Tears from Cockerill

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Re: Tears from Cockerill

Post by Big Dai »

But reflect if you will............There's been some pretty dire rugby played by us this season, Bath being one shining, or perhaps not so shining example. We've got a top six position with a poor points difference and a poor try scoring record.

Yesterday I thought we played with guts and get up and go. Watching the team I've felt this was lacking in some games. In stark contrast if we'd have lost yesterday the guts we showed would have made it bearable for me as a fan.

I've no doubt, none at all, that Mr Cockerill cares about Tigers. Cut him, he will bleed red green and white. But some of the performances this season perhaps have built to a point where that emotional release was necessary.

Just for the record I would stand up in front of the team and say just that. Nothing to do with game plans, vast rugby knowledge, or tactics. Just that some of the performances this year lacked fire and passion. I would also tell them of the pride I have in a team that made its name on cussedness, on a never say die attitude and how much better I felt as a fan after yesterdays performance.

The team could then send me to Coventry if they wanted to.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Currently 3rd place and more wins than Exeter and Sarries. Not bad for our worst season ever.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

So now we have a cry baby as DOR? I'll bet Norm Hewitt is having a laugh about that! :smt002
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

Big Dai wrote:But reflect if you will............There's been some pretty dire rugby played by us this season, Bath being one shining, or perhaps not so shining example. We've got a top six position with a poor points difference and a poor try scoring record.

Yesterday I thought we played with guts and get up and go. Watching the team I've felt this was lacking in some games. In stark contrast if we'd have lost yesterday the guts we showed would have made it bearable for me as a fan.

I've no doubt, none at all, that Mr Cockerill cares about Tigers. Cut him, he will bleed red green and white. But some of the performances this season perhaps have built to a point where that emotional release was necessary.

Just for the record I would stand up in front of the team and say just that. Nothing to do with game plans, vast rugby knowledge, or tactics. Just that some of the performances this year lacked fire and passion. I would also tell them of the pride I have in a team that made its name on cussedness, on a never say die attitude and how much better I felt as a fan after yesterdays performance.

Well said that man.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
Bluesmansnarf

Post by Bluesmansnarf »

Found this - very enjoyable - a nice take on the tears too.

(contains snooker!)

Put your nugget on it http://wp.me/p5z6hK-7q
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

I will put my hand up and say that I may have been mistaken. I will, however, keep it at 'may' at the moment. I had honestly lost belief that the team could produce a performance with the passion shown at the weekend and I hold the playing and coaching staff responsible for that, including RC. Never doubted that he was Tigers through and through, never doubted that he was doing his best but, to use footballing parlance, I felt that he had lost the dressing room and that it was time for an injection of new blood. The performance at the weekend shows that the team that I know is still in there somewhere but one swallow does not make a summer and we have had false dawns this season before. If we can build on this result and pull out a similar performance next week and through the playoffs (hopefully) then I for one will be happy to admit that I was wrong and will keep my trap shut next season if we have a few howlers but it will take more than one performance to totally convince me.
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

Perhaps we've all got this the wrong way round ?
Perhaps RC's frustrations & tears are because of his intense pride at the team showing what can be achieved DESPITE the obstacles that are put in his way, and that the moaning & groaning that goes on on here are replicated at Board level, and then despite all the high profile losses we see - TTTE , Parling, Salvi et al - and the injuries, he's still got us there or thereabouts, and in fact what RC is thinking is 'Right, stuff this, I'm not getting enough support, the Board is letting key players go against my wishes, I've done my best so if that's not good enough, I'm off'
A bit dramaatic I know but just a thought............
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

GS wrote:
Big Dai wrote:But reflect if you will............There's been some pretty dire rugby played by us this season, Bath being one shining, or perhaps not so shining example. We've got a top six position with a poor points difference and a poor try scoring record.

Well said that man.
Seconded.

And, happy clappers, I was pleased with the performance against Wasps. However, its just a pity that for large parts of the season, the team looked like it met up in the car park before the match. That sort of ineptitude doesn't happen naturally you know, it has to be trained in...
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Roly wrote:However, its just a pity that for large parts of the season, the team looked like it met up in the car park before the match. That sort of ineptitude doesn't happen naturally you know, it has to be trained in...
Hey ho Roly. Your record has got stuck. We all know your views on this topic - you express them so frequently - and repeating them endlessly has become sooo boring. I know that you are entitled to your opinion, but so am I. And yes, I don't have to read your posts, which to be honest, I shall make every effort to stop doing from now.

Yes the performances have ranged from the abysmal (e.g. Bath away, Irish home) to the good (Bath home, Toulon home, Exeter home and away). Note that I didn't say very good. However we have been winning even if it has often been winning ugly, very ugly. The level of performance earlier in the season is of lesser importance than winning games. Newcastle have been getting lots of plaudits for their performances (maybe you would be happier supporting them if performance is so important to you), but not winning many AP games are they?

I am neither a happy clapper, nor a doom monger. Just somewhere in the middle with an optimistic view of life (even with my wife dying a year ago at the age of 51). Yes RC is ultimately responsible for lots of things, but not EVERYTHING.

I have been worried that although we were winning, we would be found out against the big names at the end of the season. Saturday showed that at this point in the season we can perform to a high standard, as well as win against strong opposition. I am hopeful that we can beat Saints next week but it will almost certainly need a similar performance unless Saints don't turn up. Unlikely. Will we perform? I don't know. Can we perform? Definitely. The last few games, our performances have rather mirrored the quality of the opposition - poor against Welsh, good against Exeter and Wasps, which gives me optimism that we can raise our game against the team, hopefully teams, that we are about to meet.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

That's the first time I've ever seen Crocodile tears of happiness bless him.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

I see the tedious characters got here in good time :smt006
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

I was convinced we'd lose that game at Wasps, so was so pleased that we pulled out a performance like that. Proper tigers of old stuff.

I don't think Cockers passion for the club has ever been in doubt and we all know we haven't performed the way we'd like this season for one reason or another. But Cockers has taken the flack and ridden it out whilst admitting he has areas of weakness as a coach/manager and has taken steps to put that right.

I would love us to be in the playoffs and win the thing but if we finish 5th I'll still be proud of the team for not giving in and taking us to the final game of the season with hope.

I personally can't wait for next season, could be one year where the world cup actually works in our favor by giving some of our players a rest.

Well done Tigers, now bring on Saints.........
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Cockers puts some context behind his ex colleagues' credibility to criticise:
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/m ... tin-healey
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

But he never mentioned Smudge :smt017
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

Can anyone remind me what honours Healey, Back, and Moody have won since retiring from the game?
Just like whinging Boycott the three of them -" it was never like this in my day"!