2014/15 Rumours/Contracts/Signings part 4

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 2014/15 Rumours/Contracts/Signings part 4

Post by Grimlish »

That cant be real - a clip featuring Geordan Murphy and a pass from Matt Smith IN THE SAME TRY??
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

fortysix wrote:RB, problem is , if we want to compete in the Champions Cup and the Top 4 Premier, which I presume is our objective, we need at least 3 more with something called pace, against the Top teams.....

Betham OK, but who else?
Benjamin possible but he isnt a guaranteed starter.
Goneva is a shoe in, but his performances last season were not anywhere near 2013/4
Tuilagi, will he be fit ?
Roberts/ Catchpole, spritely but not Varndell quick..
Bai, Loamanu. Thompstone, ahem, forceful but not going to bother the top teams
Tait Morris Smith Allen Camacho( !! ) el al too slow....

Just being totally realistic, otherwise 2015/6 will just be like the last few years....

With quick backs our dominant front 5 would be 100% better...
If you consider Varndell as merely quicker and anyone who isn't as rapid as slow then pretty much every back in the league is slow.

Our backs aren't slow but they do lack vision and aren't the most skillfull. If you luck at Nemani Nadolo he's setting the world alight at the minute but his pace is nothing special. His ability to barge through a gap, find space and use his footballing skills to create chances for himself and others make him outstanding.

Now if we could find a players with the vision and skills like Geordie used to offer us that would help us far more.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I note in the Mockery that we are getting our new coaches earlier than planned due to Crusaders not making the playoffs, bit of a bonus for us.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

tigerburnie wrote:I note in the Mockery that we are getting our new coaches earlier than planned due to Crusaders not making the playoffs, bit of a bonus for us.
Now, I'm no doom monger but having 2 coaches early because they failed to get into post season for the first time in many years is rather a mixed blessing!
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

And Fitzgerald will presumably now arrive early due to playing in a team not good enough to get to the playoff semis!
KevinR

Post by KevinR »

Crusaders' season wasn't unlike ours, disrupted by injuries to key players. They really improved when Carter came back, but Read hardly played. They were one of the form teams for the final few rounds, but it was just too late.

I am more than happy with our acquisition of Mike Fitzgerald. There was a moment of spikiness in the play-off match, just after an excellent turn-over, when his body language reminded me forcibly of our illustrious former leader :-)
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Crusaders certainly scored more than us ;)

Sounds like Jono Kitto will be playing ITM rugby for BOP.

The ITM season starts in August and Finshes 11th October.

Our season starts mid October.

It would be a miricle if BOP were to get into the finals given there record.

So he will be here start of season but how long before it I don't know.

Means preseason ATM it will be:

SH
Harrison
Tresidder
Prince (?)
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Faletau to Bath, how the hell can they possibly afford to sign him?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/33204859
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

It's not confirmed that Faletau is signing for Bath it's still talk at the minute. Bath have offloaded Fearns in preparation for signing a new 8 so there should be some spare cap.

Maybe it's better that Harrison and Tresidder get plenty of game time before the season. Harrison we expect to be the primary back up to Ben and Tresidder we are hoping is the next big thing. Game time in the senior environment will only help the pair of them.
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

sam16111986 wrote:It's not confirmed that Faletau is signing for Bath it's still talk at the minute. Bath have offloaded Fearns in preparation for signing a new 8 so there should be some spare cap.

Maybe it's better that Harrison and Tresidder get plenty of game time before the season. Harrison we expect to be the primary back up to Ben and Tresidder we are hoping is the next big thing. Game time in the senior environment will only help the pair of them.
It's not just Faletau's wages that would come under Bath's cap; whatever Bath pay to buy him out of his contract would also be in scope. The celery breach continues!
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
Farmboy

Post by Farmboy »

Wouldn't Faletau be the marque from outside the Prem?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Well Farmboy it'd be him or Priestland as the new marquee for them. Paul James has gone without being replaced so they might be actually close to the cap at present.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Cap, what cap, ha ha !!!
Mr Craig will have a tame Accountant who quite legally will undoubtedly find a way to drive a coach and horses through any rules and regulations !!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Well it depends on whether Bath were over or not initially. We suspect they are. They at present have released a greater value of players to those they have signed. Consider the cap has gone up and there's a second marquee allowed.

Young, Stringer, Fearns and James out. So far Matawalu, Priestland and a Dragons SH in.

Interesting to see that Sarries seem to staying quiet and have offloaded Johnstone from the payroll.

Some sort of deal going on? Sort yourselves out and we won't investigate you publicly?
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Just love the idea of a breach of "celery"! :smt002
Valhalla I am coming!