Thank you Julian Salvi

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Thank you Julian Salvi

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

As for Salvi, one of the most committed players I've ever had the joy to watch play for Leicester. Rarely injured and rarely off form, he'll be the crux of whatever club he joins.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

S and M wrote :
Smudge wrote:
Yes, TTTE has really bombed since he left us. Top try scorer in the league
A number eight?

While there is a warm glow among us following the win over Wasps, let no-one be
in any doubt who is responsible for the departure of these great players.
As it was put to me by a complete outsider. "There must be a complete "numpty" in charge at Tigers to let players of this quality depart.
Mauger has to be responsible for the recruitment and retention of players or
this will keep on occurring.

Right:

a) So Murphy15 offers a perfectly reasonable opinion that Salvi is more valuable to us than Waldrom, and that galvanises your point how, exactly?

b) Mauger wants to bring in his own staff, hence Blake has to leave. He also has been suggesting players he knows of to recruit, which is why certain players are not being offered new contracts in favour of incoming players. I suppose he's not to blame for any of this? I'm not suggesting that Mauger is wrong in any of this but I'm just using him to exemplify your (hilariously) resolute and unfounded criticism of Cockerill - that he is to blame for everything.

c) Perhaps Cockerill was not fond of Waldrom's attitude, or his commitment to Tigers, or his propensity for moments of real stupidity. These are reasonable criteria by which a player can be judged as valuable or not. Waldrom was considered not valuable and, yes, he's gone on to do quite well elsewhere but that's not really the point.
That is precisely the point. Were it a one off you would have some credence but add Julian to TTTE, Ford, 36, Parling, Lewington, Gibson, etc etc etc etc.and you have a problem. If you can't see this, or more precise choose to bury your head in the sand, that's up to you.
Yes some players do move on and always will but this is endemic and evidence of poor management. The buck has to stop with the man in charge the DOR.
A life long Tiger
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Smudge wrote:

Yes some players do move on and always will but this is endemic and evidence of poor management.

In your opinion. And don't say that if I can't see this, I'm burying my head in the sand (the standard reply of the Cockers out brigade to anyone who disagrees with them). I have not said whether I agree with you our not, only that this an opinion, not fact.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Julian is going to Exeter and it would seem we made an offer and he wanted more(courtesy of an Exeter fan who says he knows). Whatever the reason, thanks and farewell.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

That is how I heard it too.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Thanks to Salvi and best of luck, most of the time.

I understood the original shave at the start of the season was for the big money move to France or Japan as he will be 30 at the start of next season. This didn’t happen for whatever reason and by the time this was clear Tigers had made other arrangements with the salary cap (and would have been pilloried if they hadn’t) and couldn’t offer a suitable package. Hence, most probably, Exeter.

It would clearly be stupid to hold the position that all departures are for one reason only but can anybody supply any evidence that player turnover at Tigers is consistently at the top end for the AP over the last few years?
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Jeremy Anderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremy Anderson »

Salvi is a huge loss. Very sad to see him go. Even worse will be if he turns up playing against us.
Correct me if I am wrong but I understand contract negotiations are handled by My Cohen. For certain Cockers as DOR answers to the Tigers' Board and does not have a completely free hand.
I suspect that if a player does not sign the first contract offered by Tigers the policy is to sign up the best replacement available which means there is no possibility of / budget for then retaining the player even if he belatedly wants to stay. This policy may not be driven by Cockers but by Cohen and the Board.
Jez

Only Winners Win!
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

Jeremy Anderson wrote:Salvi is a huge loss. Very sad to see him go. Even worse will be if he turns up playing against us.
Correct me if I am wrong but I understand contract negotiations are handled by My Cohen. For certain Cockers as DOR answers to the Tigers' Board and does not have a completely free hand.
I suspect that if a player does not sign the first contract offered by Tigers the policy is to sign up the best replacement available which means there is no possibility of / budget for then retaining the player even if he belatedly wants to stay. This policy may not be driven by Cockers but by Cohen and the Board.
I suspect things have become a bit more stringent since the castro affair...
cheers
Rich
kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kend »

Jeremy Anderson wrote:Salvi is a huge loss. Very sad to see him go. Even worse will be if he turns up playing against us.

Well, according to TRP's Fissler (who is probably quite well informed) Salvi told the club he wouldn't be taking up the final years option on his contract - so gave notice in effect. So if it is a messy exit, Salvi and his agent are culpable rather than Cohen et al.
floridaboy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by floridaboy »

h's dad wrote:Thanks to Salvi and best of luck, most of the time.

I understood the original shave at the start of the season was for the big money move to France or Japan as he will be 30 at the start of next season. This didn’t happen for whatever reason and by the time this was clear Tigers had made other arrangements with the salary cap (and would have been pilloried if they hadn’t) and couldn’t offer a suitable package. Hence, most probably, Exeter.

It would clearly be stupid to hold the position that all departures are for one reason only but can anybody supply any evidence that player turnover at Tigers is consistently at the top end for the AP over the last few years?
That's how it was put to me by a friend who is in the media
floridaboy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by floridaboy »

h's dad wrote:Thanks to Salvi and best of luck, most of the time.

That's how it was put to me by a friend who is in the media
Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Doghashadhisday »

First of all thanks Julian. You have put your body on the line many a time and always given your best. I wish you the best of luck wherever you go and you will always be welcome at WR even if you come back in other colours.

For those knocking Cockers/the Club for letting Julian go, get over it. Players/agents and clubs negotiate and try and do what is best for either side and if things cant be sorted then we move on. It is not the end of the world. The Tigers world did not end when Back, Skinner, Jennings, Kronfeld, Moody etc left. We have a history of turning average/good players into very good or great players. You couldnt replace Dusty Hare but Lilo came along and when Lilo went we had Stimpson who people said was slow and could be turned and then came along a certain Mr Murphy. Alesana more than filled Varndells boots. When Scotty Hamilton came I still recall people saying things such as why do we want to sign a winger who is slow and average. I bet those same people were jumping up and down when he claimed the restart with minutes to go against the Sarries in the final and Hipkiss went on to win us the Premiership.
Sorry rant over and all the best Julian.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »