2014/15 Rumours/Contracts/Signings part 4

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 2014/15 Rumours/Contracts/Signings part 4

Post by JackFlashJonny »

tigerburnie wrote:Lote went back to league did he not? so he wasn't at the end of his career. I think he was probably the most skilful back I ever saw in a Tigers shirt, would certainly like to see another like him.

I stand corrected however this was back in 2009-10 season, so a good 5 years ago...Yes he was great to watch hopefully Betham can bring some of that over with him :smt023
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

L Smith wrote:
Hot_Charlie wrote:
Anyway, straw poll - who was the last "big name" player the club signed? We're talking major international star here?
Brad Thorn, previously, Lotti Tuquiri
Brad I think is a bit of an exception - I should have qualified my statement with "at the peak of their careers". :smt001

Lote Tuqiri - good point. Short term contract though (was it an injury dispensation?).

Before that probably our new head coach? :smt001
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Logovi'i Mulipola
Seremaia Baikeinuku
Sebastian de Chaves
Leonardo Ghiraldini
Christian Loamanu

All fairly big names TBH.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

tigerburnie wrote:Lote went back to league did he not? so he wasn't at the end of his career. I think he was probably the most skilful back I ever saw in a Tigers shirt, would certainly like to see another like him.
Concur with that, he made the game look simple (and the opposition too) which all great players do. Personally hope we get Pennell and a world-class 12, the latter being far more important IMO, indeed two of them would be even better. Also be chuffed if Tait stopped, international class 13.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote="jgriffin"]
Concur with that, he made the game look simple (and the opposition too) which all great players do. Personally hope we get Pennell and a world-class 12, the latter being far more important IMO, indeed two of them would be even better. Also be chuffed if Tait stopped, international class 13.[/quote]

Seconded.
Unfortunately though, Taity staying looks a forlorn wish. He and Geoff Parling had a farewell dinner last night for one of the charities they support - 'Gems'.
Seems there was a good Tigers turnout - any Forumites go?
covrich

Post by covrich »

Is Chris Pennell a Rumour with perhaps some potential validity or just a pipedream? I would be delighted if we could snap him up, seriously underrated player.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

MurphysLaw wrote:
jgriffin wrote: Concur with that, he made the game look simple (and the opposition too) which all great players do. Personally hope we get Pennell and a world-class 12, the latter being far more important IMO, indeed two of them would be even better. Also be chuffed if Tait stopped, international class 13.
Seconded.
Unfortunately though, Taity staying looks a forlorn wish. He and Geoff Parling had a farewell dinner last night for one of the charities they support - 'Gems'.
Seems there was a good Tigers turnout - any Forumites go?
Tait staying is purely to do with Bayonne get relegated then it is an option...We will have to wait until Saturday to see if this happens.. :smt023
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

covrich wrote:Is Chris Pennell a Rumour with perhaps some potential validity or just a pipedream? I would be delighted if we could snap him up, seriously underrated player.
I don't think I've heard anything concrete. Its probably fan driven. But we have been after him before and if Wuss don't go up, who knows.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

I'm actually coming round to the idea of the current back row balance.
Initially I was underwhelmed, but I've had time to reflect, and think we've been quite astute.

Fonua is the big wrecking ball that Vunipola is for Sarries, and Manoa has been for Saints.
In the recent Sarries v Tigers game, there appeared great concern about the damage Vunipola was going to do (ultimately scoring) when having repeated scrums on our line. Fonua is even bigger.

O'Connor, seen dribs and drabs of super rugby, but the general consensus I've seen from NZ based discussions, is he's a very very tidy signing. Not so much an out and out ground hog as Salvi, but as with all kiwi 7'a very efficient. Possibly a better carrier and lineout option than Salvi.

Williams, strikes me as a very sound replacement for Gibson, maybe not as rangy athletic, but I'd suggest more dynamic in terms of physicality. Neither has been hugely heralded upon arrival, but both had very positive stints at perceivably weaker teams, with their best years still to come.

Finally, McCaffery, this was the one I was most uncertain of, however as a replacement like for like for Barbieri, I'm definitely coming round to the idea. Saw a couple of YouTube clips, no doubting they can be edited as required, but did at least show a guy with decent athleticism, very tidy technique aronnd the breakdown, and a good work ethic and appreciation of support play. Don't imagine he's a big strain on the cap, and with Super 15 experience, equally no mug either.

From this I'm expecting our younger players to be pushed forwards, Owen as a natural 7, and Beckett/Milne as backup 6's.

Moving past the back row to front row, Bristow's departure I would assume is unexpected since he was under contract, but then his appearances have not been many, and with Brugnara's emergence and contract extension, plus Sio's inclusion in the Samoa train on squad, are we satisfied with what we have.

Finally, backline. We all know/have read the search is ongoing for a top class 12 and/or 15, well of Worcester don't make the promotion, I'd be happy with Pennell at 15, with the marquee slot assigned to a top class 12.

