Biarritz & Bayonne to merge into one Basque club

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Biarritz & Bayonne to merge into one Basque club

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Gavin Mortimer has said Midi Olympique have announced this is finally happening as of 1st July and has cause a lot of anger and tears..If Bayonne stay up they will be in the Top 14 and will keep 22 of the current Bayonne squad and only 9 of the Biarritz..both groups of supporters feel betrayed but it is an action born of "economic necessity".

Apparently they are planning to buy Scott Spedding out of his Clermont deal so he can be part of it so god knows where that will leave Tait...(Hopefully here :smt003 ) Gavin when asked the question by a follower stated there was no mention but it looks like a case for lawyers/agents/officials to thrash out...

Quite sad really I have always loved Biarritz especially as a club and seeing them in Europe in their pomp...But these are the casualties of the mega rich money boys club and another reason why the salary cap is doing the AP proud :smt023
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Biarritz & Bayonne to merge into one Basque club

Post by RagingBull »

TBH if Bayonne have watched Tait play recently they might use Tait @13 anyway.
InGuinnessVeritas
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by InGuinnessVeritas »

This was talked about two years ago (Sky News) and summarily dismissed.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

InGuinnessVeritas wrote:This was talked about two years ago (Sky News) and summarily dismissed.
Slight different to the current situation, in that both clubs have agreed to the merger it just needs to be approved.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

RagingBull wrote:
InGuinnessVeritas wrote:This was talked about two years ago (Sky News) and summarily dismissed.
Slight different to the current situation, in that both clubs have agreed to the merger it just needs to be approved.
Yes it was a couple of years ago but it appears it is now going through and needs to be ratified at the AGM and then its a done deal..

RB love you as I do I always get the impression you like to either takeover (See this thread) or dismiss any news you don't break on here :smt047

You are not the Rugby Oracle you know :smt019 But I still love you :smt049
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

The plot thickens. I do hope we are sensible enough to make Tait an offer he can't refuse if the chance arises.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
InGuinnessVeritas
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

This is the article from Midi Olympique dated yesterday. Translation courtesy of Google Translate.

The merger between Bayonne and Biarritz concerns two rugby clubs, but also two municipalities stakeholders of both clubs. Veunac Michel, the mayor of Biarritz, and Jean-René Etchegaray, the mayor of Bayonne, assert their separate not have information on the subject.

"There is no reliable information today (Wednesday, ed.) I hear rumors all directions that contradict each other and when I have the information, I will make statements. In the present circumstances, I have no statement to make, "the mayor of Biarritz, Michel Veunac. "Nothing is tied up in this case. Nothing has been published. I asked the question whether the agreements were actually signed. Nothing has been done," the mayor of Bayonne, Jean-René Etchegaray.

He added: "I find completely inappropriate today, when we play very important deadlines, whether this runaway machine then we need serenity No. emergency in this case justifies talking merger even though it must devote its energy to prepare these games. I have relationships with the club. There is no discussion of merging the clubs in discussions I could have. At no time ".

Obviously, both sides, there has anxiety about the future of both clubs. From a financial standpoint, the city of Biarritz had already granted an additional extension of 400,000 euros at the end of last season to balance the club's accounts and avoid demotion in Federal 1. This season, the deficit is more important and delays in payment of players' salaries have followed the past two months. A financial situation that the mayor Biarritz prefer not to comment for now. He admits, however, receive "regular reports on the economic situation of the Olympic Biarritz." "The granting of exceptional grant the Olympic Biarritz assumed that there is a look worn by the city on the club's finances," he recalls.

In Bayonne, before considering the club's accounts, Jean-René Etchegaray must first face the wrath of the fans as much noisier side of Biarritz. "I fear that passion prevails over reason a little. That's what bothers me in this case. It must appeal for calm and respect for people. I hope the spirits that are heated will calm down again to return to the essential. " The mayor of Bayonne knows his passionate city by its Aviron: "With us, rugby is more than a sport, it is a social, cultural for us obviously that questions concerning this club interest us primarily. ".

The city of Bayonne pay 700,000 euros in subsidies per year pro Bayonne rugby and owns the facilities Stade Jean Dauger. "What makes you want to have a say, even if we are not shareholders," he considers. However Jean-René Etchegaray does not position for or against the merger. He insists however that this matter be conducted in the utmost respect of all including fans: "Each city is very attached to this club, must be taken into account This is the reason why before.. imagine any reconciliation, observe that supporters say, hear, talk ".
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Tricky one. Clearly two clubs with a long history, playing in decent mid-capacity municipal stadiums. But, the stadiums are only 5/6 miles apart and the towns have populations around 30,000 and 50,000 respectively. Clearly pooling the resources could create a club capable of competing with the likes of Toulon and Clermont. And there is a regional culture, it wouldn't be a marriage of differences.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

JackFlashJonny wrote:
RagingBull wrote:
Yes it was a couple of years ago but it appears it is now going through and needs to be ratified at the AGM and then its a done deal..

RB love you as I do I always get the impression you like to either takeover (See this thread) or dismiss any news you don't break on here :smt047

You are not the Rugby Oracle you know :smt019 But I still love you :smt049
Wasn't meant to be the case here, ;)

Just saying that this attempt is a lot different to previous talks as both clubs are taking it very seriously.

Gotta feel for the fans here.

Imagine having tojoin with saints or wasps. Tough times I guess for the lesser top 14 clubs.

Hopefully Tait has things prepared if the situation changes.
InGuinnessVeritas
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Changing the subject slightly, in March Bernard Laporte was saying the Top 14 should be cut to 12 teams in order to free up more time for the national (i.e. French) players to prepare.

This re-proposed merger could help that situation. Read all about it
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

InGuinnessVeritas wrote:Changing the subject slightly, in March Bernard Laporte was saying the Top 14 should be cut to 12 teams in order to free up more time for the national (i.e. French) players to prepare.

This re-proposed merger could help that situation. Read all about it
It only helps if Biaritz get promoted and Bayonne stay up.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Doesn't matter because whatever club emerges it will be in the French 2nd division and I understood that Tait had a clause in his contract about relegation, so he might afterall stay at Tigers.
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

This would be great but not a gimme as in Salvi's case. Perhaps he'll take up surfing with his mate Geoff in sunny Devon.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

According to midi olympique things are getting somewhat ugly with 500 Bayonne supporters protesting on Saturday about this...

Then there was fighting against Bordeaux (Yes you are reading this correctly.. Fighting in Rugby stands :smt009 ) the French money really has turned it into Football..As the Bordeaux fans chanted 'Who are you' to the Bayonne section..
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

This is now OFF! Bayonne president Manu Merin tells press conference "Faced with so much violence, to protect my family, the (Bayonne) employees, I've decided to terminate the discussions."

And that is that I reckon... :smt023