightly miss the World Cup (which will cost him big time financially)and be disciplined by Leicester (probably another fine/community work etc).

I very much doubt however that he will be banned by Leicester; he needs to get back into training asap, have a proper pre season with Leicester, play for the club, rebuild his career and reputation on and off the field. If he does all that with diligence and some humility he will return a better and stronger player/person.

The Club also need to provide some form of counselling/advice in respect of alcohol abuse, it's only hearsay but I've been told that alcohol does not sit well with many of the south sea islanders, he needs to recognise that too much alcohol changes his character and to be very aware of that.

He's essentially a very nice, affable and incredibly talented young man, he needs the Club's full support over the next few months, and also the support of the Tigers fans (whilst not excusing his actions).

Good luck to you Manu, the next few months will be a big test of your character.
Soggypitch
Knightonian

Post by Knightonian »

This is a turning point in his career

It's time for him to reflect, learn and become better.

It may be that he needs the club to "give" him a mentor to help him - someone who is a model professional on and off the pitch

This is a career defining moment - from now on its up to Manu to be better and not let himself, his family or Leicester down again

We all know he is an amazing player with a love for Leicester as we have for him.

With rose coloured spectacles I hope to say this is the moment when a good player learnt and became great.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Knightonian wrote:This is a turning point in his career

It's time for him to reflect, learn and become better.

It may be that he needs the club to "give" him a mentor to help him - someone who is a model professional on and off the pitch

This is a career defining moment - from now on its up to Manu to be better and not let himself, his family or Leicester down again

We all know he is an amazing player with a love for Leicester as we have for him.

With rose coloured spectacles I hope to say this is the moment when a good player learnt and became great.
Knightonian - I think you are spot on with these comments.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I personally don't think he has brought shame on the club IMO. He has brought shame on himself though.

What he did was wrong but it had nothing to do with the club.

I found the Ashton punch more shameful in terms a Leicester POV.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

MrPartridge wrote: 4. Like many of you today, I'm going to go out and have a few beers. I'll get a taxi home, but I won't end up in a confrontation with the driver and have a scrap with two female police officers... some of these sports stars have huge muscles, but tiny brains!
What are tonight's lottery numbers?

Whilst I understand where you're coming from and am sure that's your intent for today/tonight, and am in no way defending Manu's actions, how do you know what's going to happen tonight? I doubt very much that Manu went out to do either of those things, they happened - he was daft to get into the situation but they happened, I doubt they were planned. (no excuses though - he's solely accountable)

From the details I've seen it hardly constitutes a 'scrap with two female police officers' either, a (stupid and ill advised) struggle might be more appropriate, where the officers were struck (again - no defence of Manu)

Have a great day, enjoy the game and the beers (as will I hopefully) and a good evening Mr P and get home safely. :smt023
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Fair point Whitecap Tiger - nice to get your point of view. I'm of course not saying Manu planned this but how did he get himself into this situation? He clearly lost sight of his limits and wasn't with others to help him out. That's poor planning and judgement on his part.

Enjoy today's game and here's to a win so at least conversation moves back to Tigers from MT.

PS just seen Mike Brown interviewed on Sky - he pretty much said al Englan players know what is expected by the management. More importantly from an England perspective: he is on the mend
Duncan B
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Duncan B »

The most disappointing thing for me is its obvious how much playing for England means to him, and I've heard him speak many times about the importance of being a positive role model. He's got drunk and made a big mistake. I'm sure noone is more more disappointed in Manu than Manu is at the moment. :smt009
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

G.K wrote:
Isambard wrote:Much of the responsibility is with the club. There are so many players with lengthy injuries. They need to be occupied in a useful way and as they are employed by the club then that is club responsibility.
Sorry but no it isn't the club's responsibility to chaperone players 24 hours a day, each individual is responsible for their own actions.
I didn't mention 24/7 chaperoning. I said that the club have a responsibility to give purpose and occupation to their injured players. Injury is such a large aspect of life now that doing some club/community related work in addition to rehab and restricted training is essential imho. Working in the shop for a day a week, going to college on a course, voluntary work in prisons, working with the homeless are all part of keeping injured players within the groove.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

No, no, no - Manu and he alone is responsible for his actions, it's totally disingenuous to expect the club to keep him out of trouble. In any case you are assuming the club did nothing, do you have evidence for that?
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

interesting to note that the one's being anti-Manu are largely the ones being anti-Cockerill and frankly, anti-Tigers.
Dave, Bill, darganj and a few others point out
1 assault can be anything from a hand touching the officer to a push, usually a punch will attract a higher tariff if not in a hurly-burly
2 if he had done something really serious it would be a higher tariff (causing ABH)
3 like his brothers on a night out and God knows how many rugby players, he was :censored:
4 Lancaster has another excuse for messing up the England team for the last few years and the next six months till he gets the sack
5 I expect Tigers to do what most employers will do, look at the incident, look at his work record, say' stupid, you need talking to' and get on with employing him
6 Those calling for him to be sacked should get off their high horses and in the case of a couple, go and support another team cos you don't support Tigers.
7 may I remind all Saints fans that their man Clark seriously and deliberately fractured another man's arm on the pitch and Lancaster is not just having him in the squad but thinks he is captain material. Shows Lancaster's moral compass to be quite defective.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

MrPartridge wrote:Fair point Whitecap Tiger - nice to get your point of view. I'm of course not saying Manu planned this but how did he get himself into this situation? He clearly lost sight of his limits and wasn't with others to help him out. That's poor planning and judgement on his part.
I don't know how he got himself into it Mr P, nor do I know that he did indeed het himself into it, there may have been others involved prior to him kicking off.
MrPartridge wrote:Enjoy today's game and here's to a win so at least conversation moves back to Tigers from MT.
I enjoyed the result :smt002 and conversation will probably be on Mr Carley :smt003
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

What I wonder, and not by way of mitigation, is what did the taxi driver do (if anything) to merit this reaction?
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

http://bit.ly/1HkdETw

Cockers on Manu
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

jgriffin wrote:interesting to note that the one's being anti-Manu are largely the ones being anti-Cockerill and frankly, anti-Tigers.
Dave, Bill, darganj and a few others point out
1 assault can be anything from a hand touching the officer to a push, usually a punch will attract a higher tariff if not in a hurly-burly
2 if he had done something really serious it would be a higher tariff (causing ABH)
3 like his brothers on a night out and God knows how many rugby players, he was :censored:
4 Lancaster has another excuse for messing up the England team for the last few years and the next six months till he gets the sack
5 I expect Tigers to do what most employers will do, look at the incident, look at his work record, say' stupid, you need talking to' and get on with employing him
6 Those calling for him to be sacked should get off their high horses and in the case of a couple, go and support another team cos you don't support Tigers.
7 may I remind all Saints fans that their man Clark seriously and deliberately fractured another man's arm on the pitch and Lancaster is not just having him in the squad but thinks he is captain material. Shows Lancaster's moral compass to be quite defective.
Nicely put, JG
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man