Only areas of remaining concern, is Mele replaced or Tresidder promoted? Only going in with 3 senior 9's makes me uneasy, as we are only ever an injury away during international windows of being left very short. Lock is the other position, but less of a concern, depending on if Wells rejoins or Whetton is retained, given we have Williams able to slide in from 6, with multiple options to cover blindside.

Not all doom and gloom. 12 & 15, come on in.....
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

MurphysLaw wrote:
TigerLad wrote:
Darc Tiger wrote:Its not that different really is it. Losing Salvi may prove the biggest hit, but I think some will be surprised by O'Connor and Williams. Not sure on McCaffrey, but he's played Super rugby. Got to have a bit about him. Fitzgerald is more a 2nd row, and has been playing well for Chiefs.
We've gone from having 3 international calibre players at 6 and 7 to having Croft and multiple unproven younger players. How many of our back row would get into SArries or Northamptons team? Croft maybe? That is what worries me.

I prefer to reserve judgement on these new signings. I doubt very much that you were heralding Gibson as 'international calibre' when his signing was announced.
I'm not sure what your definition of 'unproven' is, but from what I have seen and read, both O'Connor and Williams look to be good signings, although I think Williams has been playing at lock more than back row. McCaffrey looks to be a squad player, with potential.
Let's see what the picture looks like at the end of the merry-go-round.
Gibson had toured with the full England side to SA in 2012 and had played for England saxons and throughout the age groups, so you could say he was a very promising young player when he was signed. But the point I'm trying to make is that Gibson was signed as a clear 3rd choice behind Croft and Mafi, he quite rightly didn't expect to play much at first and he didn't, but over time he improved to the point where you could argue that he is now close to, if not already,international calibre. What we will have next season is Croft and Crane as our established players and the rest are new signings. That isn't great. Williams is supposedly a highly rated second row/6 but his only premiership experience was one season at Worcester when they got relegated. McCaffrey hasn't hugely impressed at Welsh. O'Connor might be good, Kiwi 7's tend to be but he's not a typical turnover winning 7 so it will be interesting to see how he develops. I want them to prove me wrong but it worries me that if we get injuries to Croft and O'Connor we would be down to a backrow of Williams, McCaffrey and Crane. It's not a hugely exciting prospect is it? Especially considering the last couple of seasons.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

We could have had a similar situation this season is Salvi had picked up a bad knock.

KEEP THE FAITH!
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Keep the Faith is down the road buddy...Wrong forum :smt023

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,2588 ... 47,00.html

London Irish have signeD Tikoirotuma from Quins...Another good singing for them odd how it hasn't worked for him at Quins as was brilliant for the Chiefs but then suppose life is a lot easier on the front foot...
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote="TigerLad"]
Gibson had toured with the full England side to SA in 2012 and had played for England saxons and throughout the age groups, so you could say he was a very promising young player when he was signed. But the point I'm trying to make is that Gibson was signed as a clear 3rd choice behind Croft and Mafi, he quite rightly didn't expect to play much at first and he didn't, but over time he improved to the point where you could argue that he is now close to, if not already,international calibre. What we will have next season is Croft and Crane as our established players and the rest are new signings. That isn't great. Williams is supposedly a highly rated second row/6 but his only premiership experience was one season at Worcester when they got relegated. McCaffrey hasn't hugely impressed at Welsh. O'Connor might be good, Kiwi 7's tend to be but he's not a typical turnover winning 7 so it will be interesting to see how he develops. I want them to prove me wrong but it worries me that if we get injuries to Croft and O'Connor we would be down to a backrow of Williams, McCaffrey and Crane. It's not a hugely exciting prospect is it? Especially considering the last couple of seasons.[/quote]

Take the first choice 7 out of most sides and they would struggle a tad - it is one of those positions where there is a dearth of top quality. We certainly would have struggled even more this season had Salvi been crocked.
In a sense, with your citing of Gibson's development, you have answered your own, premature imo, criticism of the announced arrivals. Let's hope the likes of Williams and McCaffrey can mirror Gibson.
Without Croft and O'Connor, in addition to a backrow of Williams, McCaffrey and Crane, there's Fanuoa, Pearce, Slater, and the likes of Owens, Thacker, Beckett and Milne. Not too shabby a prospect imo.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

JackFlashJonny wrote:Keep the Faith is down the road buddy...Wrong forum :smt023
I think you've said that before JFJ. What's the Foxes provenance for the slogan? We've got Bill, who I believe first used the phrase in the 1880's, although it wasn't colour coded until some years later.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

h's dad wrote:
JackFlashJonny wrote:Keep the Faith is down the road buddy...Wrong forum :smt023
I think you've said that before JFJ. What's the Foxes provenance for the slogan? We've got Bill, who I believe first used the phrase in the 1880's, although it wasn't colour coded until some years later.
:smt003 haha To me it just oozes Leicester City and I think it is a poor slogan...

Faith has nothing to do with sport in my opinion (not that it even insinuates faith in that context) and I have just always hated it :smt003

It is a slogan I imagine the falcons could have, a team who is just hoping to stay up each year..